Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What did you pass your test on? Where? Many tries? Stories..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: What did you pass your test on? Where? Many tries? Stories.. Reply with quote

Well, I can't find a thread for this, so.

I had two goes.

First time, rode from Bedford to test booked in Penzance on a borrowed Honda 250, 'cos I didn't think my Matchless would get that far. Managed to upset the driving examiner nicely before even starting the test, and also left key under plant pot in "test centre" as not used to having a key, had to go back for it, time went by.... It all got worse. Traffic jam/gridlock. The Post Office people.... The hill start made easier... Fail! Rode back to Bedford in ignimony and furious sorrow later that day.

Second, actually in Bedford. Very ratty Ural M63 650cc with white plywood sidecar like 'fridge on its back. One silencer off a BSA Rocket 3, the other off something AMC. Much rust and dirt, hardly any chrome. Rubber saddles. Examiner asked "Is it legal?" I said "Yes". Flagged down during test by girl who knew me. Examiner most impressed. Went wrong way twice, nearly hit a lorry, lifted sidecar on corner, passed!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GS500E. Wasn't interesting.

Rode to test centre. Did test.

Came back on the motorway.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good. I wish.... but my car test (ach!) was like that. The instructor drove back for some reason. Against pupil excitement effects, I guess....

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did theory first, then CBT which I completed on a Fazer 600 despite over 20 years away from bikes. Then about 7 hours
tuition on and off the pad before mod 1. Got one minor on mod 1 for 49kmph in the swerve avoidance. Annoying as
I was doing it much faster in training but my instructor said on test day to pare it right down. It said exactly 32mph on
my speedo but I wasn't allowing for it under reading hence 49kmph. I'm still quite peeved about it to this day. When
I got home from passing mod 1 my wife said "How did you do?". "One fucking minor fault!" I growled in reply and stomped
about in a huff for a few hours. I felt like I had failed even though I had a good solid pass. Had to go to sleep for a couple
of hours to calm down about it.

Mod 2 - Clean sheet. Whole process took about 4 weeks but some of that was waiting for test dates. Did it all on the schools
2003 Fazer 600. Used the test centre at Kingswood, Bristol.

On way back to base after Mod 2 I took a wrong turning on a roundabout and the instructor and the other student
who had just done his mod 1 took the next exit. "Where are you off to?" said the voice in my ear. "We'll just carry on and
you catch us up." So I did a quick U-turn and belted after them as they were on a NSL section of the A4174. So within
literally 5 mins of passing my bike test I was doing 110, bibbed up and on an L plated school bike. Laughing
"That didn't take long..." said instructor as I appeared behind them and got back into radio range. Not gonna tell a lie,
that was my first time north of 100 on a bike, I fuckin loved it. Twisted Evil

Last edited by grr666 on 21:54 - 12 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki RG125 wolf in Stevenage Jan 1995. Didn't have the mod 1 & 2 bollocks back then nor did I have to do a theory either. I feel sorry for people doing their test these days.

Last edited by BenR on 19:21 - 13 Oct 2018; edited 3 times in total

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed DAS in 2003, Moto-Technique in Manchester, on a 600cc Hornet.

I'd been riding a 125 for about a year, and was desperate to pass after sampling warp factor 7 on the Hornet. They're still pretty quick those old fuel injected Hondas.

Didn't need many lessons, they assessed my riding and I just did about four hours on the big bike. I had already been driving cars for about 10 years by this point so no extra hassle learning highway code etc.

Day of the test I ingratiate myself with the examiner, found out I was his last test before emigrating to Spain. Locked up the rear on the emergency stop but he didn't seem to notice, probably thinking about beer and tapas, u-turn went well though!

He wrote out the pass certificate at the end and that was that.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never failed a driving test of any kind.

I did voluntary training in the weeks up to my 16th birthday and was asked to stay on as an instructor and, by the time I was 17, the new 2 part test had been introduced and I had done the much feared Part 1 (Slow machine control) hundreds of times, showing other people how to do it.

Before that, I had decided to do the old single part test on my TS50, so I already had a full moped licence at 16 and the test experience that went with it.

I did my official Part 1 the day after my 17th birthday (couldn't get a booking for the actual day) but because I had only ridden my RD250 for a day and I was more used to a trail bike, I borrowed an XL185. Next available booking for Part 2 was at the end of the next month, so I did that on the RD - fairly uneventful, except for the emergency stop; Examiner stepped out into the road and I locked both discs and slid past him, in a perfectly straight line.

Either he wasn't paying attention, or he was impressed I didn't throw it up the road, got my pass certificate.

