Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old man MarJay, that Old Man MarJay...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:22 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Old man MarJay, that Old Man MarJay... Reply with quote

As some of you know I've got a job in the old London Town, and being a Basingstoke resident I realised I needed a way to commute that wouldn't result in me going insane. I do occasionally take the train, but I've found that bike commuting works well.

Only downside is my Street Triple is a little too nice and a little too desirable to thieves for my commuting needs, so I thought about what kind of bike I should buy. I came up with this:

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/vfr_small.jpg

Cost £1600 with panniers and top box. Needs a bit of TLC, the head bearings clunk like a clunky thing but it rides well and is comfortable for distance. I got very wet collecting it from Peterborough today, so I know it will handle the commute OK. Whether I will on the other hand remains to be seen!

It's not really an exciting bike, the power delivery is flat, the handling is neutral but it does keep the weather off, and it's comfy. I'm pretty happy with it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my all time favourite bikes if for the sound alone. Good buy for 1600 ponds.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of the tank bra but apart from that, rated a cool bargain. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them well enough - though I prefer the 750, The sound, especially with a nice can, is lovely.

I'll second doubts about the tank bra - what's it hiding?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:15 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a glance underneath the tank bra and all seems well. It does mean I can get a baglux tank bag in future.

There are so many good points at shed money that I can overlook a few quirks.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a glance underneath the tank bra and all seems well. It does mean I can get a baglux tank bag in future.

There are so many good points at shed money that I can overlook a few quirks.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:32 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is it? Is your london town commute london enough to get spanked with ULEZ contributions?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice, both with the work hack and to keep the Street out of the lions den.
The new edition looks quite tidy, doesn't look to have been launched down the road on its side anyway.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 06 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice Thumbs Up

Those front indicators are pretty horrific though Shocked Sick Puke

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
What year is it?

Had to read that twice...

I’d have the bra, as bad as they look I tried using a magnetic tank bag and it left a lot of light scratches in the paint work. I have to take my dinner to work in a backpack now.

Also, I prefer the old fashioned style of indicators moulded into the fairing. The modern ones on stalks (especially on the rear) always end up dancing around on the road and I think that looks worse.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low miles?
Vfr's would be good commuters but I imagine maintence takes a lot more effort, and reduced access inside the frame.6 pot brakes are they abs?
Does the can need to come off to get the rear wheel out?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Low miles?

It's a VFR - It's largely unimportant. They'll do well over 100K without issue. Mine is on 113K - They're strong, over-engineered motors. Pre-VTEC/gear driven cams are especially bombproof.
kramdra wrote:
Vfr's would be good commuters

Depends. If you can't keep them between 4K-7K, they drink. They're heavy beasts, 240KG wet or thereabouts. If it's mainly motorways, they're lovely.
kramdra wrote:
maintence takes a lot more effort, and reduced access inside the frame.

No, it doesn't. Lube the chain, maybe move the eccentric, but the latter is more because it locks if you leave it in the same position for the average life of a 530 chain. De-gunk brakes sometimes. Access into the frame is a bit more constricted, than a naked, but any faired bike will be, and it's really nothing awful. I'd rather work on one than some of the tiny sports bikes out there. Fairings use Dzus 1/4 turn fastners, so they're off sharpish.
kramdra wrote:
Does the can need to come off to get the rear wheel out

It does on the older 750's with low-level (stock position) cans, but it's easy enough. Couldn't tell you about the 800's.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay if your coming into London where the congestion charge starts your going to be hit with the stupid charge daily cos any bikes from 2006 and older get hit with the charge.....meh.
it seems all bikes from 2007 are exempt
the charge starts from 8th April 2019 which is kinda just round the corner
plus they want to expand this charge
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-where-and-when

Some bikes are exempt but i dont think yours is

This stupid charge has prevented me from getting my dream bike again (GSXR 1000 k5/k6) but ah

Khan's groups policy...........meh!!!!!!!!!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:58 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a 2000. The ULEZ starts to the east of where I’m going. It will expand in 2020 in which case I’ll buy a Z1000SX.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Low miles?
Vfr's would be good commuters but I imagine maintence takes a lot more effort, and reduced access inside the frame.6 pot brakes are they abs?
Does the can need to come off to get the rear wheel out?

It’s done 25k miles. I didn’t want something with stupid low miles as I’ll end up putting lots on it anyway.

No idea on the rear wheel, looks simple enough.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
It’s done 25k miles. I didn’t want something with stupid low miles as I’ll end up putting lots on it anyway.

