Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tuned Bike on A2 License?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

OxideRides
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:02 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Tuned Bike on A2 License? Reply with quote

I've struggled to find anything on this, but it's a question that's been going through my head for some time...

I've just gotten myself a KTM Duke 390 and I was thinking of doing a few modifications in the next few months. Just the regular stuff... Decat exhaust tail tidy etc. And I was wondering if I do these mods, would the reduction of weight I squeeze out of it make my bike no longer A2 compliant??

Last edited by OxideRides on 10:22 - 23 Oct 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 22 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the KTM 390 has to be slightly restricted by a few bhp by the dealer to keep it within A2 power/weight legislation. As I understand in full 43bhp form it's over the A2 limit.

A performance exhaust and ECU map could add maybe 2-3bhp so on a non A2 compliant example it does become a bit more illegal. I'd be keeping any dyno prints to yourself if you did do such modifications as it certainly won't be making the bike any more A2 compliant than it was before if at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke 390, stock, is over the A2 limit. Tuning will make things more illegal, as will reducing the weight as A2 is not just a power limit, it's a power to weight limit as well.

Up to you if you want to risk it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:35 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even though burglary is illegal, if I burgle someone will it be illegal?

That's what your question sounds like.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those 'I'm not doing anything criminal, as long as I dont get caught'.

OxideRides
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:52 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Quote:
Even though burglary is illegal, if I burgle someone will it be illegal?

That's what your question sounds like.

I'm simply asking if tuning would make the bike illegal. Jeez. I have no intention of doing those modifications if they did make the bike no longer A2 compliant. I simply wanted clarification if this was the case, that doing these mods would in fact make the bike illegal. Now I am educated.

Something to look forward to once I get my DAS then.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:59 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OxideRides wrote:

I'm simply asking if tuning would make the bike illegal. Jeez. I have no intention of doing those modifications if they did make the bike no longer A2 compliant. I simply wanted clarification if this was the case, that doing these mods would in fact make the bike illegal. Now I am educated.

Something to look forward to once I get my DAS then.

So, you're asking if tuning a bike that should be restricted for A2 compliance will make it illegal?

Sheesh, kids these days need to be spoon fed EVERYTHING.

OxideRides
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:02 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Duke 390, stock, is over the A2 limit. Tuning will make things more illegal, as will reducing the weight as A2 is not just a power limit, it's a power to weight limit as well.

Up to you if you want to risk it.

From what I've been told by the dealer, the original 2011-2016 390 dukes were over the A2 limit and had to be restricted. KTM changed this with the new 2017+ version to make it comply with the A2 license restrictions from stock. Or so I've heard. They sold it to me knowing the type of license I have and my insurance company are also fully aware. The only place I can find anything saying otherwise is the a2bikes website, which only has information on the old KTM Duke 390.

OxideRides
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:20 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

So, you're asking if tuning a bike that should be restricted for A2 compliance will make it illegal?

Sheesh, kids these days need to be spoon fed EVERYTHING.

It doesn't need to be restricted though, that's my point! The new ones are compliant from stock and I wanted to make sure that by doing your bog-standard bike upgrades that it wouldn't then make the bike illegal for me to ride, because it's something that I didn't think of until I saw stats on a certain exhaust manufacturer's website on weight reduction. Thumbs Up

I always thought it better to seek clarification.

...I'm guessing this also means that doing something as simple as swapping a few bits for carbon and switching all the bolts to titanium would also cause the same issue? Hmm.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:25 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OxideRides wrote:

...I'm guessing this also means that doing something as simple as swapping a few bits for carbon and switching all the bolts to titanium would also cause the same issue? Hmm.

The long and the short of it is, the bike is so on the edge for the A2 compliance that you should not be trying to make it faster or lighter. I doubt carbon bits or titanium bolts would make a difference, but an exhaust and remap certainly would.

In my experience replacing parts with lighter ones makes hardly any difference. I remember a former member of this very forum weighing his bike before and after replacing all bolts and fittings with lightweight alloy parts, and the bike actually ended up weighing more afterwards!

