Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scrum, Agile and other such 'buzz words'.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Scrum, Agile and other such 'buzz words'. Reply with quote

Evening all,

Looking to escape the world of IT Operations and move to something a little less 'reactive'. Probably staying in IT, but not having to firefight under invested systems, as seems to be the case.

Been looking at Scrum and Agile courses. They seem to start relatively affordable for the foundations courses, but wondering if they're really worth it.

Has anyone ever attended these and thought they're worthwhile?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left off DevOps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Scrum, Agile and other such 'buzz words'. Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
Looking to escape the world of IT Operations and move to something a little less 'reactive'. Probably staying in IT, but not having to firefight under invested systems, as seems to be the case. Been looking at Scrum and Agile courses.

Urgh. I worked in an organically evolved concern that introduced these things. The bottom fell out of the whole system, really ramarkably rapidly. Horrific ways of making self-obsessed people still more self-aggrandising and useless.

I can't comment on available courses, but FGS be careful or you'll end up as a dunghill cock or under the control of them..

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Scrum, Agile and other such 'buzz words'. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Urgh. I worked in an organically evolved concern that introduced these things. The bottom fell out of the whole system, really ramarkably rapidly. Horrific ways of making self-obsessed people still more self-aggrandising and useless.

I can't comment on available courses, but FGS be careful or you'll end up as a dunghill cock or under the control of them..

Sounds like why my US colleagues get so hard over them. Not my cup of tea it would seem.

Time to play the lottery and just retire! Laughing Praying

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Scrum, Agile and other such 'buzz words'. Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Sounds like why my US colleagues get so hard over them. Not my cup of tea it would seem.

Time to play the lottery and just retire! Laughing Praying

If you haven't got long to go, and don't care what happens to the business, go for it and start at the highest level possible, then eff off into the sunset fast with your swag when the bottom drops out.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyber security/Information Security is a growth industry at the moment. Trouble is that the standard qualification (CISSP) is tricky - 7.5 hour exam, screeds of study (not all of which will remain relevant) and the requirement to be proposed by an existing CISSP holder before you can actually get the qualification and registration. Then there's the required CPD...

ETA

Oh and the scrum master qualification is a piece of piss as is the foundation. It's not a bad methodology but it's riddled with middle management jargon slingers.

Have you thought about information management? That's an in demand profession too...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:56 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derka derka, cloud blockchain virtualised. Scrum agile!

See? I can speak modern business too!

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want to move off something more 'reactive' and get an agile qualification. Rolling Eyes

sorry to say, but you've failed at lesson 1. I like the agile way of working and have been working that way since before I even knew it was a thing. It's all about discovering something new, and course correcting with your new piece of feedback. It works well in the exploratory data analysis part of tech I generally hang about it. Probably wouldn't work so well in other areas of IT.

What kind of IT operations do you have experience?

If you have experience, data management strategy is a hot area at the moment. Organisations are either covering up GDPR mistakes or wanting to make use of AI so need to improve their data management.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:00 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

go freelance and become a problem solver.
you can then scoff at these under-invested piles of mess....while charging a handsome fee.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:02 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend whose knowledge of IT extended to putting the kettle on while people fixed his PC. He did a Scrum master course and started getting contracts in the city he then did a QA course and added that to his repertoire. He seems to be doing pretty well out of it despite still knowing not much more about development or IT than he did before.

It seems he is mostly telling people what needs to be done in order to get the "story" or "epic" finished, nothing about how or why, thats for someone else to figure out, he just concentrates on getting it done by the when.

At our place we have not gone full agile but still split everything in to sprints etc for fortnightly deploys as it keeps momentum. We are small though with just 4 devs.

Islander, gives good advice.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:31 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like nonsnese office jargon for people who really really really-really want to be part of the Cool Tech world, but don't know a single thing about any of the Cool Tech they want to be part of.

So they aim for middle management and forge themselves a career out of pissing off all the actual Cool Tech people.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1