BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bus fine.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Bus fine. Reply with quote

So the wife has an all-inclusive bus/train/metro pass and it had expired by one day (wife was unaware), it ran out yesterday. My wife is honest and when the minions from the WM travel were on the bus inspecting tickets they found hers 1 day out of date and want to shove a £40 fine up her. I'm wondering if it's like those parking fines that are an Invoice and not a proper parking fine or is it a case of 'Pay or court appearance'?

Yes she used it so in all fairness WM Travel were within their rights but it was out by one day and not like a week out or something fraudulent like that.

So when the fine arrives should she pay it? ignore it or what? she gave them her name and address when questioned along with her date of birth. There were 2 male bully boys inspectors that told her she could go to prison if she failed to comply, I know I know, but it's the wife and I've got to appear sympathetic or else I'll be sleeping on the sofa tonight with no cooked tea inside me. The fine goes up to £70 if they don't get payment within 21 days.

Any help appreciated.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, you are married to a heinous criminal. Shocked

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Oh dear, you are married to a heinous criminal. Shocked

She's from Tipton which probably explains a lot.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle better Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Motorcycle better Wink

My wife had an operation and a bone removed from her left foot and so she can't upshift comfortably yet, the bike is locked away until summer next year so she is on public transport.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen pal! She might of missed a fare and might of got away without paying Evil or Very Mad
Take her out into the garden and beat her with a stick Thumbs Up

Shit luck, but the chances of an appeal in her favour would be remote.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I was asking does it NEED to be paid or is it an invoice like those non council parking charges?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:14 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those non council parking tickets do have to be paid.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pay it and move on.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a mate taken to court for an expired student pass on a train, it only let you get a half price ticket and he was going one stop, so underpaid by around 70p. Due to an admin cock up, he never received any notice of a fine until a court summons appeared.
Fine was waived in court and he got off with paying the 70p and he made sure they gave him change out of his quid.
[/tef]

The point is, if Northern Rail are happy to go to court over 70p, I'd imagine that WM Travel would too.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth writing a quick letter; you never know.

I got clobbered for a council parking ticket some years ago after I rushing back to the car to find a jumped up little twat parking warden slapping on a ticket. I wrote a letter explaining (100% truthfully) how I'd overstayed by only 6 minutes; it was my first offence in 20+ years living in the town, and that the reason I was late was that I'd been to the barber with my son for haircuts ahead of my Dad's funeral the following day and the queue had been longer than expected. I even enclosed a copy of his death certificate.

"Fuck off" (in effect) came the reply... Rolling Eyes
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:27 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Wanker Very Happy

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
Bus Wanker Very Happy

*snaps fingers*
Damn, I only opened this thread to put that myself Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:50 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
She travelled without paying, got caught and faces a pretty small fine.
What's the problem? Why do you feel a victim here?

Just pay it. She fecked up and got caught. Intentionally or not, she didn't have a valid ticket to travel. Suck it up.

Words of wisdom from our forum Sociopath.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:02 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP1ebLK3b9M

It is fucking out of order when these fucking Stazi 'Pubic' Servants read the letter of the rules for this kind of issue.

In mitigation, they are maybe afraid that they are being audited by another shower of pricks though ('Secret Cunt') so cannot show any discretion and waive the rule for the sake of one day over the contract.

A bit like DVLA. The computer says...

I got banged up (fined) for no MOT on a bike. I had not used it for a while.

The PoPo man and (very pretty) PoPo Girl were very sympathetic and said if they had any input they would have issued a producer.
The bike was legal and I was not riding it like a tit.
They said the APNR sends a signal to PoPo Central (HAL) and that bastart informs DVLA and then those Taffy Cnuts hit me for the fine.

£100 Fixed Penis. (Nil points.)

I got the beast MOTed that same afternoon too.

I did get Pretty PoPo girl's phone number though.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK seems increasingly fucked. Common sense has been usurped by petty rules and a sense of fear over what might happen if one thinks sensibly with their own grey matter.

Forty quid fine for a blatant honest mistake is madness. Hell even if she deliberately used it on that day, just take a note then tell her she can't use it any more.

Common human decency has gone well out of the window.

mpd72 CPT wrote:
She travelled without paying, got caught and faces a pretty small fine.
What's the problem? Why do you feel a victim here?

Just pay it. She fecked up and got caught. Intentionally or not, she didn't have a valid ticket to travel. Suck it up.

You always go on about the UK being broken. Perhaps it's time to realise that attitudes like yours are a symptom and a cause of the ever worsening state of British society.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:53 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
They said the APNR sends a signal to PoPo Central (HAL) and that bastart informs DVLA and then those Taffy Cnuts hit me for the fine.

Problem with that is the MOT (or lack thereof) is nothing to do with the DVLA.

gov.uk wrote:
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) cannot take action against a vehicle with no MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:13 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a genuine mistake, I have done similar when my parking permit ran out in westminster. I sent a groveling letter apologizing for my forgetfulness and explaining that I have always been compliant to our overlords in the past.