My car test was a couple of months later and that was a bit more fraught, but I passed that too and, subsequently, HGV1, PSV and fork lift - I think the only thing I'm not qualified to drive is a tank (although I have tried one) but I have allowed my big licences to lapse by not taking the required medicals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test on a Kawasaki ER5 in Redditch, early October 1998. I'd done a CBT over a year previously but was too busy with a series of Metro's to take my test.

I remember on my first CBT getting a bollocking for using two fingers on the clutch and brake levers of the Yamaha SR125 I was using. He said 'you're not Jeremy Mcgrath now' Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed 1st time on a Yamaha RD250 in 1975 (or was it 76).

I wore a sports jacket, tie and trousers. No, not a sports bike jacket, one of these

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.PFTo7wQVKMHaO0fmtNQ4wAHaKl&w=144&h=204&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Doing the emergency stop, in those days the examiner walked out in front of you and you were meant not to hit him. Laughing . Mine must have had some bad experiences as he stepped out so far ahead of me I had time to change down through the gears and come to a controlled stop in front of him!

We had it easy then. 250's as a learner bike (unrestricted) and any bike as soon as you passed. Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
We had it easy then. 250's as a learner bike (unrestricted) and any bike as soon as you passed. Thumbs Up

It wasn't *that* easy... anyway, I look at all the things people have to do now to get "whatever you want" and I'm shocked. However, it;'s interesting that the forks in the path can get to such different things in different ways...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CG125, first time, Clifton (yes, test centre was right by the bridge)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125, 2003, in Farnborough or Aldershot on roads I didn't know, passed on the third attempt after six months of riding around on L plates and no lessons.

IMO, researching test routes and or wanting to do your test on roads you're familiar with is very overrated.

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:10 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done Mod 1 on an SVxxxS or anything with a "sports" turning circle? I'm curious as to how you found the u-turn...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed on a Honda CB250 K4 in the 70s. The test consisted of two left hand blocks, two right hand blocks, two figure of eight blocks, an emergency stop (tester standing in the road and raising his clipboard as a signal), a few yards of walking pace control and some highway code questions. I'd been riding the bike on a provisional for more than a year before I decided to apply.

First time pass and actually, it was a piece of piss. Very Happy

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 12 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep:-

Polarbear wrote:
Doing the emergency stop, in those days the examiner walked out in front of you and you were meant not to hit him. Laughing . Mine must have had some bad experiences as he stepped out so far ahead of me I had time to change down through the gears and come to a controlled stop in front of him!

Exactly the same for me, in 82. Laughing

Other than that the only odd things about my test were, the day before I took it I got nerfed off my GT125, on a roundabout, basically got squeezed off the road by a car, bent handle bars, footrest and gear lever, all sorted with some brute force, ignorance and a hammer.
I didn't fair so well, I somehow ended up with a massive cut across the front of my ankle, my hand swelled up something rotten, I could barely walk or move my right hand.
I'd taken the day off work for the test anyway, I woke up in the morning and felt awful, like I had the worst hangover ever, I could hardly move my leg or my hand.
So for an easy life I put my waterproof over suit on over my PJ's and took my test wearing that, (plus helmet boots and gloves, obvs). Unfortunately it was a rare hot, sunny day and the over suit had a, lovely, thick padded lining in it, I was sweating cobs!

Passed first time though!

The cut on my ankle took ages to heal, every time I moved my foot the cut would open up again, strangely it didn't leave a scar!
Happy days, eh?

Around the time I took my test, or just before, the very first CBT was introduced, I'd been riding on the roads for a year at least, but before I took my test I had to wobble around some cones in a car park, for which I was given a certificate. I don't remember having to pay anything for the training, just a fee on the day they tested you around the cones. The instructors on the course liked you to stay on for a few weeks once you'd got your pass, I presume to encourage the other noobs!
Anyway, one Sunday one of the instructors asked me to lead a ride around the roads near the test centre. He told me to not to stop at a particular "Stop" sign, not to indicate at a roundabout, break the speed limit in certain places and to jump a set of temporary traffic lights, if possible, so he could then question the other trainees on what I'd done wrong.
Different times, I guess, can't imagine that happening today!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: What did you pass your test on? Where? Many tries? Stori Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Second, actually in Bedford. !

The place where you would have taken your test (I think) most of it is filmed around the old test centre (now flats) and the shops and the loo are actually in another town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT4KE6vR9oI

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha RXS100. Had a cold, felt dreadful. Somehow passed.

