Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Long run question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Long run question. Reply with quote

Hey so I now have a Yamaha SR 125 that im using to travel between bath, london, blackpool, and sheffield. It manages 60 mph (indicated) can get up to 70 if I tuck down(indicated.)

A few questions.

1: Any idea how inacurate the SR 125s speedo is?

2: Am i going to destroy this bike running it at 50-70 mph for a 6 hour journey if I do it over and over?

3: Is there a way to add extra mirrors that would allow me to see behind me when I am tucked?

4: Storage: Tying bags to the pillion seat, do I literally just get inner tubes or bungee rope and strap it down going through the bars that are on the rack (it has a bar along the sides and the back. or is that not safe?

Also are topboxes and pannier boxes/bags model specific or just a general you buy a pannier box and attach it to your rack?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Long run question. Reply with quote

No. Get a speedo app for your phone and go for a spin and compare

2: Am i going to destroy this bike running it at 50-70 mph for a 6 hour journey if I do it over and over?

No. Not if you maintain it properly.

3: Is there a way to add extra mirrors that would allow me to see behind me when I am tucked?

Yes, you can add extra mirrors if you want. But, I'm not quite sure what you mean about mirrors and being tucked, use a shoulder check.

4: Storage: Tying bags to the pillion seat, do I literally just get inner tubes or bungee rope and strap it down going through the bars that are on the rack (it has a bar along the sides and the back. or is that not safe?

Yes, use common sense, it'll work if you are careful, mind you don't ping yourself in the eye with a bungee, or have one that can foul the back wheel. Might want to look at velcro straps

Also are topboxes and pannier boxes/bags model specific or just a general you buy a pannier box and attach it to your rack?

on the whole, you buy a rack and box together, but cheaper bodges will work

also look at throw over panniers that velcro under and over the pillion seat, and tank bags. I got a servicable set for a tenner second hand once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your speedo is likely to be 3-8mph out or thereabouts.

Your biggest task will be to keep changing your oil every 1000miles and also keeping it topped up to max, as you will be using some oil most likely. Don't let it run low on oil or extend your oil change intervals.

Tucking in to increase speed, and still wanting to see behind you in the mirrors? Sorry but it's the wrong bike and riding position for tucking in out of the wind. You should ride in a normal comfortable riding position where you can see clearly in the mirrors, and forgo an extra few mph, or change the bike to a more aerodynamic type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, have you done this trip before, or are you guestimating time and distance?

i.e you might figure you will average 50 mph over 300 miles, so it will take you 6 hours, but when you factor in - fuel stops, rest stop, hold ups, diversions, stopping for traffic lights and slowing for roaundabouts, filtering past tail backs etc it might be nearer 8 hours

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Long run question. Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

2) Once it's up to temperature it should be fine. Change the oil regularly and at less than the indicated service intervals, reasonable-quality oil is a lot cheaper than mechanical intervention.

3) Probably. "Neck oil" might be good too so that you can see in the mirrors, but you would have to invent it.

4) Yes, but if you can make a box or even an L-shaped couple of bits of sheet material or some semi-rigid stuff like carpet to make your load more "one piece" it will be easier to keep things in place.

Top boxes/panniers? Anything that will fit.

IIWY I'd pile stuff up behind you, sit up reasonably straight, and use the stuff as a backrest to be comfy, and forego a few MPH. Then you can forget about the extra mirrors, your back will be a bit more comfy and warmer even and you will have some idea what your load's doing, and because you're more comfy you will be safer and more relaxed and less agonised and the trip will be much nicer.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:46 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
also, have you done this trip before, or are you guestimating time and distance?

i.e you might figure you will average 50 mph over 300 miles, so it will take you 6 hours, but when you factor in - fuel stops, rest stop, hold ups, diversions, stopping for traffic lights and slowing for roaundabouts, filtering past tail backs etc it might be nearer 8 hours

Google quoted me 5 hours it took me 6 inculding 2 petrol stations and a short 10 min snack break. I had a backpack on me (not biker type) and my back kills, so looking for ways to store stuff.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:48 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Long run question. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
tara1234 wrote:

2) Once it's up to temperature it should be fine. Change the oil regularly and at less than the indicated service intervals, reasonable-quality oil is a lot cheaper than mechanical intervention.

3) Probably. "Neck oil" might be good too so that you can see in the mirrors, but you would have to invent it.

4) Yes, but if you can make a box or even an L-shaped couple of bits of sheet material or some semi-rigid stuff like carpet to make your load more "one piece" it will be easier to keep things in place.

Top boxes/panniers? Anything that will fit.

IIWY I'd pile stuff up behind you, sit up reasonably straight, and use the stuff as a backrest to be comfy, and forego a few MPH. Then you can forget about the extra mirrors, your back will be a bit more comfy and warmer even and you will have some idea what your load's doing, and because you're more comfy you will be safer and more relaxed and less agonised and the trip will be much nicer.

Would you stick to small rucksacks or do you think I could get away with tying a proper hiking (70L) to the pillion seat and keep it stable with bungees?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
[ I had a backpack on me (not biker type) and my back kills, so looking for ways to store stuff.

get a big rucksack, army surplus type shops sell what I think are called daypacks, I can post a pick if you like later in the week, they have a strap fastens round the waist, and a whole bunch of other attachments - some useful on a bike, some not so - I remove them cost about £20 to £30

once you are on the bike you can loosen the shoulder straps a tad, and the weight of the pack will rest on the pillion seat, that's what I do anyway.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A young lad bought a new 125cc bike, and a week later took it back to the dealer. “Going up our hill, it won’t go past 60” he complained. “That’s about right” the salesman replied. “What’s the problem?”
“Well” said the youngster, “I live at number 83.”

