Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many of you lads change your own tyres.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:14 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: How many of you lads change your own tyres. Reply with quote

Got the CG125 in May with a brand new pair of tyres and now the rear one is just about at the limit. I have a new one that I bought online and called at my local tyre place and asked him what he would charge to change the tyres if I brought the wheel and tyre in. He said he didn't do bike tyres. The nearest place likely to do tyres to me is twenty miles away.

I have three tyre levers for bikes, but haven't changed a bike tyre in about forty years. I know how to walk the tyre off the rim, so I'm not entirely clueless and I've changed dozens of bicycle tyres so I know about not nipping the tube.

Is it worth doing it DIY, or is it a stick it in the back of the car jobby and waiting to collect it?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:21 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: How many of you lads change your own tyres. Reply with quote

Where's the can of worms emoticon? Laughing

After being charged £12.50 for a tyre change at a trackday I gave up and got a bead breaker (always done dirt bike tyres myself in the past, but sports bikes can be a bit more hassle to break the bead.)

CG125 should be pretty easy to do.
I'd get some proper tyre soap (though I've used all sorts without it) and consider some weights to balance it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have ordered a box of Google with the tire. 😂

You'll need tyre lube.
Levers.
Maybe rim protectors.
And a balanced.
And sticky weights.
Compressor.
Gauge.
New valve.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:48 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got levers, would plan to use washing up liquid soap and the tyre is a tubed type. To be honest these little tyres are almost mountain bike sized so it shouldn't be too hard. The walls are a lot thicker than bicycle tyres to be fair. I'm not overly fussed about the rims for a twenty year old commuter bike. I have two levers from my old BMW bike kit. They are only about five inches long, but are sturdy and I have another longer lever which is about 8 or 9 inches long.

I suppose I'll know if this is going to work easily when I try to get off the old one.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do.

Motion pro levers (more than paid for themselves).

You can use an old cut up oil bottle as rim protectors.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
I've got levers, would plan to use washing up liquid soap and the tyre is a tubed type. To be honest these little tyres are almost mountain bike sized so it shouldn't be too hard. The walls are a lot thicker than bicycle tyres to be fair. I'm not overly fussed about the rims for a twenty year old commuter bike. I have two levers from my old BMW bike kit. They are only about five inches long, but are sturdy and I have another longer lever which is about 8 or 9 inches long.

I suppose I'll know if this is going to work easily when I try to get off the old one.

You should be fine, especially if it's tubed. Like TDT I use cut up bottles as rim protectors, fizzy drink ones are good because the plastic's tougher than the polythene ones.

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:20 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: How many of you lads change your own tyres. Reply with quote

BusterGonads wrote:
....so I'm not entirely clueless and I've changed dozens of bicycle tyres so I know about not nipping the tube....

Go for it. You don't need much in the way of equipment.
Tyre levers, a few balancing weights. As I'm a stingy bastard,
I reuse the old weights by replacing the double-sided tape.
I use a pair of axle stands (or kitchen chairs) a long 1/2"
socket extension bar and a medium size planet for wheel balancing.
As TDT said, you can cut up a plastic bottle or some reinforced
garden hose to make rim protectors. A few blocks of timber,
a long length of timber and a hole on the wall for breaking
the bead.

Quote:
Is it worth doing it DIY

I always do my own. I would hate to buy tyres online
and then have to beg the local shop to fit them.

Consider all costs like new valves (or tubes), balance
weights and disposal of the old tyres.

Don't use a lot of force with the tyre levers. If you
have to push hard, you are doing it wrong.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:31 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll have a go. Some of the points made about balancing probably don't apply to the slow little CG125 which mostly lives at about 55 mph and is absolutely flat out at 63 mph. I'll wait for a warmish day as I have to work outside in the garden and then I'll get to it. I have done it before about 1969, but all I can remember about it was swearing and hurting my hands with tiny tyre levers. It did get done though.

Cheers.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:29 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my KTM which had horribly unbalanced wheels at points, thanks to the tubliss system, I only really noticed it above 60 to 65mph.

