Looking for a new commuter bike....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Biggest problem with the VFR is fuel economy. Mine only does about 45mpg average.

Same as a 2.0 petrol 4wd SUV Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:27 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Biggest problem with the VFR is fuel economy. Mine only does about 45mpg average.

It's a bit better than my Street Triple, mine seems to do about 50-60mpg on my commute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
kgm wrote:

It's a bit better than my Street Triple, mine seems to do about 50-60mpg on my commute.

I don't do a lot of motorway riding, plus mine is the crossrunner varient. Andy will be riding similar routes to me so whilst the VFR will be fine from a riding perspective it'll still be thirsty.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Does the exhaust smell rich when it won't start?

If you shut off warm, will it start a few seconds later straight away, or is it only after a few minutes of standing?

Also what year is it, mileage, have valves been serviced recently?

The exhaust smells rich all the time, slightly worse since fitting a new exhaust*

If I shut it off warm it will do exactly the same thing a few seconds later or (so far) up to 20 mintues later.

It's a 52 plate, 26k, not since I've owned it (almost 3 years).

* I swapped the plugs about 1500 miles ago, I don't know when they had been done previously, and they all looked normal enough... more recently I had one of the plugs out about a month ago and they still looked normal

Ok so still on carbs, so don't think it's a temperature sensor fault.
Is it manual choke?

I'd be looking for leaky air intake rubbers, valve adjustment or possibly a coil.
Does one header get hotter or stay cooler than the rest when this happens? You can do a spit test to find that out. That might narrow down to a single cylinder.

If you have a multimeter then it might help if you can compare primary and secondary resistance between the coils. The one that's the outlier is generally the problem child, but I bought a set of four used ones to cure mine. These can start to fail once hot, misfiring. When cool again they can behave.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new commuter bike.... Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I've been chasing gremlins since I got the zx9r.... I've sorted out most of the problems.... but it still doesn't like ssssttttoooopppp - start - ssstttoooppp - sta - ssssstttttoooooppppp journeys (which seems to be the way the traffic lights are set up in Glasgow).

so I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap commuter bike that doesn't mind sitting for 5 minutes then moving 10 yards and sitting for another 5 minutes (and repeat several times... daily) Rolling Eyes

split some lanes dude theres not lights every 10 yards. gets gnarly as fuck tho at rush hour

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:39 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new commuter bike.... Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
split some lanes dude theres not lights every 10 yards. gets gnarly as fuck tho at rush hour

It seems you have a terrible disease that it's possible for me to diagnose over the internet.

Please please please go and see a doctor about your AmericanBroism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new commuter bike.... Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

What?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new commuter bike.... Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
ART-ADS wrote:

What?

He spoke very clear Muricanese.

Diversity and inclusion for our dear cousins from the land of Trumpopia please.

You yankist.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new commuter bike.... Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You yankist.

Cor! Thanks! Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:43 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Looking for a new commuter bike.... Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Trumpopia

A weird genetic hybrid twixt Pope and Trump? You're a sick man sir. Sick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2