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Long run question. Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Would you stick to small rucksacks or do you think I could get away with tying a proper hiking (70L) to the pillion seat and keep it stable with bungees?

If I were you I'd try and put it all in one bag if you can do what you suggest, and hold that onto the bike, not wear anything on your back. If you are likely to want anything "on the way" from your bag, make sure it's near the top/accessible. The bag might be better horizontal. It's where you can put it (!) really. Bungee it on, give it a good old wiggle, and see it it changes position before the off, if it does, fix it. Best to have it nice and solid. Don't strap it to anything insubstantial or that can move.... including you!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For long journeys, I always secure the load to the bike and not me.
Elastic/bungee netting will secure most odd shaped loads (rucksack shaped).
Four or five bungee cords are good for securing most things.

I done a good few mini epic journeys on my bike and bungees are my go to for putting ‘stuff ‘ on my bike.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:41 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you can go long distances on any bike (I used to do South Shields to Bournemouth on an RD250 in my youth) and find ways to strap luggage on I would guess you will soon get very tired of the limited speed and the wind buffeting on an SR125.

I would suggest something with some sort of wind protection, and even something like a 250 would make much more sense so maybe do your test and go a bit bigger before your journeys wear you down and you come to look at them as a chore.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 02:01 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
While you can go long distances on any bike (I used to do South Shields to Bournemouth on an RD250 in my youth) and find ways to strap luggage on I would guess you will soon get very tired of the limited speed and the wind buffeting on an SR125.

I would suggest something with some sort of wind protection, and even something like a 250 would make much more sense so maybe do your test and go a bit bigger before your journeys wear you down and you come to look at them as a chore.

Planning to my test sometime at the start of next year once I got enough experience to pass. Once iv got my license the journey wont take long really as ill be able to use motorways even if I stick with the same bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:20 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
A young lad bought a new 125cc bike, and a week later took it back to the dealer. “Going up our hill, it won’t go past 60” he complained. “That’s about right” the salesman replied. “What’s the problem?”
“Well” said the youngster, “I live at number 83.”

Ugh. What did the dealer say?!?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When strapping down luggage I tend to go with a ratchet type strap + bungees. The elastic on the bungee does wear out quicker with larger loads. The ratchet supports most of the load and the bungee keeps things stable.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cheap. But you get what you pay for.

Kriega US-20 tailbag.

I've had mine for 5 years and its awesome.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Long run question. Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Yamaha SR 125

It looks as though there's plenty of room for a good-sized rucksack, and good attachment points for bungees. If you put the rucksack on horizontally, it might be best to put something stiff in it like a couple of bits of dowel or something so that the aft bit doesn't sag. You could pile more stuff on top, just behind your back.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent rucksack for important things, waterproof bag on back of bike for rest. Bungees or cable ties before a huge long winch strap.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:26 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Long run question. Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

A few questions.

Almost certainly "very". However, it will be overreading, not underreading so you won't get done for speeding.

Quote:

No. But pay attention to the oil level and do not skimp on servicing. Remember to clean the opil and air filters too and give it an odd new plug.

Quote:

Yes, sling a bar-end fitment mirror UNDER the RHS handlebar so you are looking under your armpit through it.

Quote:

Yes, bungee that fucker down. I also sometimes use a camlok strap for extra security. I can recommend both the drybags and bungees sold by lomo. The bags are totally waterproof, the bungees are powerfull enough to take your eye out at 10 paces. Both are cheap. They also now do (comparatively) cheap, waterproof throwover panniers. However you'll get a 40l drybag and 4 bungees for well under £20. https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Dry-bags-Accessories.html

The one MAJOR fuckup with loading bags on the back is if one cones adrift and gets pulled up under your back wheel, jams at the top of the swingarm and locks the wheel. Look at how they are attached and try to avoid this. It is no fun, believe me. If you come to a halt in one piece, chances are the bag will be on fire.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROK straps, part webbing part bungee, work very well for strapping things to motorcycle seat. Rolltop waterproof drybags are really handy and cheap.

Good quality oil, change at least as often as the service manual demands. Get a haynes and service the bike properly. Have a garage do the bits you can't. You may need to do valve clearences every major service interval. Make friends with your local independent motorcycle mechanic.

Get used to moving around when you need to look. You can't do a proper shoulder check with your chin on the tank. Adding a bar end mirror may help, but makesure you get good obs. It's sucky I know. I've been there.

You can go too far with bolt-on extras though.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture from the first mod revival era I take it? Must be as I can see an expansion chamber, and they sure as hell didn't have those in the 60's.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
A picture from the first mod revival era I take it? Must be as I can see an expansion chamber, and they sure as hell didn't have those in the 60's.
DVLA says it's a 1979 Vespa, so spot on.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

July '83.

https://vintagenewsdaily.com/17-year-old-school-leaver-showing-off-his-customized-vespa-scooter-which-has-34-mirrors-and-81-lights/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1