However - you don't need a fancy balancer to balance wheels generally - you can generally get a pretty decent result with a slightly smaller rod through the bearings. Rest your rod (a threaded rod will do if you have one around) between two chairs. I have now got a balancer kit that goes on a paddock stands now, but did okay before with the above.

So if you can, I probably would, though it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubed tyres do myself, Tubeless get someone else to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about balancing, if it has weights stuck on try not to disturb them.
I've mostly done them myself but low-profile tyres nowadays are difficult to break the bead as there is almost no sidewall to work on with makeshift ways to get it in.
Tubelessness is nothing to be scared of except more care needed not to scratch the rim, and getting them to seal again is sometimes problematic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done tubes + tubless. Even with protectors I chipped a couple of rims, so last 3 years, I leave the tubeless to tyre shop.

CG125 though, skinny tyres and presumably unpainted rims, would do myself.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:13 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I wouldn't worry about balancing, if it has weights stuck on try not to disturb them.
I've mostly done them myself but low-profile tyres nowadays are difficult to break the bead as there is almost no sidewall to work on with makeshift ways to get it in.
Tubelessness is nothing to be scared of except more care needed not to scratch the rim, and getting them to seal again is sometimes problematic.

The weights are to counter balance uneveness is the tire not the wheel.

Tires are made using a material that makes it impossible to achieve prefect conformity.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_balance

There is a chance the out of balance may be imperceptible but that is a fat chance.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:36 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like a push-bike tyre they are, ie big in diameter and skinny in section, easier they are to spoon on and off.

The regulation comp-trials tyre sizes are 21x2.85 front, 18x4.00 rear; pretty much the sort of size fitted to bikes of old....

Ownleeeee they started making trials 'slicks' un tubless, in the mid 90's... this was a 'bit' of a bugger, when I came to spoon one on the back.... "Yeah, just chuck a tuibe init... be fyne... 'sother way about wont work" Err... yeah... dont really work that way around! I think I gave up and drove to ATS with my fists, palming the gear-lever!

Tubless have a bloomin stiff carcas, and are best left to folk with a machine! Even in the smaller sizes.

Small and tubes, like a push bike? No Prob.... err.. well, yeah, must be the valve...... oh, no, a new valve hasn't fixed it.... oh buggah! Oh! look, there it is.....nipped the tube.... effinbludyleverthingawotsitcrappyindianrubberborrOX!

So given the choice..... I tend to take'm to ATS, or better still, since I have a really good tyre emporium, Central Wheels, at Coleshill, just round the corner from the Basset's pole dodge the quad-chav meet, I just get6 my tyres there, and get them to fit'em!

If you check the pup-post, I DID make Snowie suffer, spooning the new Mitchelin M45's on her Super-Dream during renovation.... why should I be the only one to suffer! And she wanted the 'experience'... no point missing chunks of it! And besides... I wanted to watch things jiggle as she jumped up and down on the side-wall trying to break/seat the bead!.... HEY that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

But, if you DIY, decent levers, rim-tectors, lots of soap and old fashioned block soap you can use like grease 'helps'... make sure you dont get the valve cocked, and a little air, I mean a very little, can help as you work round the tyre making sure the tube's centered before tying to pop it on the bead.

Good luck....

PS.... the old tube is useful for cutting up to make short bungees, big rubber bands, fork-gaiters, shock gaiters, improvised side-stand springs etc... and motorbike sized repair patches.... lots of sanding needed to get a key on them though, and watch the ribs and edges..... they WILL likely come in handy when the tube gets pinched! lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the zip tie method before (youtube it) with success, but the absolute best advice I can give you is to do it during a summer heatwave or indoors with the heating on. Warm rubber tyres flex and move an awful lot more when they are compared to mid winter in a freezing cold garage. Not to mention tools being nicer to use when they're not turning your hands numb.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the skinny ones on the wife's 125 and the bairn's moped, but I leave the Bandit to the pros.

Too much like hard work for me! Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:24 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, for the OP - do check some youtube videos etc to remind yourself of the techniques.
Most importantly being too make sure the bead is in the dip in the rim where possible - otherwise you may discover how rubber can be stronger than metal! Smile

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Tubless have a bloomin stiff carcas, and are best left to folk with a machine! Even in the smaller sizes.

