Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZXR750/ZX7R vs G-model ZX6R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:02 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: ZXR750/ZX7R vs G-model ZX6R Reply with quote

I never thought i would be in this position but i think i am in the market for a non-commuting machine that i can get out of the garage in good weather. Aka a toy.

I've been stalking L model ZXR750s for the last year, but don't come across many models that are within budget or haven't been ragged. Open to later model ZX7Rs as well, but looks-wise they don't really do it for me. Recently came across some ZX6Rs from the late 90s that looked like they were in good condition, but i've heard the build quality was pretty poor on them?

Not particularly fussed about power, but definitely would like some of the ram air induction (so early ZXR750 is out). Handling is probably most important, and aesthetics is a big part. But i have no idea what either are likely to cost me to maintain and run.

Anyone had both?

[Also, why is the rear brake caliper on the ZX7 & 9 upside down?]

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:03 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ZX6R G or J models, watch out for the headers rusting, the rear shock wearing out, paint on the swingarm flaking off, wheel paint flaking off, brake discs warping and calipers having pistons stuck.

It's the ZX9R B models which have the rear caliper on the bottom of the swingarm, you C models are preferable to that and lots of the parts on the C models are interchangeable with the ZX6R G and J models.

Some of them are now 18 or 19 years old so lots of them are going to be a bit tired.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: ZXR750/ZX7R vs G-model ZX6R Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
Open to later model ZX7Rs as well, but looks-wise they don't really do it for me.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/uYYAAOSw62VZz4pS/$_86.JPG

It's one of the most beautiful sports bikes ever made Shocked

Mr. Green

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
Recently came across some ZX6Rs from the late 90s that looked like they were in good condition, but i've heard the build quality was pretty poor on them?

Not so, in my opinion. In fact the two halves of your sentence contradict each other. The 20-year old bikes looked in good condition but you've heard that build quality was poor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 7r in good fettle with a little bit of suspension adjustment is still a 25 year old design trying hard. An 07 gsxr750 will run rings around it. However, the 7r will make you ache and smile without boring you.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:07 - 20 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget?

You're old enough that insurance prices aren't a concern?

Having a bit of a look on eBay, there are various ZX6R G models and J models which look very tidy and their MOT history is equally tidy. There's quite a lot to choose from, just watch out for the ones which are more of a project than they are a toy. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all subjective with 20year old bikes, but I personally would say that the ZX6R G/J is of similar build quality to a CBR600 or close to it. They had stainless collectors where the CBR didn't. Thin wheel and frame paint is the Kawasaki's problem, but looked after I'd expect them to look as good as a used CBR overall and certainly a step above the finish and build quality of a Thundercat or GSXR 600.

The ZX6R is a newer more modern design of bike than the ZX7R, which is more like a re-styled and refined ZXR from the mid 90's. But if you have long arms and short legs you might find the ZX7R riding position comfortable. Its 11bhp/ibft more than the 600, but about 30kg heavier.

None of the above matters though if you want a classic iconic 750, as it's definitely a beautiful looking bike, much more so than an SRAD or YZF.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like changing valve collets and head gaskets?

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd personally take the zx7r, I've had two. Only downside of them is comfort.

Things to note with the zx7r:

Aftermarket exhaust systems tend to run like dog poop with a couple of exceptions.

So look for one with an OEM exhaust, which may be difficult as they do rust. The only aftermarket systems to consider are Akrapovic and Hindle. They run very well without fuel adjustment. I fitted a full Muzzy to my first, sounded epic, ran like shite despite me fitting a factory pro jet kit. I fitted a high mount Hindle to my second and it ran beautifully (it had a sandybikespares set of headers which ran shite when I bought it).

If one has had a dynojet kit fitted I'd avoid it unless it runs spot on. But according to the 7r forum, ( www.redmonkey.com/7r ) the dynojet kit cannot be made to run perfectly, and it permanently modifies the carbs (have to drill the slide).

Zx7r has a 8k mile valve check interval. Mine needed adjustment at 24k miles.

Brakes are a potential weak point. My first bikes brakes had been unloved and required a full rebuild. I ended up changing them to nissin 4 pots as it was far cheaper despite a full pull apart and clean etc. My second 7r had the stock tokicos but they were fantastic, clearly well looked after, as well as a recent rebuild. I reccomend Bendix MRR pads with them.

