Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Had my first off yesterday

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Had my first off yesterday Reply with quote

Someone ran out into my path on Wednesday morning and I managed to shave a little speed off and hit them side on rather than full on. He went flying off to the side and my bike went down and slid for a bit.

They have admitted it’s their fault and will pay for the bike to get fixed up and thankfully there no real damage to either of us other than a few minor aches and scratches.

So what have I learned.

1 despite 15000 miles of London driving in the lastly year or so my accident happened early in the morning when the roads were pretty empty it was one of the least likely scenarios for a crash I’ll ever be in.

2. My armoured jeans and the shoulder and elbow pads in my jacket saved me a lot of lost flesh. As did proper boots. It’s a pain putting all the stuff on but I think it made a huge difference even at 30mph or less. Also be careful when picking your bike back up as the Adrenalin rush allows you to lift something in the moment that your muscles may regret later.

3. My stock exhaust is quiet, and I’m thinking now it’s too quiet. I’m not a fan of some unnecessarily loud cans but I think it’s time to trade up. If anyone has any brands they like for under £200 please let me know.

Safe riding everyone

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He admitted it was his fault and he will pay for repairs?
Did anyone else witness him saying that?

Were you able to verify his details?

It’s a shitty thing but trust nobody where money is concerned.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: This might sound a bit strange but Reply with quote

I’m quite lucky who ran out.

He admitted it was his fault, there were witnesses and I have witness contact details, and the guy gave me his work email and has responded via it. He has a very good job with a high profile firm and he has done nothing so far to cause me any doubts. Seems like a model smidsy so far.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:46 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off yesterday Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

3. My stock exhaust is quiet, and I’m thinking now it’s too quiet. I’m not a fan of some unnecessarily loud cans but I think it’s time to trade up. If anyone has any brands they like for under £200 please let me know.

Black widow. Cheap, stainless ones look stockish. There's fancy GP and carbon options if you desire. Bunch of different lengths, shorter ones are louder. Removable baffles. I find my bandit with a 400mm oval can irritatingly loud on a long run with the baffle out so it stays in. Would have preferred a 300 or 350mm can, but went long for reasons.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Delkevic, cheap and noisy reasonably well made.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to recommend Quill for the exhaust, but I just googled them and it looks like most of the range is £200 to £300. Guess it's been a few years since I bought one.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off yesterday Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
3. My stock exhaust is quiet, and I’m thinking now it’s too quiet.

Bad luck on the crash. Re the exhaust unless it's earth-shatteringly loud, I doubt it'll make any difference to safety.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularly agree that loud cans save lives, however if you want a cheap can anyway then I paid £180 for two bolt on SV1000 cans. Powertech exhausts, they have an ebay store but I bought via phone when they were at motorcycle live and got show discount.

They are pretty well made, not as nice as a set of scorpions or yoshis etc but they are about half the price. They are very loud without the baffles, but I suspect anything unbaffled would be very loud on a litre twin. Baffled they are a good balance between quite and asbo.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off yesterday Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Bad luck on the crash. Re the exhaust unless it's earth-shatteringly loud, I doubt it'll make any difference to safety.

Wouldn't say my exhaust is earth shatteringly loud, but it is loud.

Usually at least once a week riding through London someone tries crossing through stationary traffic (not at a crossing 5 feet away) and will hear me before they see me.

You can easily tell as they appear to deposit something brown in their pants before they turn to look at you and stop.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off yesterday Reply with quote

owl wrote:
Usually at least once a week riding through London someone tries crossing through stationary traffic (not at a crossing 5 feet away) and will hear me before they see me.

Ah. Pedestrians, yes.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:45 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off yesterday Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
owl wrote:

Ah. Pedestrians, yes.

Happened to one of my son's last year in London. Riding to work, half wit ran out in front of him from behind a bus and collided with him. Triumph Street Twin on the ground, dented tank, broken clutch lever and scratches. Then the twat jumped up and limped off without stopping to exchange details. Insurance squabbles followed.

It also happened to my brother fifty years ago in Richmond.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

loud pipes 100% save lives, my bike is definitely on the obnoxious end of the loud spectrum, but when I'm filtering the bimbo in a white SUV will stop plastering war paint on her face in the rear view mirror and get the fuck out of the way

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Had my first off yesterday Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

Safe riding everyone

I had a similar low speed collision many years ago and had exactly the same thoughts upon reflection.

As far as exhausts are concerned as others have said something basic like a Delkevic or Beowulf will do.

Another option should you fancy something better is getting a used Yoshi/Scorpion/Akra on ebay... I took this route. A lot of people return their bikes after 3 years on pcp and tend to revert back to stock before returning the bike and sell the aftermarket exhaust on ebay. These are typically in near new condition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shout for Delkevic. Cheap, but decent enough. Plenty loud with baffle in, obnoxiously loud without it.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
loud pipes 100% save lives, my bike is definitely on the obnoxious end of the loud spectrum, but when I'm filtering the bimbo in a white SUV will stop plastering war paint on her face in the rear view mirror and get the fuck out of the way

Bullshit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
ART-ADS wrote:

Bullshit.

They do make a difference IMO, I've noticed different driver behaviour when I've been on a loud(er) bike. I think there's a limit to how anti-social it should be if you don't want your neighbours setting fire to your bike.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get noticed a fair bit more if you rev bomb and use your horn, more than just your horn. Pity a lot of kids think their 125's motor will be heard inside a cage, irrespective of can. You have a horn, fucking use it.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that horn use can cause drivers to panic brake before they look for a hazard.

Worse when I've been approaching a junction and seen a car preparing to emerge but my view of the driver has been obstructed by parked cars, horn use has been interpreted as vehicle behind getting peeved and caused driver to pull out.

But on both my bikesafe and ERS the attitude of instructors was to use horn when you don't think you have been seen and the use is likely to provide useful information and cause other drivers to take appropriate action.

vehicle abou to pull out? consider horn

vehicle pulling out and alrady in your path and you need to evade? don't use horn, if they brake now you have less room for an evasion

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Worse when I've been approaching a junction and seen a car preparing to emerge but my view of the driver has been obstructed by parked cars, horn use has been interpreted as vehicle behind getting peeved and caused driver to pull out.

Humans are strange creatures Smile That was my point about a louder exhaust, I pass a blind junction on my commute and noticed on noisier bikes they don't pull out, on quieter ones they don't hear you coming and I always had to get ready with the horn.

The only time I've been startled by a bike was from some c**t rev bombing whist right next me. That's why I don't do it, and because I tend not to mechanical abuse my bikes...

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Another shout for Delkevic. Cheap, but decent enough. Plenty loud with baffle in, obnoxiously loud without it.

I've recently fitted a delkevic to my 9r and expected it to be stupidly loud with the baffle out.... I was a little disappointed as it's not much louder than the stock can
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible it's just placebo, but filtering through London traffic I have noticed on a louder bike cars do tend to move over and out of the way. Especially when it's tight as they don't want their mirrors knocked or clipped, they generally hear me long before the actually see me.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
It's possible it's just placebo, but filtering through London traffic I have noticed on a louder bike cars do tend to move over and out of the way. Especially when it's tight as they don't want their mirrors knocked or clipped, they generally hear me long before the actually see me.

I agree except for when they hear you and want to deliberately block you Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1