Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Steering column won't come out?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zakalwe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:14 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Steering column won't come out? Reply with quote

I'm trying to remove the entire front fork assembly / steering column from one Gilera DNA and move it to the other. Looking at diagrams like this here https://www.easyparts.nl/showdrawing/12441/109526/525/0-4019-1-m415-m363-m6259-m12441-s12447-d109526/Fork-steering-tube---Steering-bearing-unit.html we've removed every possible bolt keeping it in, and watching people disassemble steering columns on youtube, it should just slide right out, but it won't. we tried hitting the top with a hammer incase it was just lodged but it's definitely not just stuck in from age.

Anyone know what we're doing wrong?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of what you have.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:47 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine you have taken off the top nut that holds the top yoke in place, but NOT the nut beneath that puts the pre-load on the bearings, probably because it dont look like a nut, it'll be a sort of ring with six or eight slots in it, that needs a special spanner or C-spanner to undo....
Oft chewed to bludgery by folk without a slot-spanner or suitable C-Spanner trying to undo it with a hammer and chissel or similar.
Beneath them is the bearing races, and if the steering stem actually moves side to side like steering the forks... it aint 'stuck'.. there's something, likely the castle but under the top yoke still holding it in...
WHEN that comes out.... get ready to catch the loose balls! It usually goes as an avalanche.... new bearings required... cos sods says you will find all but ONE of the old bearing balls... whether they were salvageable or not!
A Haynes diagram or an exploded parts microfishe IF you really are a cheap-wad, in ENGKISH I find also helps.... especially when working on latin-loverlies, where the manuals tend to be left in the native italian!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 07 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mikes refering to the Balhoofdborgmoer
not to be confused with the Balhoofdmoer
You do know the Balhoofdlager is probably a tapered roller?
and if its bitten into the stem, will need removing first, especially
if it was tight to begin with and walloped on with a tube.

Zakalwe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:20 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
I imagine you have taken off the top nut that holds the top yoke in place, but NOT the nut beneath that puts the pre-load on the bearings, probably because it dont look like a nut, it'll be a sort of ring with six or eight slots in it, that needs a special spanner or C-spanner to undo....
Oft chewed to bludgery by folk without a slot-spanner or suitable C-Spanner trying to undo it with a hammer and chissel or similar.
Beneath them is the bearing races, and if the steering stem actually moves side to side like steering the forks... it aint 'stuck'.. there's something, likely the castle but under the top yoke still holding it in...
WHEN that comes out.... get ready to catch the loose balls! It usually goes as an avalanche.... new bearings required... cos sods says you will find all but ONE of the old bearing balls... whether they were salvageable or not!
A Haynes diagram or an exploded parts microfishe IF you really are a cheap-wad, in ENGKISH I find also helps.... especially when working on latin-loverlies, where the manuals tend to be left in the native italian!

Thanks for the quick reply. Will post a photo in the morning in the sunlight.

We got the C-spanner nut off fairly easy with a couple flathead screwdrivers and hammers hitting it in each direction, no wrecking of it.

> there's something, likely the castle but under the top yoke still holding it in...

seems this is where we are it, we followed these instructions and yet like I say the center just won't come off the main frame, doesn't seem to be a way to get the bearings out if they need to come out first.

https://imgur.com/a/ZcJeJyY

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried setting fire to it?

Zakalwe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:47 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/a/xRSRIvi pic

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could just be tight. I take it you're not trying to salvage the bearing? You could try warming it up.

Zakalwe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:19 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Could just be tight. I take it you're not trying to salvage the bearing? You could try warming it up.

I would like to keep it sure as I don't have a replacement. which part should be coming out from which exactly? like I say we've tried giving it a whack through cloth, tried prying the bearing ring off with a screwdriver / small allen key, do the forks need to bee out / weel off maybe?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zakalwe wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I would like to keep it sure as I don't have a replacement. which part should be coming out from which exactly? like I say we've tried giving it a whack through cloth, tried prying the bearing ring off with a screwdriver / small allen key, do the forks need to bee out / weel off maybe?

Hm, difficult. The harder & sharper you hit the thing the more likely it is to damage it, and the hotter you get it ditto. The stem should slide down through the inner race. If you warmed the whole lot up to (say) 250C then cool the stem and hit it, you might find it will come a bit easier. It could be the bottom bearing sticking.... yoi might find it comes off easier if you remove the dead weight of the forks, also.

To help prevent damaging the threads, put the nut onto the threads. Use a soft drift, e.g. a piece of aluminium or brass on top of the stem to hit. You should be able to read the bearing size off the markings on the outer race (other side?) if they're U/S.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 15:01 - 08 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:00 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zakalwe wrote:

The forks and wheel are still in? are they touching the floor? If so, that'll be your problem!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The forks and wheel are still in? are they touching the floor? If so, that'll be your problem!!

No! They can't be, can they?! Surprised Shocked

Zakalwe
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:26 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Zakalwe wrote:

Yes, like another poster suggested, we put the main nut on the stem and covered it with a cloth, while one of us lifted the bike up off the floor and the other gave it a good whack - it wasn't coming out so we thought the bearing ring must have to be taken out with a special tool or something, but watching youtube videos it should just slide out at this point so we're kinda stumped.

Was planning to 'simply' swap the entire front fork/headlight assembly between two DNAs, always some kind of issue isn't there?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 08 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrupted, that's not tapered rollers

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 09 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just take the wheel and forks off, be so much easier!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1