Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

teacht ar an Scot

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: teacht ar an Scot Reply with quote

What are peoples thoughts on Scotland using a similar Norwegian method of self government?

Do you think Scottish independence will happen in the next 10 years?

What will this mean to the English, Welsh and Northern Irish man on the street?

Would Scottish Independence rally Wales and potentially Northern Island to consider such things?

My answers are; I've lived in Norway so yes if I believe Scotland's social, economic and healthcare systems would be boosted.

Yes I think there is no doubt there will be Scottish Independence in the next 10 years. If the current Westminster farce continues anyway. Jeeps I heard we're toting Donald Trump for next PM! So instead of BREXIT we'll get TRUMPIT.

Scottish independence would make no noticeable difference to the man on the street in NI, England or Wales. Except we'd need to bring in Irish labour to rebuild Hadrians Wall.

Yes it would help rally at least Wales, maybe NI and most likely Cornwall for their own independence

I don't normally post in politics so go easy on me Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could only afford "independence" by attaching themselves to the Euro teat, and I'm not sure the EU itself can afford to take on more waifs and strays.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/17/nicola-sturgeon-urged-apologise-30-billion-north-sea-oil-lie/#comments
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are not yet as technologically advanced as the Norwegians with regard to subsea Oil and Gas developments. Hell West Africa has more Research and development on deep water subsea projects.

Everyone fails to realise that there is ridiculous quantities of oil and Gas west of the Shetland Isles, just the water is too deep and the major operators aren't yet ready to invest in technology that the Norwegians already have.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:58 - 05 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotchland deserves independence. Thumbs Up

Let all of the UK vote on it next time, not just the Scottish. Mr. Green

I can't see Wales or Northern Ireland wanting to go it alone but if they want to then so be it.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Scotchland deserves independence. Thumbs Up

Let all of the UK vote on it next time, not just the Scottish. Mr. Green

I can't see Wales or Northern Ireland wanting to go it alone but if they want to then so be it.

Aye

I agree

I agree that they should have their own choice. I am a Scottish Nationalist. I know many Englishmen and basically we have the same sense of humour, lifestyle and love of drink. So we will always be best of friends, unlike the relationship between North and South of England Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:05 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
How do you envisage Scotland will fund its inflated benefits drain?

Not our problem. Laughing

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Aye

I agree

I agree that they should have their own choice. I am a Scottish Nationalist. I know many Englishmen and basically we have the same sense of humour, lifestyle and love of drink. So we will always be best of friends, unlike the relationship between North and South of England Laughing

We will want a wall with Scotland I think. Mostly because we won't want the civil war to spill over into England. Oh, you think the anti-independence Scots are going to just accept their vote being ignored? Laughing

Still no currency (the Eurozone don't want you BTW!). No answer for where the money is coming from. Tories seem to be shifting the SNP out anyway.

Also, you jest about North vs South (aka London). Scottish independence is essentially Glasgow/Edinburgh vs rest of Scotland. It's amazing how nats always think they have the right to speak for ALL Scots.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/gif/2014/09/ScottishReferendumMap.png

Remember that oil figure?

Nicola Sturgeon’s economic case for independence is “in tatters”, it has been claimed after official forecasts for North Sea tax revenues were cut again by more than a third.

The Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) downgraded its forecast for offshore receipts by 37 per cent since last November’s Autumn Statement, from £7.3 billion over the next five years to £4.6 billion.

The most that oil and gas is projected to contribute to the public purse in any single tax year between 2017/18 and 2021/22 is £1 billion.

Labour and the Tories pointed out that the Scottish Government had Scottish revenues of up to £11.8billion in 2017-18 alone prior to the independence referendum, a figure they described as “a tissue of lies”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/08/snps-economic-case-tatters-oil-forecasts-cut-third/

mpd72 CPT wrote:
If England had a choice in your “freedom” from the massive subsidy’s we have to pay you, we’d mostly jump at the chance.

How do you envisage Scotland will fund its inflated benefits drain?

Oil? Dream on.

Corbyn style. Pledge everything people want then deal with it afterwards. In Brexit Britain is a net contributor, but in Indy2 Scotland is a net recipient. Obviously the nats will try to cook the figures but we all know they don't have the money or else they would be subsidising England right now.

As for the EU they don't want Scotland because its a net loss. It's quite hypothetical though as the rest of Scotland is just as likely to break off from Glasgow/Edinburgh and rejoin rUK as Scotland is to vote for independence in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you have your own football team doesn't make you a country. Your a conquest of England, a rather insignificant colony on our northern border with a yappy little wee cranky woman who thinks people take notice of her Laughing making funny noises that we will ignore.

Remember Culloden.

