Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

More theft, prevention?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: More theft, prevention? Reply with quote

Most bikes it seems to me are ridden away. Electrics bypassed, locks removed, off it goes. A few are stuffed into vans.

So, for the ones ridden away, they need to actually go. Is there any sense in or possibility of "doing something" apart from electrically via the ignition switch to make them not go?

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't often start them to ride off with them. The video below is the best example I can find with my limited Google-Fu.

They use a moped with a leg out to push the other scum bag on the stolen bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWB3mBthdSw

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: More theft, prevention? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Most bikes it seems to me are ridden away. Electrics bypassed, locks removed, off it goes. A few are stuffed into vans.

So, for the ones ridden away, they need to actually go. Is there any sense in or possibility of "doing something" apart from electrically via the ignition switch to make them not go?

What manufacturers need to do, is come up with a much less easily defeatable steering lock mechanism for bikes

If two 9 stone wet through scrotes can break a motorcycle steering lock by hand, then it is clearly not up to the task it was designed for

Or something like the old skool Crook Locks for car steering wheels, though would be somewhat more difficult to come up with a universal motorcycle design

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything the combined knowledge and intellect of the BCF can come up with, I wonder?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Is there anything the combined knowledge and intellect of the BCF can come up with, I wonder?

Yes. It's easy: Drill a hole through the frame between the upper and lower bearings where the front forks fit on and slide a long padlock through. That's what I've done. (I'm joking)..

I do think a more robust locking mechanism could be manufactured into that area though. Something with a hardened solid bolt that drops through a hole in that area. Make the actual lock flush with solid metal frame there. Yes lots of leverage can be applied to it but with a strong wide pin in a hole it might just work. Shouldn't cost too much extra to manufacture.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Abba stand concept could work.
A main lock body of some description with a smaller adapter to fit the particular bike if need be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:43 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one way to prevent theft and that's to kill all thieves.

Last edited by Ste on 21:44 - 16 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:43 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front and rear disc locks and a chain around something immovable usually does the trick.

The best deterrent is an alarm and immobiliser I'm not talking about the junky chinese ones that share very few fobs (one fob likely to works multiple bikes) A proper one with tilt and shock sensors,

If the alarm doesn't put them off the average scumbag will be stumped by the immobiliser when they try twisting the wires from the black box together.

Whilst living on castle vale my cb-1 was targeted at least twice a week if it wasn't in the garage , they would scarper as soon as the alarm went off, bike would usually end up on the floor though which was a pain in the arse.

I had the light flash power supply fed through a relay to the horn so not only did the alarm sound and the lights flash but the horn sounded as well.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:12 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?

Nobody mentioned taking the wheels and fairings off and leaving it chained to a lampost?

Ah right that doesn't work the council still nick it.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
How about if the steering lock incorporated some sort of heavy coil spring, so when they kick the bars it just absorbs the impact? Nice project for those college fuckwits who post stupid 'do my homework for me' threads here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy.

https://m.reichelt.com/gb/en/electric-fence-system-high-voltage-generator-fg-025-p150942.html?CTYPE=0&MWSTFREE=0&PROVID=2788&wt_guka=59643250692_263552407415&PROVID=2788&gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwZk3LjtOqLf_pCirbSLXZfbjzBJ6Pm3clxdPDObYUJyPrff23McEMhoCPQ0QAvD_BwE&&r=1

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

You've just given me an awesome idea now for a "bait bike"

Hide a taser inside the seat, with the prongs just under the seat material, then when Scrotey McScrote face jumps on board, 5000V up his jacksie, that should make him think about doing it again Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id connect it to a remote control personally. Or at the very least a microswitch with a 45s delay.

Would be much more satisfactory if they were up to speed before it kicked in. 👍👍👍

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering locks are just a basic factory fitted minimum precaution, and you would be fucking daft to think they should be an industrial grade vault locking pin etc.
Remember they have to fit on pared to the bone sports bikes and there's no overly strong parts on modern bikes.

If you wanted to make a more effective steering lock, you'd be better making it lock the bars to the stem for riding, and when parked have the bars disengaged from the steering tube so that they can go side to side without turning the front wheel.

