Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike to bike comms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

Hello,

Can anyone recomend something suitable and inexpensive for bike to bike communications. Thanks

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Can anyone recomend something suitable and inexpensive for bike to bike communications.

The Boy uses his telephone and headphone/microphone, but I am not sure whether that's legitimate use.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://static.scientificamerican.com/sciam/cache/file/7F609B9E-9D9F-4D47-B2ED3C2911B3E0FD.jpg?w=590&h=393&AD346CD1-9253-48E8-9C8DCA3BF43488BD

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
https://static.scientificamerican.com/sciam/cache/file/7F609B9E-9D9F-4D47-B2ED3C2911B3E0FD.jpg?w=590&h=393&AD346CD1-9253-48E8-9C8DCA3BF43488BD

That would probably work if you had a bungee cord between them. You could use a dirty great joint for smoke signals as well.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
struan80 wrote:
Can anyone recomend something suitable and inexpensive for bike to bike communications.

The Boy uses his telephone and headphone/microphone, but I am not sure whether that's legitimate use.

I'll look int to that thanks.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

The Boy

Isn't he a rapper?

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

I tried to find one of these recently, after developing a serious wobbly lip when I found out how much a dedicated coms system costs.
Ended up spending £15 on a bluetooth headset. Was crap, my phone is old and kept disconnecting and when it did work neither of us could hear a thing over 30mph, but it did what I needed. Wouldn't recommend for regular use.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
I tried to find one of these recently, after developing a serious wobbly lip when I found out how much a dedicated coms system costs.
Ended up spending £15 on a bluetooth headset. Was crap, my phone is old and kept disconnecting and when it did work neither of us could hear a thing over 30mph, but it did what I needed. Wouldn't recommend for regular use.

He gets his headphone on, plugs in his phone, calls his friend who's done similar, puts on his helmet, and off he goes, AFAIAA. Not Bluetooth!

Again, I don't know how legitimate this is.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:24 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

It's not in the 'system' its all in the interface.

A 'Decent' dedicated helmet headset, is around £25 per hat. Can take a bit of trial and error to find the best way to fit in the hat, and I tend to find that the velcro pads that come with them are pretty crud; but get a bit brave, fit under the lining, they are comfy, they are quiet, and the microphone needn't be too wind-swept.

THEN you can plug into whatever you want; probably a radio. PMR or CB, or Commercial PMR or Commercial Radio, whatever....

PMR is cheap and over-the-counter available and there's a lot of folk that use it, which can be handy if you want to talk to folk that already have thier own radio... or annoying if you like to have a 'free' chanel to yourselves.

CB... bulkier and not so available, but not needing an operators licence, has 16x the possible transmitter power, on a lower frequency, so better potential range/reliability, and less 'trafic'.

Then a question of VOX activation or PTT switch on the handlebars.... personally I preffer a PTT switch, they are more reliable, I dont transmit the expletives when SMIDSY pulls out of a junction... or our Snowie dont hear me moaning at her to get a bludy move on and find third gear etc..... and there's no VOX 'lag' so it cuts in half way through the first sentence, then takes a holiday when some-one pauses for breath, and you only get half a clipped message through the headset!

Mobile-Phone? Strictly if you are using one in hands-free, its as legal as CB or PMR etc.. transmitter power is limited still, as is coverage. It can start to trip out in 'urban canyons' or cuttings or in the mountains etc. Offers the benefit of 'duplex' ie two-way talk, so you are chatting on one channel to the ear-phone of partners set, and at the same time they can be chatting to you, on another channel into your head-phones. Swings-and-Roundabouts is that you cant so easily have a 'group' conversation, say on a group ride, some-one giving directions or calling the turns to all, but one-to-one you don't have any random come-in-car-six-seven conversations chucked into your ear... and telephone calls cost.... so depends on your tarrif and whether you have the 'free' minutes and stuff, whether the convenience is worth it.

BUT, all starts with that dedicated crash-hat headset.... the little plastic ear-pieces that oft come with PMR's or mobile-phones for 'hands-free', in a crash-hat, can be an utter pain in the lug-ole... worse them mi-ex!

A proper dedicated headset, can be snug, and comfy, and you needn't know its there unless there's noises coming out the ear-piece.. for THAT alone they are worth the money, whether you plug them into a PMR, a CB, a mobile phone, or an Eurocom interface, or anything else....

And £25? Probably the cheapest bit of the system.... if not, then don't have any great hopes for it! Cheap Bike-to-Bike is just that, and realistically, you are looking at £25 for a decent hat set, then about £75 for a half decent radio to plug it into... otherwise you may as well go for those bean cans and a bit of string for the likely quality and reliability.

