Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any experience with bone fracture fixators?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Any experience with bone fracture fixators? Reply with quote

So, back in August I broke my collarbone during an unscheduled dismount; however it didn't heal properly and in mid-September I had to go under the knife to have a couple of inches of rebar screwed on. Fast-forward to today and all's going pretty well with it I think.

Now, at the time of the op I asked the surgeon if I'd need to have the fixator removed at some point in the future, and he said no, normally not. Fine by me, but I just wonder what would happen if I had a similar off again in the future - would the presence of the metal make an injury worse? Or another fracture more likely? Or even, less likely; I dunno?

I'm sure I'm not the only person here with a partly reinforced skeleton, so I wonder if anybody has any knowledge or experience about this?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:48 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you've had done and what happens in the crash.

If it's an intramedullary pin up the middle of the bone and it gets bent, it's a total pain in the arsre to do anything with. Any implant will tend to cause stess risers within the bone structure so it's more likely to break at the end of the implant in case of subsequent trauma.

But more likely to break at all? I'm not sure, again, depends what the implant is and how well the implant has taken I suppose. If you do crash and re-break it, breaking it was always on the cards anyway because you'd still have to subject the bone to a huge stress.

As they said, unless they are causing issues, it's best to leave implants in place, the bone re-models to take the implant into account. Removing it will weaken the bone again until it has a chance to remodel to cope without the metalwork .(minimum 6 weeks)

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in my shin bone it was much better when removed after a year or so, as the slightest knock was sometimes very painful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 21 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea

Last edited by Bikeless on 19:51 - 22 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:22 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered why they don't use external fixators more for collarbones (none of the species I treat have much of a collarbone so it's a bit of an odd one to me). It's pretty near the surface so would lend itself to that kind of repair. It would get in the way a lot when it's in place but compared to plates and screws, it's less traumatic and I'd expect it to have less ongoing issues. They come off after the bone is healed.

I suppose the main problem is they leave clavicles so long hoping they'll repair themselves that screws and bone graft are necessary to get compression at the fracture site. I wonder if they've done a study on what happens if you dive in with an ex-fix when it first happens. I bet you'd get good results.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Depends what you've had done

Mine was a plate, IIRC with 4 screws.
stinkwheel wrote:
Any implant will tend to cause stess risers within the bone structure so it's more likely to break at the end of the implant in case of subsequent trauma.

Yeah, and my break is at the very distal end of the clavicle; there was such a tiny bit of bone left at the end that I think there was only enough room for one screw in there. I'm thinking I really wouldn't want that to break there again, as the broken-off bit would be even smaller and harder to fix next time. Something to discuss with the orthopod at my appointment next week maybe...
stinkwheel wrote:
I wonder if they've done a study on what happens if you dive in with an ex-fix when it first happens. I bet you'd get good results.

I don't know what proportion of fractured clavicles eventually get treated surgically but it must be pretty small I would think, so it would massively increase costs and hospital time if external fixation became the default treatment, wouldn't it. That said, the surgeon who fixed mine (exactly 1 month after my accident) told me when asked that it would have been barn-door obvious to the orthopod who saw my X-rays in A&E in France that my fracture was going to need surgery; nice of him to warn me at the time (not), so I at least would have been a prime candidate for the stinkwheel protocol....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet i broke a clavical when I jumped off a bike a few years ago. My shoulder went spaz and I couldn't lift the bike up. Agony for weeks after.
Ramming my shoulder into the road as i rolled down it probably is the right sort of move to break that little baby.
I had no hospital treatment. I drank 2000mg of aspirin and then drank 6 pints of lager. Was fine then but next morning I awoke with a bang.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my clavicle, like you it never joined so had the op and bone graft, went well and all ready to go the following season. First meeting I clipped someones back wheel, went down and broke it again, felt the snap. It was definitely more painful than the last one. Off to hospital on the diamorphine (good stuff, still hurts but you dont give a shit). X-rays showed it had snapped along the last screw, come out and gone over the plate.
They offered me a choice, another op or try to manipulate it back into position and hope for the best. Due to work getting fed up of me banging myself up I chose the manipulation. along with the collarbone I'd also done the shoulder blade in 2 places and 3 or 4 ribs. Was it painful? If they ever give me the choice again it will be the op! One guy pulled my arm and the other pushed the bone under the plate with his thumb Sick , then immobilised my arm in a special sling.
Upshot was its healed ok but gives me som jip If I swing on it or lay on that side.

OGR.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with your original question, but I think it's a good thing you had some kind of stabilisation.

I broke my clavicle in a bike accident in 1983 and was basically told there was no treatment, either directly after the crash or at any point in the future.

Mine snapped almost in the middle, but no attempt was made to stabilise or immobilise it, beyond a sling that loosely strapped my hand to the opposite shoulder. As a result, the join was constantly dislocating and, eventually, it fused with the distal end behind and towards the proximal portion, something like this

https://i.imgur.com/z14nk8x.png

I've had 35 years of restricted movement, an inability to lay on my right side and all sorts of postural issues, leading to sometimes crippling back problems.

When I think about it now, even with the technology available then, it would've been so easy to screw a plate across it and save me all of the trouble I've had (and continue to have) with it, but then you had to be Barry Sheene to get that kind of treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I've had 35 years of restricted movement, an inability to lay on my right side and all sorts of postural issues, leading to sometimes crippling back problems.
When I think about it now, even with the technology available then, it would've been so easy to screw a plate across it and save me all of the trouble I've had (and continue to have) with it, but then you had to be Barry Sheene to get that kind of treatment.

Why not just go and get it sorted now, then? I mean, mine was pretty much healed up (wrongly!) and had to be rebroken during the surgery before the fixator could be attached; I can't see that's very different from your scenario?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Why not just go and get it sorted now, then? I mean, mine was pretty much healed up (wrongly!) and had to be rebroken during the surgery before the fixator could be attached; I can't see that's very different from your scenario?

I have explored that possibility, but the general opinion seems to be it's too late for me now, unless I want to spend many thousands of pounds on private surgery and years of physio.

After a stroke and a heart attack, not being able to lift my right arm above my head, is the least of my problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the iams fixation in my left leg

meant I could walk on the leg from day one and was back on two wheels within a month

can feel the screws inside when its cold through my skin Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
I have the iams fixation in my left leg

It was sponsored by a pet food manufacturer? Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:27 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a rod pretty much the length of my right Fibula.

Initially, incidentally, it held the break a bit too well, meaning it didn't heal until they removed some screws to loosen it up a bit.

The consultant surgeon said "oh, if you did break it again, I wouldn't have a problem operating on it" - which didn't entirely leave with confidence in a case where I may be operated on by someone less skilled etc.

(So also no cast for me ... and able to ride a bike before it even started healing.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1