Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any Openreach engineers here?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Any Openreach engineers here? Reply with quote

So, the new house has a drop wire from the pole, through a window, to this.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/bt_52a.png

The service isn't live yet and won't be for a month or so, but the window needs replacing, which means the incoming wire has to be moved. The internal wiring leaves a lot to be desired too, and I only need one master socket anyway for the broadband. I'd like to run the internal wiring in a channel down the wall then plaster over it, rather than having a crap cable clipfest.

Nearly every thread I've found deteriorates into an OMGWTFNOTLEGALTHINKOFTHEKITTENZ! outpouring, since it's "not my property". I've not found however any evidence of anyone being carted off by the popo to work in a BT call centre for the rest of their life.

What is the actual likelyhood of having my back doors kicked in if I were to replace and relocate this junction box, and wire my own master socket?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly the kind of thing that doesn't need s question on a forum. 👍

If you have the skills to do it - do it. 😁

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not looking for permission, more interested in hearing first hand experience of anyone falling foul of the "you no touchee" rule.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 22:38 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hesitate to move it. I've replaced master sockets before and shifted stuff about without a second thought. Whenever BT turn up to fix unrelated issues they don't bat an eyelid.

The only thing I'd say it make sure you do a decent job of it, using decent crimps etc. so that it looks like it could have been done by BT.

Doubt you'll find anyone that's ever got into hot water over it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ What he said. Get rid of that nasty 1960's corrosion prone broken box and run new single core internal cable to a new Openreach socket. Keep wiring simple and don't connect loads of extension wiring if you don't need them. Obviously keep any junction box's away from Windows and places where you can get damp or condensation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Not looking for permission, more interested in hearing first hand experience of anyone falling foul of the "you no touchee" rule.

I am that soldier. BT box was in almost in the centre of my poxy 2 bedroom terraced house, above the skirting of a wall with no sockets in and a door either side. So either way I'd have needed to run a cable over a doorway. So I moved the BT socket to nearer the back of the house, where it came in originally, shortened the cable and tried it. Several attempts later when I had calls but no BB, I gave up and called ISP, who called BT in. Engineer came and told me 'we tend to find old houses have these boxes in the strangest places, and never where you've left them'. Then he remarked on the new cable clips along the skirting board. Then he got the fuck on with the job after having the best cup of tea in his life and we all lived happily ever after.

HTH Thumbs Up

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one of those .... removed it. Cleaned up the incoming pair, crimped it direct to a new new cable that goes into a spanking newNT5e master socket.

Ours was so rotten that the wires had been touching and shorting out, slow electrical burns on the wiring stuffed in there.

ADSL went from .7mb down .1mb up to 7mb down .5mb up. 500+ disconnects a day down to 0 disconnects.

Now on fibre BUT if your last "half mile" of copper is all fucked up, your service will be shite no matter what you use.

remember - pins 2 and 5 only and do NOT connect the bell ( orange) wire as you do not need it. We only have one socket in here, that's it. No extensions, ripped it all out when i sorted out the original mess.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1