Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What did you pass your test on? Where? Many tries? Stories..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:59 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm - I got the 350 YPVS after passing my test.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:20 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 33bhp restricted test (pre-mod1 and 2, but post 2 part test... weird how things go in cycles!) in 1998 in Brighton Marina on an NS125R.

It was my third bike test, failed previously on being dangerous because I did not enter an area of chevrons on the road when stuck at a box junction (yeah I know, right?), and then on something else which I forget. On the test I passed I got two minors for hesitancy, because I'd just managed to spin up my rear tyre on the slip road out of the marina just a few minutes before the test...

Rode home afterwards after having unceremoniously ripped up my L plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started training on a GS500, day 2 I moved on to the GSR600. Passed Mod1 with a fluke (stopped and put foot down by mistake during slow control, but examiner wasn't looking).

Next day did Mod2 on the GSR, got a couple minors and thought I'd failed but got back and I had passed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my Honda CB125s back in July 1975 and at the beginning of September applied for my test.I stupidly failed on insufficient rear observation.So I applied for a cancellation and two weeks later I passed.Best test that I have ever passed Very Happy

The 125 was all that I could afford at the time.But in 1978 I bought my first big bike,a CB550F1 and have never looked back Thumbs Up

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Honda%20750/My%20bikes/BikesBikesBikes2007.jpg~original

The picture shows my younger brothers trying my bike for size

Always have a 'Plan B'

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smashing flares man! Cool

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

I stupidly failed on insufficient rear observation.S

I bought my first big bike,a CB550F1 and have never looked back

Tut Tut naughty

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

Looks just like an Instagram filter of the usual helmetless goings on round my way Laughing

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:17 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my test on a Honda CG 125. Passed first time. 1996.
But learnt how to ride in 1980,in a field, on a Flandria 50 sp547,when I was 12 years old. I thought I’d better get legal in ‘96!

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learn on a 600 Divvy for Mmod and a CB650F for mod2 about 4 and a half years ago in Bristol,

Failed mod1 once for putting my foot down doing the u-turn.

Failed mod2 twice for not indicating going round a roundabout, second time for being too close to parked cars.

Was rather frustrating, but I got there in the end. The worse part was buying the Hornet before I passed, so it was just sitting there.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Happy days indeed Laughing Thumbs Up the best road going 250 I’ve ever owned.
I still reckon it beats all my other road going 250’s into a cocked hat.

More of an all rounder than the KR1S and the MC18 I've owned, but still amazing at the time, felt like a proper bike!
Funny thing is everyone raves about them when reminiscing, but at the time it was just sort of normal, can't say I ever gave it a second thought, I just assumed that, that was how bikes were, I suppose I didn't know any better, not having owned a four stroke. In fact the only person I knew who owned a four stroke was my mates dad, who had a rather nice GPZ 900.
Kept my 250LC for a while, then bought a 350LC.
For some reason I then bought a four stroke, a GS550EN, admittedly it was very smooth but a bit meh after the strokers.
Eventually I saw there error of my ways and persuaded the bank to lend me enough money to buy a brand new 350YPVS F1, hoorah, that was was in 1985. I kept that bike and rang it's neck for 5 years, used it abused it, crashed it bashed it, went to the IOM on it every year and entered the Ramsey sprint on it. I chucked that bike down the road at way over, sensible speeds, but when I came to get rid of it the only noticeable damage was the gaffer tape covering the crack in the belly pan of the full fairing and the scrapes on the left hand Allspeed. Absolute belter of a bike, at the time. I eventually swapped it, in 1990, for a DRZ600, one extreme to the other really.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 15 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I passed my test on a Kawasaki ER5 in Redditch, early October 1998.

Spooky, same place and very similar time, I'll have to dig my pass sheet out.
I was late doing my test in 1998,most mates passed in 89 ish when the test was simple and bike to bike radios didn't exist.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:08 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that I was getting moved onto a new job in central London and decided I wasn't doing the tube I'll do my bike test.

So in February 2016 I booked my CBT and did that but couldn't get my theory booked until April.
In between this I'd bought a PCX 125 so I could get to the office and teach myself to filter.
Passed the theory then booked lessons.
Three days of lessons then MOD 1 and MOD 2 on day four and passed this was on an ER6 in Scunthorpe.

Day after passing I bought my Hornet but went back to the PCX until I had more confidence filtering and was offered a bargain price on a Burgman 400 so took that and sold the PCX.
I took the Hornet home to North Lincolnshire so I could use it on a weekend then the bug bit at home also so I had to have more bikes!

