2015 CBF 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Carl2990
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:25 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: 2015 CBF 125 Reply with quote

Hello!

Looking at buying my first bike to get some on road experience, initially was looking at a Lexmoto but I read so many horror stories about Chinese 125s.

I've found a local Honda CBF125 but it has a knocking noise from engine. I don't mind paying for some maintenance as they've dropped the price knowing it's got an issue.

What is this likely to be, I've attached a video. I've read either clutch basket or tappets? It's only got 8000 miles on and had a service a few months ago.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: 2015 CBF 125 Reply with quote

Carl2990 wrote:
I've found a local Honda CBF125 but it has a knocking noise from engine. I don't mind paying for some maintenance as they've dropped the price knowing it's got an issue.

How much is it? Other details (age, condition)? Have you ever doney work on motorbikes or cars?

Whatever it is sounds nasty.

Carl2990
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:12 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for sale for just over 1000 but they would accept around 900, was thinking more the 800 mark if the knocking sounds like a big issue. Although I can't find too many similar cases so may not a common / easy fix.

Not done any work on a bike engine before but I'm fairly practical if there's a Haynes type manual and I know the problem.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: 2015 CBF 125 Reply with quote

Carl2990 wrote:
Hello!

Hello!
Carl2990 wrote:

Looking at buying my first bike to get some on road experience, initially was looking at a Lexmoto but I read so many horror stories about Chinese 125s.

I've found a local Honda CBF125

... which is an Indian bike, with not much better build quality than most Chinese bikes. And worse than some Chinese built-bikes like the Yamaha YBR.

Carl2990 wrote:

but it has a knocking noise from engine.

Walk away.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl2990 wrote:
It's for sale for just over 1000 but they would accept around 900, was thinking more the 800 mark if the knocking sounds like a big issue. Although I can't find too many similar cases so may not a common / easy fix.

Not done any work on a bike engine before but I'm fairly practical if there's a Haynes type manual and I know the problem.

Call it a new (used) engine at (say) £400. Plus all the effing about finding and fitting it, or (say, wild guess) £200 for bits, plus much more time and much more effing about. Look on Autotrader or eBay or wherever and see what something that runs OK would cost, not necessarily this make/model, and take £400 off then see.

I am tempted to say that I like the sound enough not to buy the thing but if they'd take £4-500 I might look a tit. BUT you haven't said how old it is, mileage....

Someone's got an RS3 125 "NKD" on gumtree but they want £950 and it needs new fork seals (possibly stanchions at £40 each), front wheel bearings and a rear suspension damper, so that's a bit dear too. Ho hum.

Are you desperate to get a bike? Must it be that sort, or would a YBR or something do the job?

Carl2990
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:18 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: 2015 CBF 125 Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Carl2990 wrote:

but it has a knocking noise from engine.

Walk away.

I was starting to get this impression too. The noise did seem worse than I expected. It's a 2015 and only purchased this year from the current owner so I'm assuming the noise is a recent issue.

There's another for sale locally which is only £300 more and hopefully in better condition. Thanks for all the replies. I do like the CBF rather than the YBR but willing to take advice if the CBF is a bit of a duff buy!

I'm in the north east around Durham and there doesn't seem to be a lot of good 125s for sale

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, at your stage and budget, there're all sorts of interesting things to look at. EBay or somewhere. Do you have to have something that must work all the time, or can you put up with the odd outage?

What about this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-skyteam-125cc-cafe-racer-honda-dream-cr110-replica/192674849477?hash=item2cdc50e2c5:g:owUAAOSwTGVbxiW5:rk:3:pf:0

Yes, I know it's bonkers, but then I'm a bit of a lousy commie punk prevert like that.

There's a bizarre-lookiing Sinnis stealth, said to work, with clothes if they happen to fit you

Yes, I'm having another bottle now.

There's another CBF 125 for £950, "with 3 months or 3000 miles engine warranty", that is said to work and to have been "looked after well". It's in Barnet. God.

Not sure I'd like to buy from a dealer, but at least if it blows up quick you've got some remedy, if it keeps going change the oil (again!) and fingers crossed.

Another "Honda CBF 125cc. NEEDS TIDYING , STARTS AND RUNS WELL V5 + KEYS". It says "project bike". I am highly suspicious.

What's a "Sinnis SC 125cc"? Looks comfy. 900 squiddicks or contact the seller and tell him about what you want to pay. 11hp. 14l fuel tank, nice. Might do 60 or so. Looks OK 2016. Done nearly 8K so it does work. Oil it.

Aha. "Perlenbacher".

"Lexmoto Kiden Pisces 125cc only 42 miles" looks like a Muscovy duck dyed red. Still, £995 and registered last month.

Hm. Direct Boikes 125. 2k miles. Generic Chinese, looks like a banana on its back, £745/dealer, nice colour "black" thoiugh, forks look spindly and spaced out. 2015, only done 2k miles. Maybe it doesn't work properly? Who knows.

A "Sukida sk124-4". What the hell is that? Done 15k. I suppose it must work, but how it does it...

Then we're back to the bonkerscafe racerthing. It does look nice. I have looked it up again.

"In fact, the Ace is really a corker of a copy of the limited-edition Honda Dream 50 which was built in 1997/98. The Dream was itself tribute to another bike, the 1962 CR110 privateer racer. So the Ace is a Chinese copy of a Japanese copy of a race replica which itself mimicked the RC110 works racebike - Honda's first 50cc GP machine."

£675/ Who'd a' thunk it. Where is it? Greenock. Bugger, where's Greenock. I've dropped my beer. GOD! It's in SCOTLAND!!! Bugger. I wonder if he'd ride it here if I paid his rail back. Bet that'd cost a ton.

Now I am going to go to bed. Soon.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1