Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Daelim VT 125 rebuild and Customize.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

AlexRM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:43 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Daelim VT 125 rebuild and Customize. Reply with quote

Hi to all as this is my first post. Smile

So, Wife bought me a 2003 Daelim VT 125 evolution last year and I have been slowly sorting bits out and cleaning the poor thing up as it was in a state. Problem I've hit is that the end of the old exhaust is corroded in the outlet so badly that it looks like a new Cylinder head is needed Sad New Cylinder head ain't cheap either. So I'm throwing ideas around, thinking along the lines of, I have a full License so why not see if I can get some more power out of the bike so it's a bit more nippy, as getting another bike is out of the question.

Idea one, get a larger Cylinder head, Piston, etc to increase the CC, would it be possible, where from and am I forgetting anything else I would have to change?

Idea two, Get a larger engine to drop into it, the frame's built for up to 400cc from what I have been able to find out, but I need to figure out which engines would fit and need as little change to other bits as possible.(My mate says the bottom end of the engine is the same as a Honda CG)

Open to as many Ideas as you lot can throw at me really, just like to get sorted and back on the road. I'll add a picture of the engine to help.

AlexRM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:46 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attachment button isn't working so I'll put the pics up as soon as I can.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:46 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh the only sensible customisation of one of those pos is by way of a can of petrol and a lighter.

You may find it has just rusted to nothing by the time you get back with the petrol, though.

AlexRM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:53 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Tbh the only sensible customisation of one of those pos is by way of a can of petrol and a lighter.

You may find it has just rusted to nothing by the time you get back with the petrol, though.

With a nickname like that, I expect nothing less Wink

Nah, it's a good little bike and I'm enjoying making it my own, be on the road already if that damned exhaust port was clear.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you mean by "larger cylinder head", do you actually have any experience building engines, as your choice of words suggests otherwise

The only meaningful way to increase power is, like you suggested, fitting a larger engine, but working out what will/won't fit will most likely be a case of trial and error, which by the time you have tried a few, would have cost you more than just buying another bike

AlexRM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:44 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "larger cylinder head", do you actually have any experience building engines, as your choice of words suggests otherwise

The only meaningful way to increase power is, like you suggested, fitting a larger engine, but working out what will/won't fit will most likely be a case of trial and error, which by the time you have tried a few, would have cost you more than just buying another bike

Absolutely right, I have a rough idea but no actual experience building engines. Trial and error basis is what I'm currently working on. Gotta start somewhere, I know that you can Bore the engine for a larger piston but I wasn't sure if there was a pre-manufactured way of getting the same result. I'll just have to measure up a few larger engines to replace the current and see what may work. Otherwise, just try get a standard Cylinder head and be happy with it.

these are the engine pics

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righty ho, well i suggest then, the most cost effective way (assuming the cylinder head is toast) would be to find a replacement engine, and i suspect probably the only way, as you will be waiting forever and a day for just a cylinder head for this particular oddball Chinesium bike

So 1st things 1st, is to find out what exactly the engine is, and/or what it is based on, like most Chinesium bikes, they are almost always direct copies of something more mainstream (Honda, Kwak etc), this may then lead onto finding out what else might fit, as there will generally be more info available on the main manufacturers engines, than the oddball Chinky ones

Not a greeat deal of help i know, as i don't know anything about your particular bike, but might at least get you chasing down the right leads rather than looking for a "larger cylinder head" Wink

AlexRM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:58 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Righty ho, well i suggest then, the most cost effective way (assuming the cylinder head is toast) would be to find a replacement engine, and i suspect probably the only way, as you will be waiting forever and a day for just a cylinder head for this particular oddball Chinesium bike

So 1st things 1st, is to find out what exactly the engine is, and/or what it is based on, like most Chinesium bikes, they are almost always direct copies of something more mainstream (Honda, Kwak etc), this may then lead onto finding out what else might fit, as there will generally be more info available on the main manufacturers engines, than the oddball Chinky ones

Not a greeat deal of help i know, as i don't know anything about your particular bike, but might at least get you chasing down the right leads rather than looking for a "larger cylinder head" Wink

Yeah, my optimism is only surpassed by my ignorance there :-p

I do believe it's based around the Honda shadow so I'll start there, thanks for that Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:59 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cylinder head isn't ruined, it just needs careful application of a hammer and chisel to Lever out the remains of the exhaust. I'm not sure why you removed the casings.

For some reason you seem to be be resting it on the internals of someone's gearbox....

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

......., and i suspect probably the only way, as you will be waiting forever and a day for just a cylinder head for this particular oddball Chinesium bike

OK, well. first off, it's South Korean, not Chinese, not so sure the Koreans would appreciate being called chinese, which may make parts appreciably less plentiful, and, more expensive !! I'm not sure the engine is based on any 'japanese' engine, so, you may well, luck out there..

Either way, I would, however, start here ..

https://www.koreanbikeparts.com/

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

......., and i suspect probably the only way, as you will be waiting forever and a day for just a cylinder head for this particular oddball Chinesium bike

OK, well. first off, it's South Korean, not Chinese, not so sure the Koreans would appreciate being called chinese, which may make parts appreciably less plentiful, and, more expensive !! I'm not sure the engine is based on any 'japanese' engine, so, you may well, luck out there..

Either way, I would, however, start here ..

https://www.koreanbikeparts.com/

Sorry, i do appologuise

But, looks like you are in luck

https://www.koreanbikeparts.com/index.php/daelim-parts/vt125-evolution/genuine-cylinder-head-assy-silver-carby-newer-models-daelim-vl125-vj125.html

$300 though

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if it's me but the engine internals beside the clutch are starting to corrode - they splash about in oil usually. Has the engine been submerged in a canal at some point?

Engine itself reminds me of Kawasaki or Suzuki for some reason.

AlexRM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:50 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine's been open for a little while, been working to clean it all up but didn't want to put the casings back on until I'd sorted the port. Already repainted them, the whole engine will be matt black once I'm done. The Hammer and Chisel idea has been used, Heat, grinder, Dremel and various other methods, might give the hammer and chisel another go. The Cylinder head pictured on Korean Bike Parts is different from the one I have and like you said expensive. Never know, I might figure something out soon. Appreciate everyone's comments Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1