Nothing ever went wrong with my 7r, aside wheel bearings, chain/sprockets at around 20k to 25k miles and consumables.

The air induction howl is grin inducing and they handle well for a heavy bike, very stable. Forks often get raised through the yokes to speed up the turning. Front end grip is unmatched, it's a great bike to build confidence on.

Enjoy whatever you buy Thumbs Up

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:51 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys that is very useful. Looks like i really need to get out there to test some of these in person.

Budget is about 4k at a stretch, to include insurance and any repairs. Insurance shouldn't be an issue, i'll start getting quotes on both just to check what sort of envelope i'm working in.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.

On that budget, you can get one that's ten years younger.

Most of these listed on eBay between £3,000 and £3,600 are being sold by dealers but it gives you some idea of what's available. Ignore the chancer asking £3,500 for an F model though. Laughing

Sold listings are more interesting. A 2009 model with 15k miles for £3,600. A 2009 model also with 15k for £3,000. 2009 with 6k miles sold for £3,500.

The ZX10R could also be an option.

You've got a lot of choice with that budget, have fun narrowing it down. Razz

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX7R ('96, P1) is a nice motorcycle for the open road. A plenty of power but not too much, a plenty of torque but not too much. It's just right. But, this motorcycle is also rather heavy and long, with very limited steering lock and it produces a lot of heat. Slow speed maneuverability is rather demanding and just going slow is a pain in the arse. Also, I'm not joking when I say it produces a lot of heat. Riding that in shorts results in both of your shins being burned, eventually. I was also sweating a lot on the bike, but then when the autumn came, it was rather pleasant experience to have my legs warm.

Once you get outside the town and open up the throttle, it is a nice motorcycle. The suspension system (factory settings, I've got 85kg) was very reassuring, tons of confidence. The seating position requires you to clutch the tank with your knees and use your back to hold yourself up. The bars are very low, lower than your knees, so if you stay on your hands all day long, you're going to regret that.

Would I buy another ZX7R? Probably not. I also agree with bacon, the stock exhaust system is the best. One thing worth mentioning, after you purchase one (if), check the ram air intake system works as it should. Some people don't bother with that and then their bike runs lean in high speeds, so the put in bigger jets, which results in running rich in low revs and so on.

The only thing I did to mine, was putting it back to stock and changing the front brake calipers for Nissin 4 pots calipers. I also reversed the gear shifter pattern, because well 20+ years old Kawasaki gearbox is 20+ years old Kawasaki gearbox (stomping on the lever to shift up was just easier than lifting it). Other than that, I had no issues with the bike.

Also, it does look great...
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/dsc02253.jpg

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 19:23 - 21 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The ZX10R could also be an option.

You've got a lot of choice with that budget, have fun narrowing it down. Razz

What he says, however the 10R is stupendously fast. Beyond what I would call fun. Neutral

After I had a go on my mate's '07 ZX10R, I decided I don't need that kind of excitement in my life and limit my riding to vintage bikes and maybe a 636 in the future. Laughing

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going 90's, go full shell suit edition.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/47/f4/2547f4bed6fc8746b60fb12e18d4b2b7.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your budget if you're adamant on a Kawasaki I'd be looking at a B1h. If youre willing to look elsewhere then 2000-2002 R1's, sometimes even later, CBR600RR and GSXR K5's are all within there. Particularly with winter coming up and prices heading lower.

B1h is a vastly different bike chassis wise to the G and J models. Much more compact and sportier.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:46 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: ZXR750/ZX7R vs G-model ZX6R Reply with quote

For your budget you should be able to get massively newer/better bikes than the ones you have in your title.
That's what I'd do Smile.

I'd go for the G model ZX6R over the 7r - more modern, lighter and smaller feeling. Also can be a nice 'all rounder'.

A friend who had a 7r rode my J2 and thought it was better in most ways.
The 7r did have a bit more power, but with the gearing he didn't really notice it and it was a bit heavier too.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that budget I would be looking at a tidy zx6r B1h (03-04) or c1h (05-06). Preferably the C model, it doesn't look as nice but apparently is a much better road bike.

I did enjoy my B1h, first bike I got my knee down on, awesome engine, track suspension (bit stiff for the road).

Would reccomend.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=325298

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Tempted by that myself.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1