Preventing theft? Nothing else works like keeping a bike locked up out of sight, but better still not have anyone know where you keep it or that you've got one.

It would be better to have a bike stored indoors, or if you park in block of 10 council garages etc then make the area where you ride into to garage block out of sight. If people know a bike lives in that block of garages but can't narrow it down to which one, then it's less likely all 10 will get broken into on the off chance your Ducati 1299 is in there.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:34 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to prevent theft of your bike is to park next to a more desirable bike that's got worse security.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If you wanted to make a more effective steering lock, you'd be better making it lock the bars to the stem for riding, and when parked have the bars disengaged from the steering tube so that they can go side to side without turning the front wheel.

Hm, interesting. "Fail safe"? I will have to think about this idea. Originally, I'd thought "How to stop scrotes taking your bike from where you left it when in Town" sort of thing. A portable sort of idea rather than "weld it to a huge ship's anchor", so yours is an idea.....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:29 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the bars able to disengage from the steerer tube and just spin freely sounds perfectly safe. Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Having the bars able to disengage from the steerer tube and just spin freely sounds perfectly safe. Laughing

Gear it so the steering's reversed? Smile R-O-F-L-M-A-O!

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:12 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: get an NFC chip implanted. https://jenova-rain.com/nfc-implant-uk/

Step 2: loosen seat

Step 3: create intricate contraption involving compressed spring from car suspension linked to nfc chip reader on handlebar. No chip, seat go boom.

Step 4: I forgot I was transporting that spring officer.

Step 5: don’t forget to remove before selling bike.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 06:16 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Unless they just nick em both Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A good way to prevent theft of your bike is to park next to a more desirable bike that's got worse security.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Steering locks are just a basic factory fitted minimum precaution, and you would be fucking daft to think they should be an industrial grade vault locking pin etc.
Remember they have to fit on pared to the bone sports bikes and there's no overly strong parts on modern bikes.

Preventing theft? Nothing else works like keeping a bike locked up out of sight, but better still not have anyone know where you keep it or that you've got one.

It would be better to have a bike stored indoors, or if you park in block of 10 council garages etc then make the area where you ride into to garage block out of sight. If people know a bike lives in that block of garages but can't narrow it down to which one, then it's less likely all 10 will get broken into on the off chance your Ducati 1299 is in there.

Why is that such a daft idea, the car industry has implemented additional security devices, (like deadlocks), for years now, due to massive theft problems in the 80/90's, i used to be able to get into my MKII Fiesta with my house yale key, the locks were so poor

Why should bikes be any different, especially if said bike is designed as commuter style bike, or Adventure bikes, when there is a reasonable expectation the bike will be left out in the open, away from any indoor lockable construction, for prolonged periods of time

And yes, of course the best way of securing your bike at home is to keep it locked up indoors, but some of us (shock horror) actually use our bikes to go places and leave them for some time, and then want to be able to ride them back, rather than just a blast around the country side and back home again

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I think mr bean had a similar solution.....

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:19 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:

I do think a more robust locking mechanism could be manufactured into that area though. Something with a hardened solid bolt that drops through a hole in that area. Make the actual lock flush with solid metal frame there. Yes lots of leverage can be applied to it but with a strong wide pin in a hole it might just work. Shouldn't cost too much extra to manufacture.

How about a hole in the swinging arm where a bar slides through into the other side and locks flush stopping the rear wheel moving.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these things add weight though! Your all going to be on the other side when buying a new bike. And if a WSB 1000 with lights is what your after, are you really going to pay more money for a bike with such security features that weighs 10kg more than all its rivals that just have a simple std steering lock?

My suggestion was half serious, but on the same principle as having a car where you can remove the steering wheel and take it with you as a theft prevention device.

A vault grade steering lock or a Swingarm big and strong enough to have holes through both sides and a locking bar that fits through is fantasy land, and would make any given bike too expensive and uncompetitive. It might actually help the guys that lift the bikes off and into vans too!

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:24 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick release clutch, brake & gear levers?

Bike in gear then remove levers Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2