Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alarm Clock manufacture- anyone good at electrics?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:01 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Alarm Clock manufacture- anyone good at electrics? Reply with quote

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2074185253/ramos-alarm-clock

i NEED something like this..

they stopped production in 2017 and i cant find anything similar ....

im shite with electrics but surely its not that complicated to make no?

doesnt even need to be as fancy as that just the same concept.... keypad located away (downstairs) from alarm...

Anyone any ideas?

Ash
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:03 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go full steampunk.

Get a mechanical timer switch:
https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/fdde1d67-ec4b-4839-a79d-c96fafa5412d/svn/gray-intermatic-timers-t1905hd-64_1000.jpg

A vintage doorbell gong.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/attachments/electrical-ac-dc/80251d1493584358-antique-doorbell-installation-troubleshooting-bell.jpg

A large knife switch.

https://www.dds-diving.com/images/Filnor%20Knife%20Switch.jpg

A dial padlock.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/fscwp.utjhn/v/vspfiles/photos/PL-109-A1-2.jpg?1526966794

Fit the timer and gong in your bedroom. Fit the switch in the kitchen. Hardwire the timer switch to the gong via the knife switch (I'd suggest a DC battery, not mains Laughing ). If you drill through the blade and terminal of the knife switch, you can padlock it in the "on" position.

Please forward my cut of the profits.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:55 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats actually pretty sick but it would take up quite a bit of room - however if i can do something similar on a smaller scale i will do... time to do some research today...

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good enough to make stuff from a pre-existing wiring diagram, but I'm a bit rusty at the actual design, so probably not a lot of help here.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:10 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you can buy any/all of these in the UK, but might give you some inspiration.

https://www.boredpanda.com/20-annoyingly-creative-alarm-clocks/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Most are based on firing something across the room which you have to go fetch, or requiring you to do some semi-complicated task to silence them, in order to make sure you're really awake.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
Not sure if you can buy any/all of these in the UK, but might give you some inspiration.

https://www.boredpanda.com/20-annoyingly-creative-alarm-clocks/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Most are based on firing something across the room which you have to go fetch, or requiring you to do some semi-complicated task to silence them, in order to make sure you're really awake.

yeh i did a similar search when I found the Ramos clock...

however my room is pretty small and i have tried putting my phone on the floor on the far side of the room but I just get up half awake press snooze and back to bed until the very last possible moment i have to get up before I go past the last clock in time at work..

The main reason i want the downstairs keypad is now i am awake, and in the kitchen ready to make some breakfast, and awake over an hour before i NEED to be awak so i can make some flexi time.

The problem with me is my brain knows i dont HAVE to be up until x oclock. Is that willpower? probably, but this invention gets around it..

I cant have anything in my room that I will be able to turn off..... I can do it in my sleep!

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:58 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alarm uses Nixie tubes. You can buy kits or finished clocks on ebay.

eBay Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1