BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dash Cams

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Dash Cams Reply with quote

After reading Doovys thread about being hit by the pikey bitch I think I need to get a dash cam

Thing is, I know the back end of jack shit about them and prices seem to go from pennies to hundreds of pounds.

Anyone know which are the best or is it an Amazon job just going on the blurb?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought this for 7 ponds.

Whacked a 32gb card in it. Seems to be working ok!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273480821125
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:38 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I like the idea of protection in an accident, I really REALLY don't want to become one of *those* people. MotoVloggers probably don't help, and as for cyclist with helmet cams? Talk about mountains and molehills!

I'll hold off on it for as long as I can. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of being continuously filmed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two - one for mine and one for the wife's car.

Key things you want-

Fit and forget (turns on with the ignition - records on a loop - auto save in a collision .

1080p / 30fps is ample / 60fps is nice to have bit not overly important

Don't worry about buying non major brand names

Screen on the front so you can review the recordings without removing SD card

Make sure whatever you buy is capable of taking the larger capacity SD cards. Some state they only work up to 16gb/32gb - it's loads easier if you get a 64gb card.

Other than that standard common sense applies, rule out the cheapest ones and the most expensive ones - take your pick from what's left that fits the above spec and you like the design of.

I recommend getting one that will mount easily behind the rear view mirror so it's basically no where in your way while driving - and you can route the wires behind the roof lining / door card so it looks neat.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Whilst I like the idea of protection in an accident, I really REALLY don't want to become one of *those* people. MotoVloggers probably don't help, and as for cyclist with helmet cams? Talk about mountains and molehills!

I'll hold off on it for as long as I can. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of being continuously filmed.

Simples.

Turn camera on. Forget.

You don't *have* to be a vlogger/cycle/youtubewanker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Just because you have a dashcam doesn’t mean you have to up load any thing it captures to youtube.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

Question: what's the quality of the video like? Can you read number-plates, for instance? EDIT: and the "angle of field".

Last edited by Riejufixing on 13:05 - 18 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I'#ve got one in my van. It just sits there recording the road and my comments/bad language.... I am not tempted to muck about with it and look at footage, still less upload it.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

With the greatest of respect - that looks awful. 😁

720p will be next to useless at night as well. Also "no retail box - comes safely wrapped in bubble wrap." 😲

Err pass. 😁🤣

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern is more that I sometimes do things on the road that I wouldn't want footage of ending up in the hands of the police or on Youtube.

I'm definitely not as bad as many motorcyclists as I'm comparatively an old 'Sam Browne Belt' type, sticking to speed limits and what have you, but it's a bit orwellian that pretty much any road user can shop pretty much any other road user for a minor infraction. If I think it's dodgy to be recorded, I need to stick by my principles and not record others. It's pretty simple really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible consideration nobody's mentioned - what about your footage ending up in the hands of the police and being using to incriminate you?

[EDIT: was beaten to it!]

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Also "no retail box - comes safely wrapped in bubble wrap."

Commodity camera, import from China by the vendor, probably in quantity, e.g.:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-Sale-GT300-HD-Mini-Car_60778785369.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.95.568a1e16yodUNo
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Vehicle-Black-Box-Dash-Camera-Car_60741267334.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.128.568a1e16yodUNo

Ah, so.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Another possible consideration nobody's mentioned - what about your footage ending up in the hands of the police and being using to incriminate you?

That's easy. Swallow it.

Well. If you did it, you did it. Trying to get out of it is perverting the course of justice. Not sure why everyone being found guilty of something isn't hit with this if they did not plead guilty. Still. Ho hum.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

[EDIT: was beaten to it!]

Risk you take to be protected yourself. 👍

But firstly I'd question how bad your driving is to have to worry about it in the first place!

Best in mind if it's simply a bit of speeding you are worried about - the camera can't see your Speedo. And yes they could infer your speed from static points on the video, but to go to that amount of effort you'd have to have been a right cunt on the road.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe camera footage can be used legally to determine speed of a vehicle as playback speed could easily alter this, although some systems use GPS too.

If you really feel the desire to drive like a twat just turn it off for awhile, or yeah just don't have one to begin with.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I do, I once saw a police beemer aquaplane on the M1 and do a barrel roll so high it didn’t knock off the blue lights.
I’d have made a fortune putting that on YouTube.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

With the greatest of respect - that looks awful. 😁

720p will be next to useless at night as well. Also "no retail box - comes safely wrapped in bubble wrap." 😲

Err pass. 😁🤣

It's 1080p and the field of vision/quality is no different to the video doovy posted.

My work van has a nextbase dashcam in and there is no difference.

It came boxed with instructions, and for the price of a pint in Londonistan I'm not complaining.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're happy - that's all that counts. 👍

On a side note it may say 1080p on it - but the bumpf on the link you shared says 720 all over it. 👍

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go then, just ordered one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOGUARD-Blackbox-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Detection-Dashcam/dp/B01E6M084A/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539894654&sr=1-5&keywords=dash+cam

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

You could have paid £40 for the same thing from Argos. I wonder whther it would have been better? Wink

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Looks ok. Max 32gb but not a show stopper.

If you want the motion detection for peace of mind when you leave it and then the engine off you need to bridge a fuse in your fuse box to give 12v to the cig lighter even when the engine is off. But it's easy to do. (And worth having.)

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 18 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From research I've done, the Aukey dr02 front and rear jobby is good for around 100 notes ish, no batteries, hard wired with a super capacitor.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:28 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
Don't believe camera footage can be used legally to determine speed of a vehicle as playback speed could easily alter this, although some systems use GPS too.

If you really feel the desire to drive like a twat just turn it off for awhile, or yeah just don't have one to begin with.

Err... I think that there is (was?) a member on here who got raided by the police and done for dangerous driving due to GoPro footage that was on youtube...

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
owl wrote:

Err... I think that there is (was?) a member on here who got raided by the police and done for dangerous driving due to GoPro footage that was on youtube...

I believe |||N30||| got his back doors smashed in by the 5.0 because of his own footage,on his youtube accout

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Speeding and dangerous/reckless driving aren't necessarily the same thing, doing a wheelie past a school with kids around is dangerous/reckless regardless of speed.

Also my guess if that he was filming his dash/speedo which was used for the evidence against him.

My point was you can't, without doubt, determine speed from normal footage alone (without dash confirmation), as speed of video could have been altered at any point.

Last edited by owl on 10:30 - 19 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2