Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1994 CB500 cleanup

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:41 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: 1994 CB500 cleanup Reply with quote

Hi guys,

after a brief run in with bike thieves (twice now Mad ) I decided with winter coming aswell it was probably best to get a commuter bike rather than keep using the 600RR.

I managed to get an absolute steal with a CB500 for £450. Its got no rust looks really good for its age. It's got 32k miles and had been sat in a garage for the past 5 years. I've bought a load of bits to do a complete service: plugs, oil, filters etc.

Its got a few issues which I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on. I feel like they are all carb related. The first one is that it seems to not hold its idle off the choke, but will idle on choke with no problem around 2k RPM. The second issue is it seems to have a misfire but only when riding it around (I noticed after a longer ride on manifold pipe was much hotter than the other one but if its idling both stay the same temperature.) I am hoping the spark plug swap may fix that.

Anyone come across these issues?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change oil, filters (oil, air, fuel) and plug's. Clean carbs, especially jets.

Until then, it's stabbing in the dark.

Chances are you'll need to change the tyres after standing for 5 years.

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since I've taken a carb apart. Is it worth trying by cleaning it with carb cleaner first before taking it apart? I assume it will need re-sync etc if I take it apart.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Change oil, filters (oil, air, fuel) and plug's. Clean carbs, especially jets.

Until then, it's stabbing in the dark.

Chances are you'll need to change the tyres after standing for 5 years.

What he said.

Pay particular attention to the idle jets as they are small and easily gunked up. Would explain it dying off choke.

Get a big can of carb cleaner and blast the ever loving shit out of them!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 04 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:
Been awhile since I've taken a carb apart. Is it worth trying by cleaning it with carb cleaner first before taking it apart? I assume it will need re-sync etc if I take it apart.

You don't need to strip it down, just give it a clean, remove any gummy/varnished fuel. You will need to pull some parts off of it (Bowl etc) to do that. Jets are likely blocked - make sure you clean those. Worth a few seconds to check the floats are all at a similar level.

You'll find metric fucktons of tutorials online in written and video form if you have a google.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

binfieldx wrote:

Just take the float bowls off, pop out the float and needle and blast the shit out of all the holes and passages with carb cleaner.

**edit**

https://myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm

good guide, your carbs shouldn't be too different.

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:53 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appeared to have ballsed up re-fitting the carbs to the bike. Did the classic thing where i've forgotten where the different tubes went into it. Being a complete retard here when I say I can't see where the fuel pipe goes into the carb from the tank, does it go into something else first like a pump or something?

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:39 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well i've found where the fuel line went-doh. Cleaned the carb up and the bike turned over on choke it ran for 1minute or so then idled low and stopped, now it cranks but never turns over, any ideas?

Should the fuel tap be vacuum or non vacuum? if I open the tap when the tanks off the bike no fuel comes out of it. I'm not sure fuel is getting to the carb cause if I put it all on and take the fuel hose off after crank it looks dry, no fuel in it

binfieldx
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so it is vacuumed, connected the fuel line and thevacuum one from the tank and its pulling fuel into the carbs now (confirmed by leaking the bowls) problem now is it doesn't turn over on/off choke. sounds like it wants to and smells like it but never cranks.

Edit-

I've just purchased new plugs and swapped them out. The old two i removed, one side was dark brown/wet and the other side was just wet. replaced with 2 brand new ones both confirmed sparking fine beforehand with the caps. Still doesn't crank, took the new plugs out one was brown and wet and the other one still looked normal nothing on it...Any ideas?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:13 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put fresh fuel in it?

Have you put the plug caps back on the right way round.

Is the kill switch on?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1