They wrote back saying they had checked their records and could see I was normally a good boy so gave me the benefit of the doubt and canceled the PCN.

Always worth a bash.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
Sounds like a genuine mistake, I have done similar when my parking permit ran out in westminster.

Given the fact most people either have a smart phone or computer....

Which has access to a calendar function....

Always worth a bash Shocked

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

You always go on about the UK being broken. Perhaps it's time to realise that attitudes like yours are a symptom and a cause of the ever worsening state of British society.

What's wrong with this country is the growing number of people who wont take responsibility for their own actions. People who do wrong and want to blame everyone but themselves, be addressed as the victim and then try to find ways or wriggling out of dealing with the events of their own making.

It doesn't surprise me that you can't see it that way.

No, 'taking responsibility' amounts to, "Oh sorry, didn't realise, I'll get off the bus."

Being forced to pay an arbitrary fine of £40 is where the problem is. Who decided it should be that much? What costs is the £40 covering? What damages? What injury? What if the fine was £1000? Whose side would you be on then?

But it doesn't surprise me that you can't see it that way.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever done the job Percy? Why am I asking that? Course you haven't.

The costs of prosecution x 1000's are huge. Why should properly paying passengers have to fund that as well???
There has to be a deterrent too or lots more people would accidently on purpose 'forget' to pay as well. As an ex London
bus driver I have some experience of this kind of thing. Typically when revenue protection (a team of two to four inspectors,
half for upstairs and half for down) get on there's a sudden attempted exodus from the vehicle of all of those who had stayed
on past the point they had paid to get to, or not at all in some cases. Many passengers still use the old sneak on the
back doors while the driver is distracted routine. Not to mention those that 'forget' to tap their oyster cards. I can't
imagine why the holes in peoples memory seem to appear precisely at the moment of payment. Honestly I can't.

Nowadays in addition, a group of maybe 8 or 10 more inspectors wait on the pavement along with a copper or twelve to keep
the peace when the people caught make a (predictable) huge dramatic scene often using the racism word freely and loudly as
many times as possible. Diverse teams of inspectors are used deliberately for this purpose. "You're only doing this because
I'm black/brown/yellow/foreign" doesn't really work when the inspector is also a POC. Oddly it's the first comment you
would hear from certain offenders. Why is that??? The bus isn't allowed to move while this is all going on and you
have to keep the doors open front and rear during the process so I'd clearly hear all the loud, over the top protesting about
how it was everybody else's fault but their own.

Back in the old days just two inspectors would board a bus, travel a few stops while they checked everybodys ticket then
they would get off and wait for the next one. Once upon a time that was plenty to get the job done. I should know, my
own father was a plain clothes revenue inspector for some years himself. He worked for London Transport in a variety
of roles for some 27 years, almost as long as you've been a student. For some reason, the same job needs 4 on the bus
and a mixed team 20 odd Police/PCSO and more revenue staff on the pavement to cope with the numbers. Can only imagine
that extra bodies are needed because the problem has gotten far worse, plus now you are quite likely to get stabbed
for having the gall to bring one of the usual suspects to book for cheating the system. Part and parcel etc... Rolling Eyes

I could give you some descriptions of the typical people you would see being caught out by revenue and are seen
waving their arms about and shouting the toss about foul play when caught. But you won't like the un-biased answer.
I've seen the same person caught three days on the bounce. When you are the 8 o'clock bus every day, the passengers
are all the ones that catch the 8 o'clock bus every day, so you get regulars. Good and bad.

But obviously my years of of IRL experience as a London bus driver mean nothing. I suppose you think it should all
just be free, a common condition of those who lean to the left. Thing is the person whose job it is to drive that bus can
also be booked by revenue for failing to pursue a fare dodger if they should happen to spot someone who should have
gotten off some stops ago. Just to avoid confusion booked means disciplinary action, a common pitfall for not doing ones
job properly. Potentially affecting that persons ability to feed their family as they rely on the wages for the dull, repetitive,
stressful, thankless and soul destroying work that driving a bus is. I'm sure you can only imagine what that feels like.

Fare evasion is usually deliberate and a well practiced tactic by those who do it. I'd say the ratio of POC vs whitey
being caught not paying their way is about 80/20. Maybe making it free for everyone is the answer, but with a typical
double decker bus costing North of 120k. The constant schemes to reduce emissions meaning keeping the fleets new and eco
friendly as possible to comply is an ongoing and continual process. This makes running a bus company quite an expensive
business. As is always the case, the "it should be free" screechers aren't so quick to offer alternative means of paying for
whatever it is they believe they should be entitled to for nothing.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:15 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that is why there's next to no chance of someone being let off when they've made a genuine mistake with something like their pass being one day out of date.

Then again, if my out of date pass was allowed yesterday, I might as well use it today since the chances of being caught two days in a row is pretty slim.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2