As for Welsh Independence, no. They aren't as stupid as you lot. They know which side their bread is buttered.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, have all the independence. Maybe England will then get free NHS prescriptions.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a pity many Scots feel this way. I think it's a pity many of us have come to feeling this way about EU membership. I think it's a pity large segments of the US population have come to feel they need someone like Donald Trump.
"Government for the people, by the people." Unfortunately, I think politicians in democratic countries have forgotten this. And so the people have been pushed into corners, from which they have felt the need to send a message. What I worry about is, will the politicians heed that message and act appropriately on it? (Will capitalism and globalism even allow them to?) I dread to think how things will go if they are left feeling the need to send ever stronger messages.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I think it's a pity many Scots feel this way.

So do I. Having some Jock ancestry and valuing Scotland in the Union, and all that.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
We are not yet as technologically advanced as the Norwegians with regard to subsea Oil and Gas developments. Hell West Africa has more Research and development on deep water subsea projects.

Everyone fails to realise that there is ridiculous quantities of oil and Gas west of the Shetland Isles, just the water is too deep and the major operators aren't yet ready to invest in technology that the Norwegians already have.

It's an interesting area for discussion. The UK government expressed financial interest in deepwater drilling around a decade ago. It's possible that something will happen, but there are conflicts.

Among the conflicts are direct environmental issues, economies of both production and scale, and alternative source availability (and political considerations) influencing price.

In the medium term there's also the problem (for producers) that there is a big push to reduce the consumption of fossil fuels. The UK, for instance, has reduced its use of oil by about 15% since 2005, and consumption was approximately stagnant for the 15 previous years.

It's quite difficult to see exactly where things will go, but I wouldn't bet any money on deep-water oil being a bonanza.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

It's quite difficult to see exactly where things will go, but I wouldn't bet any money on deep-water oil being a bonanza.

Especially after BP getting shafted over Deepwater Horizon.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Just because you have your own football team doesn't make you a country. Your a conquest of England, a rather insignificant colony on our northern border with a yappy little wee cranky woman who thinks people take notice of her Laughing making funny noises that we will ignore.

Remember Culloden.

As for Welsh Independence, no. They aren't as stupid as you lot. They know which side their bread is buttered.

Laughing Laughing You win, we are not only inbread drunken highlanders but to make things even worse we are ruled by Sassaniac Right wing, almost Nazi like, Trump hating political wilderness English meet...... bra balls meh meh Smile

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Major environmental problem there too plus much publicity.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
inbred drunken highlanders...

In fairness feel I should point out that not all Scots fit that description. In fact I believe most of them are lowlanders. Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Major environmental problem there too plus much publicity.

BP got totally screwed and it put the wind up the other oil majors. Shell, who I worked for at the time , basically pulled out of any ultra deep off shore oil drilling. Not worth the risk.

Natural gas though is OK.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Where do you get your info about oil tech in Scotland?

The north sea is still one of the most demanding oil field zones.
The world's oil tech have a substantial base in ABZ.

Do you think the Scottish cunts who work in the oil patch jist staun oan the rigflair wi' their mouths hingin' open?

Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Do you think the Scottish cunts who work in the oil patch jist staun oan the rigflair wi' their mouths hingin' open?

Very Happy

..dreaming of the day when Scotland gains its independence and the oil is theirs, all theirs!

Yes, probably Laughing

And they probably think it's some kind of drink they can get inebriated on - which in a sense, it is Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
struan80 wrote:
inbred drunken highlanders...

In fairness feel I should point out that not all Scots fit that description. In fact I believe most of them are lowlanders. Smile

https://youtu.be/I46Myju44U8

Some of us canny afford tae get pished as often as we'd prefer due to the English Excise Man.
Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Some of us canny afford tae get pished as often as we'd prefer due to the English Excise Man.
Laughing

Thank you for proving my point Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MCN wrote:

Very Happy

..dreaming of the day when Scotland gains its independence and the oil is theirs, all theirs!

Yes, probably Laughing

And they probably think it's some kind of drink they can get inebriated on - which in a sense, it is Very Happy

I was not talking to you.

You sarcastic devil.

Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
...dreaming of the day when Scotland gains its independence and the oil is theirs, all theirs!

Norway stashed their oil money for a rainy day but the UK never felt like an oil-rich nation. Was it frittered away, diverted into private accounts or has it been shoring up a failing economic model?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I was not talking to you.

You sarcastic devil.

Very Happy

Moi, sarcastic? Never!
Twisted Evil

You're on the internet now sonny, you're talking to everyone Wink Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Norway stashed their oil money for a rainy day but the UK never felt like an oil-rich nation. Was it frittered away, diverted into private accounts or has it been shoring up a failing economic model?

Once upon a time, I found my dream bike; a Kawasaki H2C in purple. I obtained it, but then sold it and drank the proceeds.
Once upon a time, Britain found its dream; North Sea oil. They obtained it, then sold it, and the politicians drank the proceeds.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3