BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Universal Credit - enlighten me...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the "pay every adult 12k per year and thats it" approach...

People who work, top it up - people who don't work, don't.

Simples...

Completely fair, everyone gets the same. (With allowances for disabled people and carers I would imagine)

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Universal Credit. I am also a full-time carer for my disabled son. I think we were maybe amongst the first to be rolled out up in guineapig Scotland

My experiences of Universal Credit has been both bad and bad/good. It took them six months of journal entries before I finally got it sorted out. Now my rent has gone up and instead of increasing the payment they have reduced it by £130, here we go hopefully not another six months to get it sorted I hope.

From my experience, you would probably die of starvation while waiting on your UC getting sorted. I was lucky as I had some savings from when I was working and before my wife died

The positive is that I and my son can get by on the benefits, not well off but not starving either.

Last edited by struan80 on 19:46 - 18 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I'm on Universal Credit. I am also a full-time carer for my disabled son. I think we were maybe amongst the first to be rolled out up in guineapig Scotland

My experiences of Universal Credit has been both bad and bad/good. It took them six months of journal entries before I finally got it sorted out. Now my rent has gone up and instead of increasing the payment they have reduced it by £130, here we go hopefully not another six months to get it sorted I hope.

From my experience, you would probably die of starvation while waiting on your UC getting sorted. I was lucky as I had some savings from when I was working and before my wife died

The positive is that I and my son can get by on the benefits, not well off but not starving either. So what I think is round UC up put it in a field and bomb the bastard!

Interesting. So your entire issue with it (as far as I can see) is the fact that it's being run by lemmings in suits. If they actually had some half decent people running it and you had your money within 3 weeks .... You'd be happy with it?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Simples...

Completely fair, everyone gets the same. (With allowances for disabled people and carers I would imagine)

The figure would have to depend on whether it includes housing or not. The left likes the idea of the universal basic income but they're in the pocket of the unions so I can't see them being willing to lay off the 85,000 workers at the department for work and pensions! It would probably have to be restricted to over 18s or capped to a max of 2 children to guard against people popping them out for an extra 12k.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
struan80 wrote:

The positive is that I and my son can get by on the benefits, not well off but not starving either. So what I think is round UC up put it in a field and bomb the bastard!

Interesting. So your entire issue with it (as far as I can see) is the fact that it's being run by lemmings in suits. If they actually had some half decent people running it and you had your money within 3 weeks .... You'd be happy with it?

Another reason to remove the bureaucrats from the system entirely.

And since the Job Centre staff are sucyh experts in getting jobs they should find it easy to find employment in the private sector, riiight Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance! Dance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Simples...

The figure would have to depend on whether it includes housing or not. The left likes the idea of the universal basic income but they're in the pocket of the unions so I can't see them being willing to lay off the 85,000 workers at the department for work and pensions! It would probably have to be restricted to over 18s or capped to a max of 2 children to guard against people popping them out for an extra 12k.

Definitely only over 18s. 100%

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
struan80 wrote:

That is correct I am generally happy with it. Lemmings in suits very much yes. If you are single or a single parent the UC is not so generous.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. 1 adult - 1 UC income... Especially as that single parent will struggle to work 40 hours a week because childcare innit.

Hmmm.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Great idea in principle, but as usual, the implementation of carrying out brain surgery with a golf club.

George Osborne is to blame, and he tried to shift the blame onto IDS.

Was George Osborne also to blame for the interlinked NHS computers that meant for records could be accessed everywhere?

The civil service is the problem.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many moons ago when I was a kid on a sink estate in Weston-s-Mare, my grandmother had food stamps. These could be exchanged at the local shop for food stuff only, - Except the paki shop owner would sell you fags and booze but charged you double stamp value.

Considering just about the whole estate was duggies or alkis he must have made a fortune.

There is always a way around controls.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

The civil service is the problem.

Off topic but agree.

The fractured nature of each silo'ed council / budget etc (same for hospitals) costs a fortune. Not to mention the backhanders and golden handshakes that happen behind closed doors between hospitals / councils and suppliers is awful.

That's why budgets are stretched. Councils are paying triple rates for third party services just because they gave the best back handers.

And don't get me started on the price hospitals pay for drugs.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:52 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was George Osborne also to blame for the interlinked NHS computers that meant for records could be accessed everywhere?

The civil service is the problem.[/quote]

Labour are responsible for the 10 billion wasted on the NHS interlinked computer fiasco. They don't mention it much. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/18/nhs-records-system-10bn

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that. It was mainly to disprove that a singular person is responsible for such a fuck up, rather the civil service has the reverse Midas touch.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2