No idea on the rear wheel, looks simple enough.

That's naff all for one of these. They eat miles.

If you need the can off to get to the wheel, the pipe comes off just above collector. As you say, it's simple enough.

Did you get an eccentric adjuster? Looks like a giant C spanner. If not, you'll need one. About £15 online.
https://i.imgur.com/Bgn7Nfel.jpg

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

City riding the V4 guzzles fuel, other than that they are what they are. Still revered as one of the greatest all rounders ever made and with all that Honda over-engineering they put into their 'masterpiece' they just go forever.

Just make sure the electrics are sorted, upgrade the r/r to a mosfet sharpish if it hasn't already been done. Fit a voltmeter for good measure, SOP for all VFR owners. Keep an eye on the thermostat too, they get stuck all too frequently. Other than that, meh, it'll serve you like a faithful old dog till its dying day (which WILL be a long, long...long way away)

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Good choice Thumbs Up

Those front indicators are pretty horrific though Shocked Sick Puke

Yeah I prefer old fashioned stalks.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's naff all for one of these. They eat miles.

Naff All - as defined in the Sods Law reference, as the first opertunity for mass failure of consumable/neglected parts.

Thermostat, is that a common/known honda failure? I have suspected the cbr6 for years but a new one is expensive and it requires removing the throttle bodies, so I am too lazy to test it.
Last winter my coolant temp did not go above 60 - and my tank range dropped from 150ish to ~100 Laughing run out of fuel several times.

Last edited by kramdra on 23:43 - 07 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Keep an eye on the thermostat too, they get stuck all too frequently.

Huh. Is that needle meant to move then? The only time mine did, the radiator fan kicked in.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Thermostat, is that a common/known honda failure? I have suspected the cbr6 for years but a new one is expensive and it requires removing the throttle bodies, so I am too lazy to test it.
Last winter my coolant temp did not go above 60 - and my tank range dropped from 150ish to ~100 Laughing run out of fuel several times.

Yeah, your thermo is stuck. Yes it's a known thing, but quite common on a lot of bikes tbh but seems to pop up on VFR forums a lot. It's the same job, throttle bodies out and all that good shit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:53 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First commute today.

Thoughts:

Arrow The head bearings really are f*cked. I also noticed the bars weren't inline with the front wheel. A slackening of the bottom yoke and then pushing the front of the bike into a wall seems to have done the trick. Suspension seems to damp OK and be soft enough for little 'ol me without adjustment, which is rare. The forks are smooth and not pitted, and not leaking.

Arrow I didn't even notice the comfort. That's how comfortable it is. I was pretty much in agony on the ST3 with a rucksack after an hour. obviously the top box helps.

Arrow Even though the head bearings are shot, the handling is still neutral and it does what I ask of it. With the top box loaded it has a shimmy between 35 and 40mph, especially when cutting the throttle. Nothing scary, just a bit of a warning.

Arrow I wound on the throttle a bit this afternoon. It can go, but it's not eye popping acceleration. It sits nicely on the motorway at 70mph and doesn't even break a sweat. At 90mph it starts to tell you it's going quick which is good. It's not as dull at that speed as my TT600 was. It could probably do with a quarter turn throttle to make it more fun, but as it's a commuter I shan't bother. The gearbox doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference to acceleration. The change itself is always positive and easy to do clutchlessly up the box.

Arrow Wind protection is good. I thought it wasn't great at first but then I remember how much buffet I get on the naked Street Triple.

Arrow It turns tighter than the ST3 at low speeds, enabling more gap potential in heavy traffic.

Arrow The fuel gauge was on two bars, then suddenly on the final bar flashing. This scared me enough to leave the motorway to get fuel this afternoon. Anybody know how long it should go on reserve? Does it have one further warning before dying?

Arrow Discovered the engine temperature mode. The bike warms up VERY quickly but stays at a stable 79 degrees centigrade, even in stop start traffic.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:07 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried wringing its neck yet? Can be rewarding. More is more.

I bet that exhaust can weighs more than the rest of the bike.

They can and will get really hot in traffic but the radiators are large enough to cope. The right hand side of the frame just below your knee gets really hot in summer riding.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:20 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Have you tried wringing its neck yet? Can be rewarding. More is more.

I did sort of today, but I'm wary of the head bearings. I think I'll be less timid once they are sorted.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 I've replaced 3 reg/rec's this month.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2