But, starts with that dedicated helmet headset.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tef for taking the time to answer. So so far I'm thinking dedicated headset over the phone. I remember when I was under instruction that they used three way radio.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 11 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi do Bluetooth ones that come with a half decent headset. About 800m range to another headset. Work fine with phone audio and calls. Never tried a call whilst riding for long. Around 40 quid, a fraction of the cost of the scale ones we use for training.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

used to use two way radios when we did big meets for ride marshals

was ok until you used them at speed as all you could here was wind noise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Aldi do Bluetooth ones that come with a half decent headset. About 800m range to another headset. Work fine with phone audio and calls. Never tried a call whilst riding for long. Around 40 quid, a fraction of the cost of the scale ones we use for training.

The Aldi one is also available on eBay for about £25, I've got one but I've never tested bike to bike as I have no mates...

...who have the same unit Razz

I've had it about 3 yrs, on 2 lids, maybe charged it about 4 times and it's still going strong. Only gets used occasionally for sat nav, the odd call. Will play music as it's A2DP profile.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

The Aldi one is also available on eBay for about £25, I've got one but I've never tested bike to bike as I have no mates...

...who have the same unit Razz

I've had it about 3 yrs, on 2 lids, maybe charged it about 4 times and it's still going strong. Only gets used occasionally for sat nav, the odd call. Will play music as it's A2DP profile.
I too have no friends, just my other imaginary self. What is the name of the Aldi kit than be bought online please mate.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxtek is the branding on the Aldi one.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Maxtek is the branding on the Aldi one.

Correct, branded Maxtec in Aldi but also exact same thing is branded otherwise on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Bluetooth-Interphone-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Helmet-Intercom-Headset-FM/292745303674

I bought mine from Aldi for £40 as I needed it asap.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Mobile-Phone? ... you cant so easily have a 'group' conversation, say on a group ride, some-one giving directions or calling the turns to all, but one-to-one you don't have any random come-in-car-six-seven conversations chucked into your ear... and telephone calls cost.... so depends on your tarrif and whether you have the 'free' minutes and stuff, whether the convenience is worth it.

Group conversation: conference call. I think there's a limit of 6, but free apps can handle many more.

Cost? £15/month monthly phone contract, unlimited minutes, texts, 8GB data.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:55 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Group conversation: conference call. I think there's a limit of 6, but free apps can handle many more.

It's all relative, I suppose, but £15 a month? Shocked That's the cost of the annual Tax-Test+Insurance on my Seven-Fifty!!! (Near enough!)

Hmmm.... of my meager disposable, let me see, a mobile phone OR a motorbike..... tough call! Lol!

Cell-Phone-Culture is still something of an anathema to me. But that particular analogy did crop up not long ago with Snowies student son, sat with latest must have under-chin lighting device, bemoaning the fact that he had passed his driving test four years before, but STILL couldn't afford a car, trying to justify why a £25 a month contract-phone, plus £15 'top-ups' whenever he ran out of 'free' (err, hang on your paying £25 a friging month for them.. they AINT 'free'!!!) minutes or gigabytes or whatever, was ABSOLUTELY essential to his University career....

Bludy eck! However did I survive over half a decade of further and higher education, without batteries, and no more than a propelling pencil, an A4 jotter pad and the uni-library!!!! Lol!

Heck, even the propelling pencil was a luxuary!!! Only really begged by the fact that as a stone-age, 'Hammer and Fire' Mechanical engineer, I was expected to do technical drawing, and it made the first terms lessons on how to 'chissel-point' sharpen a traditional wooden pencil to get 0.5 and 0.7mm 'line' rather redundant, and saved argument with the tutor, over whether I'd been listening in the first terms lectures Lol

Snowie and Daughter, have both, variously tried to convince me on the merits of a multi-function under-chin lighting device..... daughter in particular I think would probably not be able to breath, if her smurf-fone didn't keep bonging to remind her! But....

I have banana fists! I'm a Hit it and burn it bludy Mechie furcrissiks!

They handed me a damn smurphone and told me "just tap the app!" Yers.... I tap the WHOLE ruddy screen! thing seems to just do whatever the heck it wants! Buttons... I LIKE buttons... BIG buttons! Levers? Even better! I can handle levers!

Pixel sized icons? RANT! And dont lets get started on cameras, where daughter doing photography for O, A & Degree, may start extolling the virtues of the ruddy multi-function-under-chin-lighting device over a 'proper' camera..... like wot has an actual lens.... THEN ironically, starts waxing lyrical about the virtues of 'analogue' cameras... eh? ANALOGUE?!?!? Oh! you mean FILM!!!! Like the rather large collection of 35mm SLR's, more than the odd, 35mm range-finder, and the 120 Medium-Format cameras, on the shelf just there?!?! "Yes. .... But, YOU don't use them for 'effect'!!!" and shows me a bunch of out-of-focus street-shots of litter bins and lads with goatees and starbucks cups!!!!