While it can be a bit more work to get the tyre on and off, not needing to worry about the tube can make it easier.

Modern track tyres are made with very stiff sidewalls, so the rear can be run in the 20-26psi kind of pressure when hot.

But I still manage okay changing a tyre between sessions at a trackday. And have done fine on a variety of other sizes too.

Note that the only tyres I've given up on was on my trials bike - I didn't have a bead breaker then, but did use a 20t jack under my circa-7t lorry.
It lifted the lorry up and pushed the base I'd put under the tyre into the ground a bit, but didn't break the bead.
Paddy eventually took it to a bike shop, where they had serious trouble - forget the outcome, but possibly it had been glued or something?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:16 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

While it can be a bit more work to get the tyre on and off, not needing to worry about the tube can make it easier.

Modern track tyres are made with very stiff sidewalls, so the rear can be run in the 20-26psi kind of pressure when hot.

Off-Topic But WTH... that was the major 'feature' of tubless trials slicks. In trials, depending on surface, I might run the 'tubed' pressure in the back as low as 5-6psi. When tubless trials slicks were introduced, 'They' said.... that they could be run down to atmospheric/ zero psi, 'just' on the side-wall stiffness.... and ho/hum, it's not that far off.

Niggle is, that on a conventional spoked wheel rim, you still have to fit a tube, or all the air escapes through the spoke holes!!!

Spoked tubeless wheels, dont just have a different rim form to mount the tubless tyre, they have a completely different construction, often sort of 'in-side-out' with a flange on the rim and the nipples on the hub.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: tyres Reply with quote

me, car tyres also.......when i have to, like changing tyres from other wheels, but for new car tyres i let the supplier do them, new valve and balance in the price.

I take the old casing to the council recycle place rather than pay the fitters the £4 surcharge.......or grow spuds in them.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I change all of my tyres,the tubeless ones being the easiest.The tubed tyres on the enduro bike are a pain as locating the inner tube valve stem through the hole in the rim is not that easy due to the sidewall stiffness on new tyres.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/2013-05-05184720_zpsd28e1d3d.jpg~original

As for balancing,it is far more important to be done on the front on the rear.I pay far more time and attention getting the front properly balanced than I do the rear,where I only go to the nearest 10g weight.For this I bought a rig from Hein Gerickes a few years ago when it was only about £30.I also reuse old weights,like a previous poster does,using strong double sided tape.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20170401_160527_zps5keoueyy.jpg~original

I used to change the tyres on my CB125S back in the '70s.Easy then.Could probably do the same work without levers nowadays,using plenty of tyre soap.Watered down washing up liquid is cheap and readily available.Just be sure to wipe the bottle before the other half goes to use it.... Embarassed

Always have a 'Plan B'

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't got no time fo that shit....

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:56 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my old mousse changer for breaking the bead on tyres and also for holding the wheel steady. I also Buzzetti levers (another throw back to changing mousses) and they are superb. The 50 litre compressor I bought a few years back is the best money I've ever spent. I wouldn't dream of paying someone to change tyres on my bikes.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:57 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my old mousse changer for breaking the bead on tyres and also for holding the wheel steady. I also Buzzetti levers (another throw back to changing mousses) and they are superb. The 50 litre compressor I bought a few years back is the best money I've ever spent. I wouldn't dream of paying someone to change tyres on my bikes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about getting the kit to do this because it seems like a cool think to know about, but if I ordered tyres on-line I'd have to be in to receive them. Alternatively if I'm buying from the bike shop I might as well ride there or, in the case of a rebuild a few years ago, take the wheels down there in the car and get the professionals to do it. Probably less chance of paint chips, and they dispose of the old tyres.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:05 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was down in town today in the car and I had need to go to ATS about a slow puncture. While discussing the new tyre, I mentioned the little CG tyre thinking he would just say, 'drop it off and give 'us a tenner.'

No chance.

"Na - we don't do bike tyres anymore.' he said.

That's two out of two refusals at specialist tyre shops. I wasn't asking for it to be done for nowt or the price of a pint, but they won't do them at all.

What do they know that I don't - besides how to do the job efficiently?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3