BCF: Bike Chat Forums

increase torque/low-end power with muffler? ideas/criticism

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that welding work between the frame, and the big tyres on.

Would there be enough room for the rear wheel to use the suspension to it's full potential, without the tyre hitting the frame?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bevlak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
With that welding work between the frame, and the big tyres on.

Would there be enough room for the rear wheel to use the suspension to it's full potential, without the tyre hitting the frame?

Yeah it's fine, tested it. Its actually not as tight a fit as a lot of bikes of this style

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevlak wrote:
Haha aaaaaah ok got it! Practicing our dad jokes are we??

Ugh. The Boy says that sort of thing, while laughing. He's at college practicing to be an artist of some sort. I keep telling him he ought to get "arty" with some of the wreckage & bits strewn around here. He's nearly at the "125" stage.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bevlak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
bevlak wrote:
*yawn*

That was a bit loud that yawn. You want to stick a muffler on it. Laughing

Why ask for "criticism" if you can't take it?

Quote:
increase torque/low-end power with muffler? ideas/criticism

Someone wake me up when he's gone to bed

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:50 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One niner?

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:35 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a special scrapyard in Hell for people who cut up great little bikes like these and really fuck them up with mad ideas. The facebook groups for these bikes are full of plaintive cries for help from lads who bought these bikes which won't run properly because the carburation is all messed up on bikes they usually paid well over the odds for based on so called stylish, so called Cafe Racer appearance. They are also usually dogged with electrical problems. Often the people messing them up are lads just like I was in 1969 who don't know what they don't know and somehow, filled with youthful arrogance, think that Honda got it all wrong because someone at college told them you can get a CG to do ninety miles an hour by ripping out the battery, the airbox, sticking a slab seat on it that will give you gangrene in the arse if you ride it for two hours, and putting a pod filter on it. Worst of all, the donor bikes probably only needed a good service and a few worn out bits replaced such as chains and sprockets and would have given another forty thousand miles of good service with complete reliability if they were just ridden and serviced with decent oil every thousand miles.

bevlak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is a nightmare. Thanks to everyone who actually helped and goodbye to everyone who didn't. I'm out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevlak wrote:
Ok this is a nightmare. Thanks to everyone who actually helped and goodbye to everyone who didn't. I'm out.

Just fabricated a baffle for the exhaust. It doesn't have to be perfect. That'll move the torque back to the mid/low range. That is also, by the way, what the YPVS (EXUP) and other systems do. Keep the exhaust choked for the low revs and open up at the top of the rev range. Thumbs Up

With a baffle, you have to decide what you want from the bike, or even make several baffles with different permeability. Mid/low range torque makes the motorcycle more user friendly in cities and slow moving traffic.

All you need is a welder, two pipes, two metal discs and a drill.

This is pretty much what you want to make:

https://www.skutry-levne.cz/41d48e526f04e6b742c5b4e32b09b17ef1a53098/thickbox/vlozka-db-killer-turbo-kit-maxi-skutr.jpg

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 21:16 - 10 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the effect is the same, (well as same as a four stroke and two stroke comparison can be) YPVS is a little bit more complicated in implementation than you describe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Though the effect is the same, (well as same as a four stroke and two stroke comparison can be) YPVS is a little bit more complicated in implementation than you describe.

I meant to say EXUP, but well, yeah.

This stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2D1ljwAfo0
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen mate, do what you want to do. You won't get much meaningful advice or criticism on here, just the usual load of shite from the same old same olds who love to put anyone down.
I don't know if what you are proposing has merit, but plenty of manufacturers like Akropovitch make a good load of wodge from doing what you're proposing and improving a bike by experimenting with the exhaust, if youve got the time and means try a few things.
When we all talk about 'is this forum dying' I despair when I see someone come on asking a genuine question about something related to a bike and performance and for it he gets advice on tractor tyres and hipster beards and generally flamed by people who are more comfortable behind a keyboard than in a garage actually doing it.
Do something and let us know how you got on, improve? worse? its all knowledge.

OGR.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:45 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobcat.jpg

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing said -

"I don't know if what you are proposing has merit, but plenty of manufacturers like Akropovitch make a good load of wodge from doing what you're proposing and improving a bike by experimenting with the exhaust"

I think they are engineers with knowledge, expertise and test equipment.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to start with they weren't, but why diss the guy for trying?

OGR.

bevlak
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just fabricated a baffle for the exhaust. It doesn't have to be perfect. That'll move the torque back to the mid/low range. That is also, by the way, what the YPVS (EXUP) and other systems do. Keep the exhaust choked for the low revs and open up at the top of the rev range. Thumbs Up

With a baffle, you have to decide what you want from the bike, or even make several baffles with different permeability. Mid/low range torque makes the motorcycle more user friendly in cities and slow moving traffic.

All you need is a welder, two pipes, two metal discs and a drill.

This is pretty much what you want to make:

https://www.skutry-levne.cz/41d48e526f04e6b742c5b4e32b09b17ef1a53098/thickbox/vlozka-db-killer-turbo-kit-maxi-skutr.jpg

Jesus. All this drama and this is all I wanted to see! THANK YOU for posting this. Thank you. Everyone trolling - if you'd known this, I can't help thinking you you would have posted this. The fact you didn't just proves that you were out there for an ego boost. Talk what you know, listen when you don't. Simple.

Thanks again

S Middle Finger

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I still don't buy that you're going to improve overall a given 125cc engine with your magic baffle.

Im a stubborn cunt, and if I wanted to experiment with and move the torque peak up and down the Rev range on a given bike with exhaust system tuning, I'd rent a dyno cell for a week and make 10, 20 variations of exhaust system to see and log/prove what is happening. I'd want to see my theories proved or disproved in front of me on a screen, instead of believing that welding in a bung to my bikes exhaust has made it better.

Im also one of those people who doesn't have a magic butt dyno that can detect 0.2bhp more or less from riding the bike, and first guess spot on jet sizes to suit. There's plenty of people out there who can though from what I read everywhere.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'm sorry but I still don't buy that you're going to improve overall a given 125cc engine with your magic baffle.

IRT OP's plan as to restore the performance of the thing to somewhere near normal after having made cosmetic changes which dropped performance off a cliff.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:07 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Not to start with they weren't, but why diss the guy for trying?

OGR.

I didn't 'dis the guy', I commented on the trend of butchering CG125s by people who have no idea and make a complete mess of them, selling them on to young lads via ebay, usually for about twice the value of a standard cg 125. The buyers then find they won't run properly and have a shed load of problems. The CG125 Face Book groups have regular posts from lads who have bought these lemons and want help.

He did ask for opinions and criticism. Did you miss that?

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:12 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Im a stubborn cunt, and if I wanted to experiment with and move the torque peak up and down the Rev range on a given bike with exhaust system tuning, I'd rent a dyno cell for a week and make 10, 20 variations of exhaust system to see and log/prove what is happening. I'd want to see my theories proved or disproved in front of me on a screen, instead of believing that welding in a bung to my bikes exhaust has made it better.

Im also one of those people who doesn't have a magic butt dyno that can detect 0.2bhp more or less from riding the bike, and first guess spot on jet sizes to suit. There's plenty of people out there who can though from what I read everywhere.

Well said. you are talking about an empirical approach - systematic, evidence based and interested in refining the item. Engineering in other words - not bodger meddling.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

It'll be a nice little project for OP, that will cost him next to nothing. There's no harm in that and OP might even learn something new.

Since we're point things out, we are talking about torque, not power.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3