THREE QUID FUR A FUGGING CUP OF COFFEE!!!!!!!

Now... back to that propelling pencil... I have to confess, in my room in shared student house, I had a filter-coffee maker on my desk.... more, I also had a little hand wound coffee grinder.... this was oh-so-bourgeois! BUT was in fact because a) the bathroom was closer than the Kitchen b) a kilo of loose coffee beans at the heath-food-stall at the indoor market was a dang-site cheaper, went a dang site further, and tasted a dang site better than a jar of ASDAs own Instant coffee Powder! c) I would be up all night using that propelling pencil to draw umpety variations of a lawn mower handle for assignment the next morning.. NOT sat about the coffee bar, texting some-one three tables away, about the hidden meaning of Marc Bolan's "20th Century Boy"!?!?!

I REALLY don't think I was made for the 21st century.. I really don't! But still.....

Whilst you 'might' use a multi-function-under-chin-lighting-device, for a 'group' conversation.... 'like' broad-cast radio.. its still not actually 'free', it's still dependent on the local cell-phone coverage, and its a HECK of a lot of technology to chuck at 'the problem'.. to use a swiss-army knife multi-tool jack of all-trades toll, rather than just pick the one most appropriate tool for the job to begin with!

It's like some-one struggling to get purchase on a can of beans with a pen-knife tin opener, because that's what's in their pocket, rather than open the chuffing draw and get out the magican!!! (Or noticing the can probably has a ring pull!!Lol)

ACTUALLY..... there-in could lie yet another rant! Ring-Pull effin tin cans! WHY!? I seem to spend as long or longer trying to find something to get under and lift the chuffing pull-ring, THEN trying not to send the contents of the can everywhere in a fountain of sprayed beans, tugging the chuffing ring pull, and hoping not to pull it off, than I EVER do struggling with a cheap butterfly opener!!!

TECHNOLOGY! Its supposed to make life EASIER?!? How many just plain BAD ideas have been thrust on us in the name of 'technology' this century, that actually make life HARDER!!! And frequently more expensive, but sold to make us believe they are 'free'..... Smurphones and ring-pull bean cans, are but two!

Bike to Bike communications?.. once upon a time... I'm pretty sure, we'd just 'stop' and like TALK, you know, face to face; have a conversation... worked wonderfully... no radio static, no vox lag, no cross talk, no coverage cut-outs, or batteries going flat.... 'bisto-ahhh'

You know... end of Daughter's O-Levels, we had a 'Week-End-Away'... you know, to 'Chill', 'Get away from it all'... she took her new smurphone... NO! We did NOT get away from it all, we did NOT 'chill'! She brought it all with her... and then MOANED every time signal coverage dropped out because, GUESS WHAT! We went to Derbyshire TO GET AWAY FROM IT ALL! No signal means we succeeded! Lol!

Mind you.... going into a pub with a big hoarding outside that said "Pub-Grub", warming by the rather welcoming open fire, ordering a couple of pints, and not just asking for, but being GIVEN a menu... to be told when we'd decided what to have for tea "Ahhh, well, small problum with tha-at... no chef" Shocked "Yeah! Kip meeynen t'tek soyn down... akchully, 'ee left in 1993.. but kip spectin t'get'nuvva".. so WHY did you NOT tell me this before, and WHY did you give me the bludy menu!!!! No! No, forget that, I'm confused enough as it is, and I suspect answer will only make me more so! "WeLL, thez cafe a'end'rood!" There was too... 1960's transport caff, all boarded up for about a decade, with a 'Malaysian cuisine' sign hanging loose to show it had formerly been an Italian restaurant, at some point between serving bacon butties and being boarded up...... Time is all relative, I suppose, and I think the Dales is one of those places it sort of bends around, like super-nova and black holes.... maybe I should think about moving there!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about using a phone call is that you have to have a consistent phone signal. If the signal drops, so does your call. Furthermore, with a phone call you are constantly connected and transmitting. Radio transceivers don’t suffer these issues.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike to bike comms Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

It's all relative, I suppose, but £15 a month? Shocked That's the cost of the annual Tax-Test+Insurance on my Seven-Fifty!!! (Near enough!)

Hmmm.... of my meager disposable, let me see, a mobile phone OR a motorbike..... tough call! Lol!

