Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lost Password from Win 10

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kamleras
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:40 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Lost Password from Win 10 Reply with quote

Find a similar related thread, which unfortunately is not available for discussion (threads are locked):
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=297197&view=previous
I tried some of them, and they didn't work ,do you have any other better Suggestions for Windows 10 password recovery?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://win10.guru/dart-10-diagnostic-and-recovery-toolset-10/

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it it works on Win10, but there's a Linux utility called Off-line Registry Editor that basically allows you to blank the Admin password. I've used it a few times in the past, but not since WinXP.

https://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

What you do is burn it as a bootable CD, boot your PC with it, Ie. boot as a Linux machine, it then bypasses all the Windows file system security and sets the admin password to an empty string, after a warning or two asking if you really want to do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:15 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a local acount or a linked-up Microsoft one?

kamleras
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:02 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Not sure it it works on Win10, but there's a Linux utility called Off-line Registry Editor that basically allows you to blank the Admin password. I've used it a few times in the past, but not since WinXP.

What you do is burn it as a bootable CD, boot your PC with it, Ie. boot as a Linux machine, it then bypasses all the Windows file system security and sets the admin password to an empty string, after a warning or two asking if you really want to do this.

What a good suggestion ! if the NT Password doesn't work for me , i will try making a bootable disk as what you said .

kamleras
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:03 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Is this a local acount or a linked-up Microsoft one?

It is a local account .not any one .

Lokimerry
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:01 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamleras wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:

https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/

i will try making a bootable disk as what you said .

Yeah, you can do that (Making a bootable disk ), you can make one with USB, i think that would be the easiest way.

Last edited by Lokimerry on 08:45 - 26 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

kamleras
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:39 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokimerry wrote:
Yeah, you can do that (Making a bootable disk ), you can make one with USB, i think that would be the easiest way.

Ok , thank you ,now i am working on it .

Lokimerry
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:44 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamleras wrote:
Lokimerry wrote:

Ok , thank you ,now i am working on it .

There are other ways to try on your Windows 10 computer .

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:23 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar situation with a microsoft account on a laptop not long ago, laptop had accidentaly been changed to microsoft account.

The owner couldn't log in even after resetting her microsoft password on her other pc, The bootable password reset tool i use did not work so I ended up doing it a bit differently.

If you don't mind removing the hdd you can modify a couple of files to allow access to the machine, the lockscreen by default has accessibility options available so I used that as a back door.

1, remove hdd and connect it to another pc

2, navigate to windows\system32 on the drive in question and temporarily modify two files one is magnify.exe the other is cmd.exe.

3, rename magnify.exe to magnify1.exe, rename cmd.exe to magnify.exe, you will need to swap these back later to restore the magnification and cmd tool functions. (best to make copies of the original files first just in case)

4, refit the drive into the computer you need to unlock.

on the login screen highlight the accessibility options and select magnify, this will now bring up the cmd prompt and should read c:\windows\system32>

To blank a password from the command prompt type; net user (username you wish to modify without brackets) "" for example c:\windows\system32>net user knobcat "" this will blank the local password.

alternatively you can change the password with this prompt by typing your desired password after the user name for example, c:\windows\system32>net user knobcat password , the new password in this case would be "password"

you can use this cmd to do other things too like add a new standard account from the lock screen, c:\windows\system32>net user knobcat /add i'm pretty sure there is a command to make an new admin account from cmd but i can't remember it.

I ended up using the default admin account to upgrade my new account to admin.

To do that you need to first unlock the default admin account by typing, c:\windows\system32>net user administrator /active:yes

This should unlock the default admin account and allow you to modify/ upgrade your new account.

To hide the default admin account again type, c:\windows\system32>net user administrator /active:no

I'm pretty sure there are ways to force a microsoft account back to a local one via settings but you need admin access to the machine first, net user doesn't allow you to edit microsoft account passwords etc it just says not authorised.

I didn't need to do all that though, the owner wasn't fussed about the stuff on the account,

I just deleted the microsoft account from the new one and saved the old user files to the desktop.

They had to reinstall some programs but I saved most if not all of their photos etc this way.

Last edited by tittymcarseface on 23:50 - 28 Nov 2018; edited 2 times in total

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:39 - 28 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are other ways of getting a command prompt up for making the changes

one is to use installation media, once it loads to the main options screen press shift+f10, I didn't have a window 8.1 install disc at the time though.

or

using the built in win 8 and above built in recovery, go to advanced options and select command prompt from there.

from experience the second option doesn't work if the computer is locked and the only user is a microsoft account because you have to enter the password before it will allow you to open a cmd prompt or any of the other recovery methods.

i'm not sure if it is the same for a local password protected account though as i never tried.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 29 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
https://win10.guru/dart-10-diagnostic-and-recovery-toolset-10/

This works seamlessly, with step by step instructions, yet OP decided to go along the route that hasnt been tested since winXP.

Curious...

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did OP succeed? I'm just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

risoucoco
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:33 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pag1n wrote:
Not sure it it works on Win10, but there's a Linux utility called Off-line Registry Editor that basically allows you to blank the Admin password. I've used it a few times in the past, but not since WinXP. https://www.mobiledic.com/windows-topic/reset-windows-7-password.html

Offline Password and Registry Editor not working on my Windows 10. The password is still there after reset.

Staron3
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:22 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Offline Password and Registry Editor not working on my Windows 10. The password is still there after reset.

Starting with Windows 10, the encryption algorithms of SAM accounts have been changed, but Offline NT password tool hasn't updated for about five years, so it may not work any longer:
https://www.passcape.com/index.php?section=blog&cmd=details&id=35

But we can remove the local account password by booting the PC with a Windows 10 install media:
https://www.top-password.com/blog/reset-windows-10-password-with-sticky-keys/
https://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-windows-password-the-easy-way/

Or use the freeware Kon-boot v1.0 to bypass the login screen:
https://www.lifewire.com/kon-boot-review-2626142

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or he could have just followed my link in the first reply.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by this one, it appears to be a helpful spam bot Thinking

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm confused by this one, it appears to be a helpful spam bot Thinking

That was my initial thought, but he has made 2 posts and there was no spam in the first.

It was however tech related and helpful, so I was hoping it/he would reply and give the game away.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Damyus This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Damyus This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:09 - 17 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google says:

"Cain and Abel is a security tool with many great features! One of these is it's hash cracking feature. Cain can use either dictionary, rainbow tables, or pure brute-force attack vectors for analyzing and deciphering hashed passwords!"

I say that sounds like it would take forever.

Good luck with brute forcing my passwords... D!fM599*]C 2,)E9|de394m)Z3E)7_P`55W

Laughing Laughing

Zakeo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:17 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Google says:
"Cain and Abel is a security tool with many great features!
I say that sounds like it would take forever.
By the way,they are doing fine
https://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php
https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/

Yeah,Cain and Abel will take a long time, and you won't necessarily succeed, even though it's powerful tool for cracking password, but I don't recommend that anyone who doesn't know a computers try it, or you'll end up like me.
How about using Command Prompt?
press the Windows Key + R key together to open the Run box,type CMD into the run box,next press the Enter,in the end set up a new password and username for your computer.

Last edited by Zakeo on 07:39 - 24 Jun 2019; edited 1 time in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 20 Jun 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it when well intentioned threads end up with a bad Karma because of fiteing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 282 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2