Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What did you pass your test on? Where? Many tries? Stories..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Exactly the same for me, in 82. Laughing

1981 here, according to my driving licence!
Suntan Sid wrote:
Around the time I took my test, or just before, the very first CBT was introduced, I'd been riding on the roads for a year at least, but before I took my test I had to wobble around some cones in a car park, for which I was given a certificate. I don't remember having to pay anything for the training, just a fee on the day they tested you around the cones.

That rings a bell with me, too. Am guessing that was the Star Rider training scheme - ISTR it was introduced so that bike dealers had to deliver your new bike direct to the training centre to avoid 1st timers wobbling off from the dealership into rush-hour traffic on a 250cc road-racer. That was the 'bronze star,' and just covered basic machine control, and I think was compulsory (only if you bought from a dealer though); then there was an optional weekly road-going 'silver star' course, which I did to keep my mum sweet.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed first time in 1972 on a tuned proddy race YDS7 250 Yam. It involved riding round the block several times being observed then the aforementioned examiner jumping in front of you holding his clipboard up. He was a lucky man. It was wet, the front tyre was a blued up michelin race tyre, the front brake a very grabby twin leading shoe drum with race linings that only really worked when hot. We managed not to take him out though.
Looking back a 2000rpm powerband bike with ace bars and rear sets on cold race tyres probably wasn't the best bike to do a test on. Wish I had a vid of the slow riding bit, slipping the clutch at about 8k to get it crawling along.

OGR.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I wore a sports jacket, tie and trousers. No, not a sports bike jacket, one of these

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.PFTo7wQVKMHaO0fmtNQ4wAHaKl&w=144&h=204&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

earner bike (unrestricted) and any bike as soon as you passed. Thumbs Up

A press article about Polar Bear Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/0jn1mhzJ/12119065-944737205599161-899765744111409205-n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked the CBT and rode the XL125 there.... Embarassed .guess in the excitement I'd forgotten about legislation n shizzle. Passed and even got a short ride on the big bike albeit on some tennis courts.

FFWD>> Done theory then booked the test online with 2 days of CBT remaining on the day of the test...oh and only 2 days of insurance ...and tax.

Minging November morning. Assessor was late.
Underway and get told to turn right at end of road...I turn left.
Back on track after a whiz around the roundabout and as we're approaching the traffic light they start to change...I zip on through and Mr Assessor asks me to pull over somewhere safe.

U-turn done now emergency stop time.
I go around the block and approach the Assessor at full chat...and lock up the rear...But did let it off and reapply just as I stopped.
Passed.
Phew!

Rode home like a complete tw@. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two-part test in January 1985.
No problems with part 1, done on my CB100N.
My booking for part 2 got cancelled due to snow and ice though. I wanted to have my license before I went off to do my basic training for the RAF though, the date of which was fast approaching that same month, and as I already had a shiny Kawasaki 750 Turbo waiting patiently in the garage. I managed to book a cancellation, but then my CB nipped up.
So I borrowed the training course's KH100 to do it on. Passed with no problems.
Then I took the Turbo to the training course and rode it round the cones Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
That rings a bell with me, too. Am guessing that was the Star Rider training scheme - ISTR it was introduced so that bike dealers had to deliver your new bike direct to the training centre to avoid 1st timers wobbling off from the dealership into rush-hour traffic on a 250cc road-racer. That was the 'bronze star,' and just covered basic machine control, and I think was compulsory (only if you bought from a dealer though); then there was an optional weekly road-going 'silver star' course, which I did to keep my mum sweet.

Dealer, New bike, what are these things? Mr. Green
Couldn't afford a new bike, I know I was riding around for a long time before doing the course. I might have been exempt from basic training because I had passed my car test 3 years earlier, (first time mind). Cool
I think you're right about the Star Rider thing, I ended up as next door neighbour to the main, course, instructor.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No CBT in Northern Ireland so I was happy bumbling around on a 125. Moved to England in 09 and had to jump though the hoops. CBT on my own 125 (Could legally ride it on my NI licence without a CBT but needed one for test) Mod 1 on an ER5 and mod 2 eventually on a GS500. Took me 3 goes to pass mod 2. Nerves got the better of me twice.

Now I am a fully qualified DAS instructors and most of my students pass mod 2 first time. Go figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:39 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed once because I left an indicator on round an island.

passed in 2004 on a hyosung cruise 2 125 did two years restricted to 33bhp on a vt250 spada and a vtr250 (the firestorm looking one) restriction ended in 2006 bought an 89 honda cb-1 in 2007 which i was knocked off in 2015.

Had a few bikes in between but like the cb-1 too much to part with it, i have another to do the rebuild with but just never seem to have the time.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Dealer, New bike, what are these things?

Heh, Even now, I've never had a new bike but my first proper geared one did come from a dealer - that school playground on a Saturday morning getting my Bronze Star on my KC100 was literally my first time other than a twist'n go moped.

Suntan Sid wrote:
I might have been exempt from basic training because I had passed my car test 3 years earlier

I don't think so (I was in the same boat myself) - the full car licence just gave you an unlimited lifespan riding a 250 on L-plates, no other perks

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time - October/November '95, Rhyl, CB400. Nothing eventful.

Then DD40, SP60+ban

Second time - July '18, Hornet. Nothing eventful.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBT was on a hilariously undersized KMX.
Hailstorm, rain, wind and curiously, warm sunshine made things interesting.
I enjoyed everything but the fact that the other bloke doing his CBT at the time refused to get anywhere near the speed limits.
As soon as I was confident I wanted to crack on but this other bloke didn't want to know, despite loads of messages from the instructor to pick up the pace.

