Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

impending dispute, parking on driveway

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:01 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: impending dispute, parking on driveway Reply with quote

The old miners village I live on has narrow roads so everyone uses their front "gardens" for parking because if you park on the street you would be causing an obstruction and likely get your mirrors smashed off.

Our landlord recently sent someone round who threatened my grandfather to remove our cars off the drive or he would have them scraped, we have two daily drivers a trailer tent and a reliant three wheeler that i'm converting into a trailer on the front.

After 15 years of not having a problem with us parking on our gravel driveway which has it's own dropped curb allowing access, the landlord has complained to the letting agent about us parking.

I suspect it is because of the trailer project which is a bit of an eyesore with the nose cone cut off, I was going to get rid of it but after the threatening visit decided to write a note on the windscreen instead saying "vehicle is registered and sworn off road any attempt to remove will be reported to the police"

We are now being told by the letting agent to remove our vehicles immediately as no permission has been granted to use the "GARDEN" for parking, I've called the letting agent asking why we are no longer allowed to park on the "DRIVE WAY" but the lady just said her manager was out and that she would get back to me.

Can a landlord tell me I can't park on my drive? without stipulating it in the tenancy agreement.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he can't legally do that, if he wants a tenant out, he'll find another way to do it. You buy a house, you make your own rules. You rent someone elses (and lets face it, mortgages are renting from wealthier and less interested landlords, aren't they...) and you have to abide.

Get the shitters off the drive and say sorry to the landlord. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Not your drive, his drive. You are just hiring it.

2. Driveway refers to vehicles that are driveable, clue is in the name. Not for storing smashed up wrecks dumped there
for years on end. How is that any different from leaving piles of rubbish and smashed furniture there? If you were one of
my tenants I'd be just as unimpressed tbh and would seek to prevent it continuing to be there. The working cars I would
have no problem with, but with all the other garbage you have made a Steptoe and Son scrapyard. It's not on.

My own tenancy agreements contain the following clause.

Quote:
12. Not to do or allow to be done anything which may be or become a nuisance or annoyance to the Landlord or to the occupiers of adjoining properties.

If I had to bet on it, your landlord has had complaints about your rubbish in the front garden.

3. Ultimately you're going to lose this battle. One way or another. If you don't like having to follow rules, then
buy your own place. If that's not an option then suck it up, dump the "project" that lets be honest will never see
completion and keep having somewhere to live. It's pretty much that simple. I'd bet the house wouldn't be empty for
long. Re-letting is easy, there is a housing shortage. You'd do well to remember that. Plus by showing you a red card the
landlord might get a new tenant who's behaviour doesn't have his phone ringing with complaints. I wouldn't want that
hassle and neither does your landlord. I don't use letting agents myself so have spent some time talking to all of the
neighbours of my rental places, They all have my phone number and me theirs so if they have concerns about what
my tenants are up to I am happy for them to give me a call directly so I can look into it. I can also call them if I need
a little inside information about the comings and goings at my houses. With my sticky tenants I only visit the property
annually to inspect while I attend gas safety checks or other maintenance that requires a third party on the
premises, mainly this is so I don't get the old "I left £40 on the shelf and your tradesman swiped it" scenario.
Safer for tenant and tradesman, quieter life for me.

I have spent a LOT of money on my properties, they aren't mortgaged and represent my retirement fund. Of course I will
be protective of them and concerned if my tenants are playing up and causing problems. In my shoes you would be too.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: impending dispute, parking on driveway Reply with quote

tittymcarseface wrote:
Our landlord recently sent someone round who threatened my grandfather to remove our cars off the drive or he would have them scraped

Post a picture.

You're a long-term tenant paying to use the property. If you have done this habitually without problem and it's OK in your ageement, I think another poster's comment is likely to be correct and it's a parking complaint disguising something else. Perhaps fixing the something else might sort things out. Perhaps do that then have a word with the agent or landlord.

No he can't just take your property by "sending someone around to say he'll do it".
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever had any problems at all with the landlord? Late rent, property damage etc.?

Every landlord I've ever talked to has horror stories about tenants. Their dream is to just have somebody live there and pay on time every month.
Try talking to your landlord. If you've lived there problem free for 15 years, chances are he's happy for you to stay there if you can sort this.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived next to someone who had two 'classic' cars rotting on their drive for 10+ years, I can sympathise with the landlord. Everyone on the street thought they were a c*nt and didn't give a fuck. The house always looked a state and showed they just didn't care.

In most cases I've found, it take a lot to piss off a landlord...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also entirely possible that the landlord doesn't actually give a fuck, and neighbours have complained which has now made your problem his.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:59 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had half a Reliant Robin as a feature in your front garden?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks but the way I see it, you run the risk of winning a battle and losing a war, i.e the tenancy won't get renewed, or if you are on a statutory periodic tenancy, then a section 21 notice giving you 2months to leave, but getting to park your cars there in the meantime

could try to negotiate, perhaps? pay a small bit extra for parking to smooth the waters
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said

OR

Don't drag someone else's property prices down by turning the front into a scrap yard.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:48 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a scrap yard at all two cars are fully road legal tax insured mot'd, mine is used daily my grandfathers maybe once or twice a week.

I don't have parts lying around the place or oil stains everywhere etc, if i put a cover over the second robin (which is on sorn so cannot go on the road) you would never know it was incomplete, the trailer tent is in the corner with it's factory fitted cover on.