I'd had bikes when I was younger DT50 (80) at 16 NSR 125 at 17 and various field and MX bikes as a kid but hadn't ridden in 23 years before I decided to do the test.
Should have done it when I was 17/18 really enjoying it and hope to head into Europe next year.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:10 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed Mod 1 once because somehow I managed to overshoot the box the front wheel was supposed to stop in by about 1/2 a foot, which was like the easiest bit of the test

Passed it the second time, the rest passed first time all on an XJ6

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
Should have done it when I was 17/18

Similar to you I had a massive break after being on bikes a lot when I was very young, But had I done my test back then,
I have no doubt whatsoever that I would be either dead or potato by now so it's probably for the best that when I turned 19 I
used what little money I had at the time to get my car licence instead. I was in a crap band with a few mates (didn't think it
was crap at the time) and had people and gear to move about so a car was way more useful to me. Having a full D/L also
opened up some employment opportunities so it made sense that way too. Did my DAS just before I turned 41.

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:16 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 600 back in Aug 2015. Almost wheelied the thing. I'd never ridden more than 125 & the power was PHWOAR at the time. Now with a Yammy that has c.100hp & 3 yrs under my belt the Bandit wasn't that powerful in hindsight!

Did mine in Burgess Hill & passed both Mod 1 & Mod 2 at the first go Very Happy
Got told off on Mod 2 for gunning it a lot to the speed limit but it was controlled & safe so he didn't mind!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:48 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gs500 back in 2002. Had been riding for two years before that...Ts125 then a Nsr125. Went to do my cbt again and the bloke said I'd be better off doing the full test, so I did. Theory test a week later then practical. Examiner followed me in a Suzuki Baleno, in peak time traffic on a cold rainy November morning. I lost him almost straightaway, had to keep pulling over to let him catch up, 20 minutes later I'd passed.

Atomic Punk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my mates RD250 in Bridgend South Wales in 1978, as others have said mine was ride around two blocks, ride at a walking pace and a E stop. Nearly came off on wet leaves but that was out of the sight of the on foot examiner.
My training was to ask the guy who had just passed before me what he did, "just look behind you a lot"

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

Many years ago, I read in MCN that the cost of the bike test was to be increased to over three quid. I promptly sent off before the price increase and headed over to Bilston on my trusty BSA Bantam . . . .where I happily passed.

The rest, as they say, is history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having ridden motorbikes for nearly a decade in India in tricky urban situations I was extremely cocky when I started my fast track rider training in rural Cambridgeshire back in 2011.

CBT was no problem as expected and I breezed through DAS 1 with zero errors. Onto DAS 2 which I failed because of passing too close to a lorry... old habits die hard I guess :-p !

Attempt number 2 and I was a bundle of nerves and failed again.

Few weeks later and it was time for attempt number 3 and this time I thought "Fuck it... I am just going to ride the bike to the conditions" and if I fail then riding a bike in the UK is not for me. But this time i passed Laughing !

Bought my first big bike shortly afterwards which was a Bandit 1250 Smile

2Hondas
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT done in early 2007 having never ridden a motorbike before. I then bought a brand new YBR125 because it came with a years insurance, helmet, gloves and a jacket for £2k.
I rode around on that for the best part of a year and then did a 3 day DAS on a CB500.

I did my practical test in Weybridge where I was followed around by Hans-Moleman in his Nissan Micra talking to me via a one-way radio. The majority of the test was him asking me to pull over so he could catch up with me.
When it came to the emergency stop, we stopped in a quiet residential area and he asked me to go around the block.
Loop 1, I was being followed by a car, so he asked me to go round again.
Loop 2, I got back and I was followed by another car, so had to go around again.
Loop 3, another car! The examiner threw his hands up in the air in exhasperation as I rode by.
Loop 4, I gave it some beans around the block and made sure I wasn't followed. Did the emergency stop with no problems.

I then did the U-turn on probably the widest road in the local area, it was a very comfortable 5 car widths.

Got back to the test center and he told me i'd passed. He'd not noted any minors so just picked one at random to make it look like was doing his job. I think he chose 'hesitancy' or similar.

I then went and bought a Hornet, and thought it was utterly insane that I was legally able to ride such a beast.
Immediately after buying it I had to take it for an MOT, and took it to warp-factor 9 on the way there having had no experience on anything with such power.
Absolutely ridiculous.

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motorcycle test was the only one I did that wasn't taken through the Army. That was in 1964 whilst I was on leave in Paisley, where my parents were living at the time. It was on my trusty £4 Lambrettor LI150 and was fairly uneventful apart from the front brake not being up to much,, no great dramas and I came away with a pink slip.
A year later, I took my wheeled vehicle test around Carlisle in a Bedford RL 3 ton truck, in those days there was no HGV, it was possible to pass the test in your car and go out the next day and get a job driving the largest wagons on the road.
A further year on and I got my H licence for tracked vehicles, driving a Centurion tank around the driver training area on Bordon heath, that was the most difficult of them all due to the sheer physical strength involved, the vehicles used on these tank experience days are mostly armoured personnel carriers or self-propelled guns, fully automatic gearboxes and very little else to worry about, if it ain't a Centurion or a Chieftain, it ain't a tank.
I did take my HGV test, class 2, around the time that the compulsory HGV test came into being sometime around 1970 in Germany.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3