Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

downpipe glowing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

thedodge
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:41 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: downpipe glowing Reply with quote

1998 carb model honda blackbird 1100xx, right hand middle down pipe glowing red hot. any help would be appreciated, the bike is very rarely used. Thank you. I must add the Bike probably hasn't done 100 miles in 5 years so would like to think there is no damage.....

Last edited by thedodge on 23:04 - 13 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 13 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: downpipe glowing Reply with quote

thedodge wrote:
1998 carb model honda blackbird 1100xx, right hand middle down pipe glowing red hot. any help would be appreciated, the bike is very rarely used. Thank you

Oh dear.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=325887&highlight=

Third post.

Possibly valve trouble of some sort.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: downpipe glowing Reply with quote

thedodge wrote:
1998 carb model honda blackbird 1100xx, right hand middle down pipe glowing red hot. any help would be appreciated, the bike is very rarely used. Thank you. I must add the Bike probably hasn't done 100 miles in 5 years so would like to think there is no damage.....

Is this while it is moving Shocked Or when you are just sat there not going anywhere...

thedodge
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:11 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: downpipe glowing Reply with quote

Hi as far as I know its just when stationary, I've not noticed it before, it hardly ever gets used , I just fire her up now and then to keep her going and noticed it one day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carb model or injection?

Doesn't matter really, it's probably gummed up and running lean on that cylinder. Running just a little bit lean will push exhaust temps up a lot.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thedodge
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:20 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: glowing downpipe Reply with quote

So a quick blast up the road 5/6 miles should be ok either way without doing damage, and probably sorting it out?

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:09 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: glowing downpipe Reply with quote

thedodge wrote:
So a quick blast up the road 5/6 miles should be ok either way without doing damage, and probably sorting it out?

I'd warm it up and then do a compression check. My bet is that the affected cylinder will show low compression from a leaking valve. It could just be mis adjusted or it might be burned away. I don't see a weak mixture on its own making the pipe hot enough to glow while ticking over, or running hard come to that. You've got high energy gases escaping the exhaust valve during combustion I think. Weak mixtures mind you will eventually destroy exhaust valves and lead to this symptom.

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:34 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a carb model you might have a blocked idle jet on that cylinder causing it to run lean or an air leak on the inlet stubs.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck valve from sitting around? If stuck slightly open the exhaust valve could be letting the burning mixture down a pipe??

Compression test it - all cylinders to look for signs.

Could also be a damaged valve where it seats.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: downpipe glowing Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Carb model or injection?

thedodge wrote:
1998 carb model honda blackbird 1100xx

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:38 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete will be right btw...

thedodge
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:57 - 14 Oct 2018    Post subject: glowing downpipe Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts and help guys, it's obviously mixture or a valve/valve clearance problem

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: lack of use Reply with quote

lack of use, you are a biker so only use it on sunny summer sundays, whilst motorcyclists use theirs all year round, but keep a very keen eye/nose for diesel and black ice. :karma:

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:52 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ wang, have car, use car. Pointless freezing for a fucking title. Laughing

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: cold Reply with quote

never the less, lack of use so there!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

You only freeze if you buy shit/incorrect gear. Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perished or missing carb balance point cover for that cylinder. Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:31 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

You only freeze if you buy shit/incorrect gear. Wink

I ride for enjoyment, not to increase my clothing collection.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1