Cell-Phone-Culture is still something of an anathema to me. But that particular analogy did crop up not long ago with Snowies student son, sat with latest must have under-chin lighting device, bemoaning the fact that he had passed his driving test four years before, but STILL couldn't afford a car, trying to justify why a £25 a month contract-phone, plus £15 'top-ups' whenever he ran out of 'free' (err, hang on your paying £25 a friging month for them.. they AINT 'free'!!!) minutes or gigabytes or whatever, was ABSOLUTELY essential to his University career....

Bludy eck! However did I survive over half a decade of further and higher education, without batteries, and no more than a propelling pencil, an A4 jotter pad and the uni-library!!!! Lol!

Heck, even the propelling pencil was a luxuary!!! Only really begged by the fact that as a stone-age, 'Hammer and Fire' Mechanical engineer, I was expected to do technical drawing, and it made the first terms lessons on how to 'chissel-point' sharpen a traditional wooden pencil to get 0.5 and 0.7mm 'line' rather redundant, and saved argument with the tutor, over whether I'd been listening in the first terms lectures Lol

Snowie and Daughter, have both, variously tried to convince me on the merits of a multi-function under-chin lighting device..... daughter in particular I think would probably not be able to breath, if her smurf-fone didn't keep bonging to remind her! But....

I have banana fists! I'm a Hit it and burn it bludy Mechie furcrissiks!

They handed me a damn smurphone and told me "just tap the app!" Yers.... I tap the WHOLE ruddy screen! thing seems to just do whatever the heck it wants! Buttons... I LIKE buttons... BIG buttons! Levers? Even better! I can handle levers!

Pixel sized icons? RANT! And dont lets get started on cameras, where daughter doing photography for O, A & Degree, may start extolling the virtues of the ruddy multi-function-under-chin-lighting device over a 'proper' camera..... like wot has an actual lens.... THEN ironically, starts waxing lyrical about the virtues of 'analogue' cameras... eh? ANALOGUE?!?!? Oh! you mean FILM!!!! Like the rather large collection of 35mm SLR's, more than the odd, 35mm range-finder, and the 120 Medium-Format cameras, on the shelf just there?!?! "Yes. .... But, YOU don't use them for 'effect'!!!" and shows me a bunch of out-of-focus street-shots of litter bins and lads with goatees and starbucks cups!!!!

THREE QUID FUR A FUGGING CUP OF COFFEE!!!!!!!

Now... back to that propelling pencil... I have to confess, in my room in shared student house, I had a filter-coffee maker on my desk.... more, I also had a little hand wound coffee grinder.... this was oh-so-bourgeois! BUT was in fact because a) the bathroom was closer than the Kitchen b) a kilo of loose coffee beans at the heath-food-stall at the indoor market was a dang-site cheaper, went a dang site further, and tasted a dang site better than a jar of ASDAs own Instant coffee Powder! c) I would be up all night using that propelling pencil to draw umpety variations of a lawn mower handle for assignment the next morning.. NOT sat about the coffee bar, texting some-one three tables away, about the hidden meaning of Marc Bolan's "20th Century Boy"!?!?!

I REALLY don't think I was made for the 21st century.. I really don't! But still.....

Whilst you 'might' use a multi-function-under-chin-lighting-device, for a 'group' conversation.... 'like' broad-cast radio.. its still not actually 'free', it's still dependent on the local cell-phone coverage, and its a HECK of a lot of technology to chuck at 'the problem'.. to use a swiss-army knife multi-tool jack of all-trades toll, rather than just pick the one most appropriate tool for the job to begin with!

It's like some-one struggling to get purchase on a can of beans with a pen-knife tin opener, because that's what's in their pocket, rather than open the chuffing draw and get out the magican!!! (Or noticing the can probably has a ring pull!!Lol)

ACTUALLY..... there-in could lie yet another rant! Ring-Pull effin tin cans! WHY!? I seem to spend as long or longer trying to find something to get under and lift the chuffing pull-ring, THEN trying not to send the contents of the can everywhere in a fountain of sprayed beans, tugging the chuffing ring pull, and hoping not to pull it off, than I EVER do struggling with a cheap butterfly opener!!!

TECHNOLOGY! Its supposed to make life EASIER?!? How many just plain BAD ideas have been thrust on us in the name of 'technology' this century, that actually make life HARDER!!! And frequently more expensive, but sold to make us believe they are 'free'..... Smurphones and ring-pull bean cans, are but two!

