BCF: Bike Chat Forums

WR125X mods?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Josh_T99
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:26 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: WR125X mods? Reply with quote

Trying to explore the different ways I can get the most out of the bike, looking to spend a bit of money on the bike come spring, so was wondering what sort of things I could do/buy for the bike to up it’s bhp, top speed, acceleration etc.. any ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they are they're decent machines as 125s go. There's little point trying to get extra performance. You'd have to spend a fortune to get any meaningful gains and it's already a slightly fragile engine, theres a fair few have gone pop at circa 30k. Save the money for a bigger bike when you get a higher category license.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:04 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best upgrade involves removing the L plates. Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you've got deep pockets if it's more power your after? I feel better about myself and my life after having a quick parts price search for bits for your bike.
Ok, so a full exhaust system (non road legal) that's worth having is around £350-550. Apparently the std ECU isn't really Re-fash/re-mappable, so having a power commander supplied, fitted and mapped to suit is around £420-450. A performance cam is around £180 and all the above might see 2-3bhp gains maximum.

If your still desperate to spend after that, then a well known/proven big bore kit (180cc) is around £480. You'll want the performance cam to make the most of it, and some say it needs a bigger injector and throttle body. Your looking at another £100-120 of mapping time on the dyno too.

All the above, fitted and set up properly and tuned just right on a dyno adds about 5.5-6bhp.

As said even before tuning, it seems a fair few YZF/WR125 engines are terminally expiring at 30-35k. You'd probably need to cut oil change intervals to under 1000miles, and maybe install an oil cooler for the extra oil capacity as much as the extra cooling capacity.

Good luck with it, and hope your budget can stand it,and if you did go all out, I hope your bike maintenance skills are up to the requirements to keep it serviced to its demands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

merquis00
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I hope you've got deep pockets if it's more power your after? I feel better about myself and my life after having a quick parts price search for bits for your bike.
Ok, so a full exhaust system (non road legal) that's worth having is around £350-550. Apparently the std ECU isn't really Re-fash/re-mappable, so having a power commander supplied, fitted and mapped to suit is around £420-450. A performance cam is around £180 and all the above might see 2-3bhp gains maximum.

If your still desperate to spend after that, then a well known/proven big bore kit (180cc) is around £480. You'll want the performance cam to make the most of it, and some say it needs a bigger injector and throttle body. Your looking at another £100-120 of mapping time on the dyno too.

All the above, fitted and set up properly and tuned just right on a dyno adds about 5.5-6bhp.

this^ plus other 125 speed tips:

take the wing mirrors off
take the rear pegs off
remove the seat
remove Brakes, they just slow you down *ba-dum-tsst*
cut the bars to stubby length
drill many holes in the airbox...because the internet says so.
remove all bolts you deem unnecessary.
remove the rider.

= speed gain, 3mph = win Mr. Green

But seriously, The WR will do an "indicated" 70 to 75mph, thats a fair ask for a 4 stroke 125 in the Chinese-saturated "does 55mph" market. Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: WR125X mods? Reply with quote

Josh_T99 wrote:
Trying to explore the different ways I can get the most out of the bike, looking to spend a bit of money on the bike come spring, so was wondering what sort of things I could do/buy for the bike to up it’s bhp, top speed, acceleration etc.. any ideas?

Rather than be thinking how to make it faster you could possibly have more fun by making it more versatile. Not sure where you live, but if you're in the vicinity of green lanes and/or legal off-road places, see if you can get some off-road wheels/tyres. If you've not done any off-roading you'll find it'll help a lot with on road stuff. Improves balance, and you have to look further ahead off road, always trying to get a decent line. So your concentration improves too.

As others have said, forget trying to make it quicker - you'll waste money and fuck the bike.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

HappyDays
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Just do the tail tidy exhaust and levers also you can play with the mirrors and keep the bits for when you sell as bikes that are original seem to hold the value.
Did the sprockets on mine for better torque.
Then just enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEAmkzaFZcw&t=199s

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dem bars

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1