Rocked up to test centre on a KMX125 that was a very long way from learner legal, took test on instructors Yamaha. Got some comments about my KMX from examiner who passed me Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

Exactly the same for me, in 82. Laughing

Around the time I took my test, or just before, the very first CBT was introduced, I'd been riding on the roads for a year at least, but before I took my test I had to wobble around some cones in a car park, for which I was given a certificate. I don't remember having to pay anything for the training, just a fee on the day they tested you around the cones. The instructors on the course liked you to stay on for a few weeks once you'd got your pass, I presume to encourage the other noobs!
Anyway, one Sunday one of the instructors asked me to lead a ride around the roads near the test centre. He told me to not to stop at a particular "Stop" sign, not to indicate at a roundabout, break the speed limit in certain places and to jump a set of temporary traffic lights, if possible, so he could then question the other trainees on what I'd done wrong.
Different times, I guess, can't imagine that happening today!

Sounds like you a did a similar thing to me in 1981 - those courses had been around for a few years and were either run by RoSPA, or the local council; I think part of my motivation for doing the moped test was so that I could have some credibility leading ride outs, without L plates.

The major difference between those courses and the CBT was, we actually spent weeks teaching people about how to ride and do basic maintenance, the kind of stuff that stays with you for life.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:16 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a test?!?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:51 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT on 17th Birthday.
Theory when I was 18. Test one on my own bike, Hyosung GTR 125, horrible turning circle. Failed the U-Turn.

Booked 2nd test, same examiner, same bike. Took me to the widest road he could find. Passed.

Restricted to 33bho for 2 years then free reign.

0 lessons here other than the CBT, didn’t research the test routes. Any of that jazz, just got on with it.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1986 on a Yamaha YB100.

I'd put myself through a Star Rider silver course which involved a very frustrated instructor (he started swearing at another rider because they'd bought their bike the day beforehand and they'd never ridden a motorcycle..)

Test was in Blyth, Northumberland in mid winter - got there and it was cancelled due to sheet ice on the roads (couldn't do emergency stop).
Was re-booked for 5 days later and passed. The test back then had the examiner stood on a street corner and would tell you to go to a place in the town and come back - couldn't see me for 90% of the time. The emergency stop was him jumping out in front of me. I was asked to name 3 different road signs.

I passed and can still remember the joy of ripping those L plates to pieces as the examiner walked away.

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:44 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct access on an ER500 first test was cancelled due to examiners going on strike!
Funny I got several minors for not looking far enough over my right shoulder but nothing for looking to the left funny as I’m blind in left eye and my peripheral vision is so good in the right that with the shoulder checks I was doing I could see the left hand curb! But as I still passed I couldn’t be bothered arguing the toss with him

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

passed in april 2001 on a 500cc honda

was supposed to pass on my own 125cc scooter but the brakes failed on that morning and couldn't use it

school gave me a few hours to get used to it and then straight in

no mod one or two then just theory and on a bike on the road test

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot the OP wanted stories too!
When I'd done the Sunday CBT on a school CG with the others, we went into 3days DAS starting on the Monday.

Both me and the guy had ridden alot off road in the past, but for day1 into Birmingham and lots of city riding, we both agreed we'd prefer to be on the CG125's as we were given the choice. On the way back to Redditch on the A441 dual track the instructor overtook us both a said follow me. He took off on his mk1 VFR, and head down I saw about 76mph on the clock of my CG down a 2mile long hill. It didn't sound very nice (those poor pushrods). Laughing

On day one on the ER5, I was asked to go at the back as the other guy was struggling with the bigger bike a bit and the instructor wanted to keep an eye on him. I was running out of fuel and didn't twig why my bike was chugging and not going over 25mph at full throttle. When I stopped and turned onto reserve, it was still spluttering for a few hundred yards and I though it was the carbs playing up. All of a sudden it cleared as I shot off at WOT to try and catch the others. For a few seconds I thought fuck me this is like a race bike! Laughing

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my mod 2 on my 2nd attempt on a riding school GS500e, thought it was fast, rode my cg125 home like it was stolen and taxed my SV650s straight away... And soon realised that the GS was slow Laughing The sv was fast enough for a first proper bike.

Didn't fail my first test, the examiner cancelled it because it was hammering down and he had a cold, all i could hear was sneezing and sniffing. He wouldn't take me back to the test centre so i had to take the helmet off to give him the radio then wait in a car park, in the pissing rain until my instructor showed up, then put his radio on and ride 1 mile to the test centre for a coffee.

Last edited by stonesie on 13:33 - 13 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3