There has never been an issue with parking on the front before, when my grandfather first took the tenancy he was given permission to park on the front by the old manager and this landlords late father.

It was one of the few good things the house had going for it, when we moved in we even had to fit a whole kitchen because it had been scavenged to repair other occupied properties.

When you say dragging down the area you have to take into account these are single skin prefab concrete houses that have been untouched since the 70's (or earlier) and all renovation work that was being done has been abandoned by the current landlord for at the very least 5 years.

She even went as far as to send out letters telling tenants if they made complaints to environmental health about her houses that she would evict them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:53 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:18 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
It sucks but the way I see it, you run the risk of winning a battle and losing a war, i.e the tenancy won't get renewed, or if you are on a statutory periodic tenancy, then a section 21 notice giving you 2months to leave, but getting to park your cars there in the meantime

could try to negotiate, perhaps? pay a small bit extra for parking to smooth the waters

There is no negotiating with the woman, she treats her tenants with utter disdain.

It isn't the end of the world though I've been putting money aside to get back into Birmingham for a couple months anyway to cut my travelling (250 miles a week looking after gran).

We have only put up with the lack of repairs and renovations because the place is cheap (£98 per week 2/3 bedroom) if she starts coming the cunt about parking we won't have any real choice but to move, we aren't local enough to the bigger urban areas to do without the cars and there is basically no facilities to park on the road because of how narrow the roads are.

Her new letting agent has told us they regret taking on her account because it has been nothing but a nightmare for them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:25 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ste wrote:

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:28 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ste wrote:

I don't have a front garden I have a gravel drive.

I have had the second robin for maybe two years but the front (just behind the headlights) has only been off for a few months until then it was complete.

We have even had a couple of caravans on the drive over the years the last being about three years ago without a peep from the landlord.

I think the note on the windscreen telling her if she had it moved I would report her to the police probably just provoked her tbh.

I was going to get rid of it anyway but when someone says "oy do what i say or else" It just kind of gets on my tits.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tittymcarseface wrote:

Her new letting agent has told us they regret taking on her account because it has been nothing but a nightmare for them.

If it was that much of a nightmare, they could simply cancel her account, I would suggest they are saying that, just to keep you sweet/quiet..

Also.. £98 p/w, my bet is your landlord has decided it's really not worth the effort, and can probably make a reasonable return flogging the house on, and not have to deal with crappy tennants !!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not having a dig at all but...

tittymcarseface wrote:

I don't have a front garden I have a gravel drive.

Nuh-uh, we've been over this already.

If I the owner decide to build a wall across the front of my garden and gravel drive, effectively
denying you any access to said drive, have a guess how much say you have in that decision.

tittymcarseface wrote:

Ah, the old good cop bad cop routine. They still happily take their 10-15% of the rent each month though, don't they? Funny that!

That's exactly the technique I use to buy expensive things like houses and cars a bit cheaper. I play the role of the
friendly, amiable salt of the earth, cheeky but friendly Londoner type in a negotiation. Mrs grr plays the poe faced
bean counter wife who "Will not go over that price while ever her arse point south mate, help me out here..." A tactic
that over the years has saved us many thousands of pounds.

Sounds like that place is turning over about £320 a month after the friendly agent takes their cut. If there's a
mortgage to pay out of the remainder then the nasty evil owner isn't getting much out of it really. Personally I
don't trust agents to be accountable, honest, competent or pro active. After all they are related to estate agents
and therefore experts at blowing smoke up peoples arses and always having an answer or excuse. I'd never use one.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:07 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The houses were an inheritance from her father so I assume they are fully paid up, her dad was actually a nice bloke it was him that said the house included parking, the company owns hundreds of houses on similar old mining villages in the area and all of them have houses in various states of disrepair.

I know there are new rules that say a landlord can get vehicles towed but there are no signs on the property stating no parking or any instructions within the tenancy agreement that parking is prohibited.

If a property you rent has a dropped curb and a driveway, and you were told when you moved in you could park there surely the landlord can't just send someone to your door at random and say move your cars or else i'm going to get them moved (all of them not just the robin with the nose off) which is what she did before contacting the letting agent.

I personally think she is just looking for excuses to evict people because her deadline from the council to get her slum houses in order is due soon.

Would my local council have records of planning permission for the dropped kerb? to find out how long it has been there and what it was to be used fo.

Some of the houses were built with driveways from new in the 60's according to my neighbour, she has lived in her house since it was new, her family moved in before the roads had even been surfaced so she should know.

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:11 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Sounds like one and a half now... Wink

tittymcarseface wrote:
if i put a cover over the second robin (which is on sorn so cannot go on the road)

I do have a third one at my friends workshop the same colour that still has the front end on, maybe I should get it swapped over just to mess with her head.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever considered that she just wants to cash out and flog the place? You antagonising her will just accelerate that decision.

Lets say the place is worth 100k. That's about 310 months or 25 years worth of rent with zero the tenant related
hassle or requirement to keep the place spick and span. Just saying.

To quote a wise man. "Careful now."

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time she put any of her un renovated houses like ours up for auction they reached £30-35k so she pulled them off the market.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

where the fuck do you live?! Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
where the fuck do you live?! Laughing

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 187 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3