Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HONDA SUPERDREAM 250 HAYNES MANUAL OWNERS? CAM BELT SETTINGS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sashablaze87
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:38 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: HONDA SUPERDREAM 250 HAYNES MANUAL OWNERS? CAM BELT SETTINGS Reply with quote

hey there! so I bought a 1981/82 Honda superdream 250N deluxe off ebay, and it was running on choke for a while, the dude who sold it didn't know shit, compared even to ME! The battery had been run flat, and so after getting him to order a new one for me, I was really enjoying the runabout, very much (being used to 125s thus far myself) until...

I found out after riding it from sussex to somerset (mmm what a ride) it had a leak out the bottom of the carb...so after spending too much on fuel to get it home, and having to make sure the fuel tap was very accurately turned off(one day I found the fire brigade tinkering with my bike, when I came out of work!), I took the carbs apart, and cleaned them.

That's when I found out that the air filters had disintegrated (factory part I would assume! rubber with mesh) a shitload.

I was stupid enough to do a bodge job to patch them up, underestimating the power of the intake, and when I fitted the new air filters on the intake, adjusting the fuel inlet screws on the carbs, and getting the idle right where I wanted it, after watching numerous youtube vids, I rode it and after a mile encountered a CRUNCHING GRINDING ( Sad ) _ I took it home, turned off...and researched more. I guess some of the mesh has gotten sucked in the intake, and is being rubbed against the bore by the pistonhead or some shit (such a green thumb).

I want this bike back on the road. It's fun. I spoken to 2 mechanics, and I am looking at taking the cylinder head off, and getting stuck in to my biggest job on a bike yet after the carbs and air filters (and readjusting forks and brakes and carb jets on my last bikes)

Does anyone have a Haynes manual? Someone who would be willing to send me pdf or pics of the cam timing settings? I don't have the spare money to buy it yet, as just got given notice at my job, and spending money on buses to work is killing me.

I want to do this myself, I feel confident.

Thanks

ONE LOVE

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased you feel confident.

250Ns have a single foam filter as standard, fitted in an airbox - sounds as though you have some sort of K&N knock off and Superdreams don't really like pod filters.

Your fuel leak problem is likely due to fitting pattern needle valves, get a genuine Honda carb rebuild kit from David Silver - might solve the issue, but might not, SDs have very fussy carbs, you may need to get another set.

To do the job you're contemplating, 15 quid for a Haynes manual is the least of your problems, so just shell out and forget about it.

BTW, SDs don't have cam belts, they have chains, in common with almost all OHC bikes (Gold Wings, a few Ducatis and some other obscure stuff notwithstanding).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: superdream Reply with quote

Oh dear.......

Get a manual, see cmsnl for the exploded views and print them off if you can, but study study study them..........just the engine for now.

Make your self aware of the cam chain and its system, the balance chain and its system, the ign system and the 4 sometimes very very very troublesome 4 centre head bolts !!!!

If the engine has swolled some air filter mesh ( see cmsnl as there are 2 sheets, one with a steel hole plate and an other with a steel frame much lower down the oe airbox ) then a diasaster as the head will very probably have to come off, those 4 centre head bolts.......

Its a 250 so a rather "wet" bike, but still good fun in the twisties, but challenging on modern roads with overtakes planed well well well in advance.

I think there is a manual on here and a wiring diagram.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: superdream Reply with quote

I want this bike back on the road. It's fun. I spoken to 2 mechanics, and I am looking at taking the cylinder head off, and getting stuck in to my biggest job on a bike yet after the carbs and air filters (and readjusting forks and brakes and carb jets on my last bikes)

So you have done some stuff ( and now the bike is fucked ) and have some experience.....you know of honda methods and how a 4 stroke ohc works??

Cam chain timing is quite straight forward as long as you follow certain rules like only turn the engine over in the normal direction of rotation, which is common sense to most.........but not all.

Using cmsnl you will see the cam chain system and hopefully read the pictures and sus out what does what, even the names of the parts can help......study study study the pictures and get a manual.

So, using cmsnl, and removing the easy parts like the cam cover and flywheel cover, what do you see ??

Some marks on the flywheel like f and t and a couple of others, and, knowing how the 4 t cycle works ( s, s, b and b, or, i, c, p and e ( if you are now baffled, find out how the cycle works ) ) watch what happens when the flywheel is turned in the correct direction of rotation and what marks align with what, that is assuming all is ok, you heard a bang crunch etc., has the engine run since and turns over ok ??

Anyways you have some studying to do and info to find out....

These bikes have a cult status these days, god knows why as the 250 is wet.......but the 400 is a good bike. There are some dedicated forums for these, some better than others, so find one or 2 or 3 even and have a look see.........many on here have had a superdream in the past, some even have some now.

sasha....are you a female ? not that it matters as there are well qualified female engineers and doctors out there......i owe my life to some.

any pictures of the bike ??
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 194 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1