Bike to Bike communications?.. once upon a time... I'm pretty sure, we'd just 'stop' and like TALK, you know, face to face; have a conversation... worked wonderfully... no radio static, no vox lag, no cross talk, no coverage cut-outs, or batteries going flat.... 'bisto-ahhh'

You know... end of Daughter's O-Levels, we had a 'Week-End-Away'... you know, to 'Chill', 'Get away from it all'... she took her new smurphone... NO! We did NOT get away from it all, we did NOT 'chill'! She brought it all with her... and then MOANED every time signal coverage dropped out because, GUESS WHAT! We went to Derbyshire TO GET AWAY FROM IT ALL! No signal means we succeeded! Lol!

Mind you.... going into a pub with a big hoarding outside that said "Pub-Grub", warming by the rather welcoming open fire, ordering a couple of pints, and not just asking for, but being GIVEN a menu... to be told when we'd decided what to have for tea "Ahhh, well, small problum with tha-at... no chef" Shocked "Yeah! Kip meeynen t'tek soyn down... akchully, 'ee left in 1993.. but kip spectin t'get'nuvva".. so WHY did you NOT tell me this before, and WHY did you give me the bludy menu!!!! No! No, forget that, I'm confused enough as it is, and I suspect answer will only make me more so! "WeLL, thez cafe a'end'rood!" There was too... 1960's transport caff, all boarded up for about a decade, with a 'Malaysian cuisine' sign hanging loose to show it had formerly been an Italian restaurant, at some point between serving bacon butties and being boarded up...... Time is all relative, I suppose, and I think the Dales is one of those places it sort of bends around, like super-nova and black holes.... maybe I should think about moving there!!!!!!

Well, it's all quite interesting and "where will it end?".

Re mobile 'phones, especially "smart phones", more people have them than don't. Under age 35, about 95% of people have them; even over 55, it's more than half. Some people don't have a landline at all, using their mobile device for internet, or only have a landline for internet access. It's actually cheaper to buy a smart phone and pay about £180/year than to have a landline. The issue I have with this, though, is that if landline 'phone users call mobile users, it costs them an arm and a leg, which is unfair. People spend lots of money on contract 'phones, I don't know why. "Easy", I suppose.

I have no idea what a "under-chin lighting device" for cameras I assume is or why one might be desirable. I point 'n' click with a crappy propagandised panasonic TZ40 I think. Over-complex, picture quality not as good as my old Aldi camera ones, sadly lost.

If you have trouble opening ring-pulls, you could investin technology - a ring-pull tin opener. For other tins, you could but a "Clou" opener....

In the old days, I think general education was better, without computers in schools *at all*. However, I'm also sure that for those who have some education, 'puters improve it.

Yes, it's annoying that mobiles aren't supplied with ze instructoin manual, but.... online there are sources. There are a lot of small differences, though between makers' boltons to different O/Ss. People "just learning themselves" are I think the ones who cause horrid security problems for themselves and others, in computing generally. As the complexity increases, fewer and fewer people understand basicas and what's actually going on.

Now coffee, three quid for a coffee is ridiculous. I have hardly ever had the disappointment of buying one. I use a Bialetti stovetop which is very good, and an antique coffee grinder for the beans (about a tenner a kilo) (2lb 3 1/2oz to you squire)).

Picking a bespoke device for bike comms is an additional cost in itself, if it's as well as another device. Me? I've never used an intercomm on a motorbike.

People buy "technology" to make their lives easier, or keep up with the crowd, or because they're sold it. Sometimes it has an opposite effect or a deleterious one generally (like texting and "good manners").

Pubs and food? Don't get me started. But too late. I dislike pubs serving food, unless it's in a separate part of the pub. "Gastro-pubs" I dislike intensely. Pubs have just about finished, what with beer at £three or £three-and-a-half a pint, and no smoking, and sitting at tables drinking and eating especially in filthy so-called "gastropubs". I stopped smoking ages ago. All pubs used to be smokers, bar UK-wide one or two rather unsuccessful ones. Then they stopped, and the guts fell out of them. They were thinly-patronised by those who said "Oh, I'd go out every night if it was non-smoking", who failed to do that because they were filled with boring people. 60,800 pubs in the UK in 2000 58,200 in 2006, just before the smoking ban. 48,350 last year. People tend to sit at home and drink. I'm not surprised.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
The thing about using a phone call is that you have to have a consistent phone signal. If the signal drops, so does your call. Furthermore, with a phone call you are constantly connected and transmitting. Radio transceivers don’t suffer these issues.

Re the consistent signal, yes, however you're not range-limited. If the signal goes, it reconnects when possible. I am not sure why being "constantly connected and transmitting" is an issue. Around here, signal outages are not a problem, I'm told.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the bluetooth headset paired to a phone you get a choice, mobile call, or bike to bike directly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1