Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leather sizing for road riding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Leather sizing for road riding? Reply with quote

I've found a lot of threads on here suggesting that leathers need to be as tight as possible.
Problem I'm having is I have fairly thin legs. So I have two sizes of Richa leather trousers to choose from, a 34" waist which fits perfectly around my waist with room to tuck an underlayer in if needed and 32" inch waist which is tight as anything around my waist and cuts in a bit with no room to tuck anything in, maybe a very thin t-shirt. But, both have a a bit of excess in the legs due to my stick legs. The 34" obviously has slightly more excess room than the 32" in the leg, but neither are what I'd call tight, although the 32" still makes it tricky to get a leg over the bike and move about even though they're still very slightly baggy in places.
This is trying on new leather, so maybe they will both give a bit with time? I'm not sure the waist will give over time on the 32" size though? From my experience in trousers, leg areas stretch as they wear in but the waist stays the same?
So, the main question I have is how important is the tightness for general road use rather than track? Is the tightness needed mainly for really high track speed offs? Would a bit of excess in the legs be ok for road? Ideally I'd prefer the comfort of the 34" waist and a bit more ability to move in the leg (which may come over time in the 32" anyway?). The 32" are also ever so slightly high up my ankle but will be well insisde boots anyway.
Any advice appreciated.

ps. I've tried on loads of brands and they're all the same. Being 6ft and fairly thin I don't seem to fill anything out.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Leather sizing for road riding? Reply with quote

AdamEf wrote:

ps. I've tried on loads of brands and they're all the same. Being 6ft and fairly thin I don't seem to fill anything out.

I wish I had that problem. Laughing Never heard about clothing having to be tight personally I get stuff which is loose fitting (not baggy) as any restriction in movement is uncomfortable plus it could be dangerous.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the idea is that if tight fitting, you'd have a better chance of sliding than the material grabbing and making you roll. OK on the track, but I work on the basis that on the road you'll be at a higher risk of colliding with street furniture than sliding any great distance.

Better to be comfortable and paying attention to the road, than be distracted by having the blood supply to your nads/legs cut off. IMHO.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:37 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

Better to be comfortable and paying attention to the road, than be distracted by having the blood supply to your nads/legs cut off. IMHO.

That's what I'm thinking. My only concern is that either size will stretch a bit with use and the 34" will become too large. I read something saying leather will break in about 5% once worn for a while.

I did try some second hand Richa 34" trousers on and they were huge! Even around the waist. They were older theough so maybe their sizing has changed over the years and maybe they were worn by someone large for a while.

I have noticed that even new Richa vary in tightness fit if you compare the same size track jackets (with hump) and trousers compared to their other non hump models.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
...having the blood supply to your nads/legs cut off. IMHO.

Those areas are actually ok with a bit of room in both. Stretch panels between the legs helps. It's the waist mainly I'm concerned about.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving the smaller size a go. All advice I've had seems to say they will loosen up so if they're too comfortable from the start they'll break in to become baggy. The smaller ones actually feel ok after about half an hour when I've forgotten how comfortable my jeans are.

As it turns out looks like I also had slightly too large a jacket, which I managed to swap before starting to use it luckily.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight fit is to help armour stay in place.

Prevents flapping.

And it looks better as far as aesthetics are concerned.

Good leathers will not give much due to wear.
The hides are prepared so that wont happen.

You can get tailor made.
Or buy what fits and have a leather tailor adjust.

I have seen some fcuking sights in leather.

Go to a bike show. Smile

I seen a couple that looked like a brown leather suite.

Last edited by MCN on 17:42 - 08 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my gear seems to have got tighter over the years ... Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Sunlight and Rain cycles.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Sunlight and Rain cycles.

Or beer and donuts.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Leather sizing for road riding? Reply with quote

AdamEf wrote:
So I have two sizes of Richa leather trousers to choose from, a 34" waist which fits perfectly around my waist with room to tuck an underlayer in if needed and 32" inch waist which is tight as anything around my waist and cuts in a bit with no room to tuck anything in, maybe a very thin t-shirt

Is that while stood up or sat on the bike?

We are told the cold weather is coming. That means more layers to keep warm.
So can you fit a nice pair of thermals under that 32 waist? and tuck a thermal vest in so your back is not exposed to the draft....

Along with the age old problem of a expanding waist line due to eating more food to stay warm....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1