My big bike tests pretty much passed without incident, MOD 1 was just an exercise.
MOD 2 was just a ride out, both done on a trusty XJ6.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely forgot to mention, the examiner for my mod 2 was a stuffy, poe faced old git who was dragged out of
the office to conduct my test because the examiner I would have had was suffering with a knee injury from a
previous off and went home sick just after the test before mine. The guy said "Ride normally, don't worry you won't
get away from me" Two turnings later I had already lost him. He was driving a Citroen Xantia. So yeah, my mod 2 was
examined from a crappy french car. Explains the clean sheet, he couldn't see me half of the time. Laughing

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:35 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode twice round the block while the examiner stood on the corner.

On a CB100N. In the 80s.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:06 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1951 BSA Bantam DI, in the late eighties, failed for not making progress - with a flat out speed of 33mph I'm still not sure how the examiner expected it to go any faster. Three years pootling about on the A38 between Exeter and Plymouth at 30 mph gave me a huge pair of balls that I will quite happily slap in any scoffers face. Laughing

Past at earliest next opportunity on a mate's RS100.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

second cbt I did my speedo cable snapped and we were riding round a city with me having to guess speeds

luckily I could only do 45mph

and trainer was also an apprentice and I was his first ever solo cbt

we went to his mates garage where we had a bbq for an hour Laughing Laughing

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed on 1st attempt in September 1993 on my own RXS100. Test was on unfamiliar roads in Greenford, West London. Coincidentally I later ended up living in Greenford for about 10 years.

CBT was a few months earlier in May 93 at Quickstart motorcycle training in a caravan dealership near Taplow station. I did the CBT on the school’s bike which I think was a CG125. It was the first time I’d even sat on a bike and I remember thinking how massive it felt compared to my bicycle. Neutral

The trainer was a serving Thames Valley Police traffic officer and was a thoroughly decent bloke. He had a very realistic approach to biking. Acknowledged the potential dangers, but encouraged us to have fun, make the most of the machines, get a shift on and own your space on the road.

I had one lesson at the same place a few weeks later, again on their bike. Then I bought my RXS and started commuting into London every day.

So after a few months of London commuting the main test was pretty uneventful. The examiner directed me down a residential road with cars parked both sides. There was a car coming towards me and I decided there was plenty of room so I went for it. I noticed in my mirrors that the examiner had pulled into a space to let the car pass. Oops. At the end of the test he asked what I thought I’d done wrong. I mentioned squeezing past the oncoming car and he agreed and still passed me. Thumbs Up

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT in 2009 on a Chinese 125. Did an accidental wheelie away from a red light when the clutch slipped out of my hand. Never managed it again on that bike despite my best efforts. After a year on the 125 which included learning a great deal about mechanics the hard way and being rescued by Stinkwheel, passed mod 1 and 2 both first time on a school gs125.

Restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, one of which I was banned for totting up 12 points. When I reapplied for my license I had full A entitlement, happy days. I was actually pretty lucky to avoid the new drivers act 6 points revocation thing as my first 9 points were while I was on L plates. Yes I was an idiotic teenager, haven't improved much but after a few nasty offs my riding has definitely calmed down.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode around for ages on a variety of bikes before passing my test.
Then I decided I liked bikes and wanted to progress/be legit Shifty
I bought a Suzuki DR 125 for work & college.
I rode my little Suzuki DR125 of lovelyness EVERYWHERE, ALL OF THE TIME. For a fair while.

Did my test at the Ruislip (West London) Test Centre.
My examiner gave me a route and said he’d see me on route.
I never saw him? but I guess he must of seen me?
I rode my route and returned to my designated spot.
The examiner made me do an emergency stop and I was done,passed Smile
I don’t remember the ride home, I was floating on air Laughing

Then I got stupid and bought a Yamaha RD250lc Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

If that's stupid, there were lots like you Smile
Or do you mean stupid cos you didn't get the 350?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Peterrebel
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:30 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1000cc matchless with sidecar test was in the 50s wood green London passed first time

Took about 30 MINUTES FROM START TO FINISH examiner walked round the route

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
pepperami wrote:

If that's stupid, there were lots like you Smile
Or do you mean stupid cos you didn't get the 350?

Around our manor 350’s for sale were as rare as rocking horse poo.
Also I had a 250 that in my eyes went like shite off a shovel Smile
For the first 3 or 4 months every trip was race day Shocked .

The irony is that after I had restored/refurbished it and was riding sensibly was when I got knocked off it!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

The irony is that after I had restored/refurbished it and was riding sensibly was when I got knocked off it!

There's a moral there, but I probably wouldn't openly recommend putting it into practice these days Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Didn't we all?

Got mine as soon as I could, after passing!
Happy days! Mr. Green

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
pepperami wrote:

Didn't we all?

Got mine as soon as I could, after passing!
Happy days! Mr. Green

Happy days indeed Laughing Thumbs Up the best road going 250 I’ve ever owned.
I still reckon it beats all my other road going 250’s into a cocked hat.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the newer mod 1 and 2 in 2011 at Darlington.

Did mod 1 on an instructors hire YBR 125 (really just signed up with him for mod 1, 1 lesson then test...he got a little shirty when I said thanks and went off to do mod 2 on my own... Neutral).

mod 2 was a week later which I attempted on my own Varadero 125, got 5 minutes into the test and the examiner aborted citing bad weather (winds we a little strong but nothing too bad...eh soft shite DVSA), I was then left to ride 15 mile home in said winds Rolling Eyes.

Re-scheduled for exactly a month later 11th may, got the morning off college, took test passed, also same day I joined here (lurked for a while before mind).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3