Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need help! WR125X engine lights

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Josh_T99
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:57 - 19 Oct 2018    Post subject: Need help! WR125X engine lights Reply with quote

Complete rookie in bike riding and mechanics, have read the manual but it just refers me to a Yamaha dealership and would rather learn for myself. My engine light stays on after initial ignition and only goes off after I’ve pulled away? Any common problems with the WR125X that I should know about? It’s 2010
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RS65
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:39 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 2010 wr125x and have had it since 2013 and ridden 15000 of the 17000 miles it has. It is just about standard spec and has not been meddled with which can be a big problem. They are very reliable if looked after.
You should be able to pick up a secondhand Haynes manual off Amazon which would be a good source of information to help you.
The engine light should always comes on when the bike is started but normally goes out shortly afterwards. However, I think it is unlikely that you have a problem. If you get flashing engine lights, these are fault codes made up of long and short flashes, and will be something to investigate.
If there is one bit of advice I would give you, then it is to change the oil and oil filter straight away and repeat it every 6mths/1500m. These little engines do need looking after. Enjoy.

Josh_T99
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:40 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, didn’t realise the flashing was a burst of short and long flashes that gives fault codes so that’s something to keep in mind in future! Figured out it’s the battery that won’t let me start the engine as have bump started it, rid for about 40 mins and then turned off the engine and started it back up fine. Do you have the same issue/ever had the same issue and if so what have you done to stop the battery running flat? I’ve heard something about a trickle charger but not read into them much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RS65
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:15 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries are quite small and can run down quite quickly, particularly if you do short trips. I tend to replace my battery about every 2 years but I put both my bikes (I also have a CRF250) on Optimate charges for a day or two each week to keep them topped up. I should add that both of them have Bike Trac trackers fitted to them which has a small constant drain on the batteries.
Both bikes are always locked up with Almax/Squires top of range chains/locks at night (garaged) and at work where I keep lock and chain on site. Discs lock for front wheel and small padlock for rear disc are always carried.
This might seem over the top but you you should be aware that these bikes are very attractive to opportunistic thieves and can quickly and easily disappear.

Josh_T99
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, will keep my battery topped up once a week!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1