OxideRides
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:34 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The long and the short of it is, the bike is so on the edge for the A2 compliance that you should not be trying to make it faster or lighter. I doubt carbon bits or titanium bolts would make a difference, but an exhaust and remap certainly would.

In my experience replacing parts with lighter ones makes hardly any difference. I remember a former member of this very forum weighing his bike before and after replacing all bolts and fittings with lightweight alloy parts, and the bike actually ended up weighing more afterwards!

Thanks for clearing things up. I do plan on replacing the bolts anyway, but I'll save some money and go for stainless steel. The bolts were terrible on my old 125 and had been left to rust completely by its previous owner. Made any simple maintenance task a complete nightmare!

Whilst we're on this topic, would a slip-on have the same effect or would they be ok? I notice KTM sell an akra slip-on as an optional add-on.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

OP would be better off going on a diet, or taking a dump before jumping on the bike Laughing

Would also cost a lot less than lashing or carbon fibre parts and titanium bolts

OxideRides
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:53 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

OP would be better off going on a diet, or taking a dump before jumping on the bike Laughing

Would also cost a lot less than lashing or carbon fibre parts and titanium bolts

There's no better motivation xD. Though my suspension barely moves under my own weight as it is. Any lighter and I'll no longer be able to reach the ground Laughing

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Disagree. Read the statement in my signature. Saving weight is like free bhp and stopping power.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:37 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Disagree. Read the statement in my signature. Saving weight is like free bhp and stopping power.

Don't be daft, of course I agree with what you say in your sig, I'm just saying that replacing one or two panels and screws won't make much difference. I am also a student of the Colin Chapman school of poor English: 'Simplificate and add lightness'.

My Arrow titanium exhaust saved 7kg on my Street Triple. But swapping a few nuts and bolts won't make much difference at all, and can end up heavier afterwards.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But applying the same level of attention to detail to all weight saving does pay dividends. Me and my mate went from front to back of his racebike and found a 16kg weight loss just from lots of small things and drilling out bolts etc.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:02 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
But applying the same level of attention to detail to all weight saving does pay dividends. Me and my mate went from front to back of his racebike and found a 16kg weight loss just from lots of small things and drilling out bolts etc.

Fine, but what I'm saying is I've seen plenty of people replace fasteners only to find the replacements were heavier! It's a bit different on a race bike where you can ditch entire road parts etc. My trackbike weighs a fair bit less than the road version because I've ditched all the structure under the rear subframe and seat and the multiple interlocking panels from the front of the fairing. That's a bit different from swapping two seat panels and five bolts and expecting there to be a significant loss of weight.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the 2017 model, it's so close to the edge on the power to weight limit that any minor weight savings could make it illegal, certainly nothing a rider could notice. It's like a tenth of a HP/KG.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM weren't daft and they knew exactly what they were doing by making a bike that's right on the edge if the Power/weight limit. They saw the comparatively heavy Kawasaki and Yamaha and thought "hmmm not enough race bike for us".

I do agree with Marjay on some of the aftermarket fasteners comparing them to OEM mild steel ones in that they can be heavier.

My pro-bolt kits are very nice and light compared to std. But I've got several stainless steel fasteners on the bike from a generic fastener company that are heavier or have a slightly bigger head size or flange diameter than the old OEM fasteners too.

I don't care personally as there's only 11 kg between an 86 KMX 125 and an 86 KX125. When you consider all the road going equipment and battery etc that's not alot of difference.

I'd like the 34bhp of the KX much more though, and I'm trying my best to get some of that power into my bike.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 23 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never under the impression that the Duke 390 felt underpowered either. It's no rocket, but for a 400 single to crack the ton seems perfectly fine to me.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d be of the opinion that making modifications would be legal.

Why? Because it was specified that you can’t use a 20 year old bike that made 71kW out of the factory, even though there’s no way it’s over the limit now, it’s the original design that matters.
So why can’t it be the other way? Get it restricted to bob on 0.2kW/kg at the factory specification and then play with it as much as you like.

We need Rogerborg back for this sort of thing.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:14 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pointless exercise in futility that would be.

Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 24 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you can use the "it's a 20year old engine so it's lost enough horses to qualify" argument though. Not all 20year old bikes will be in the same condition, have done the same mileage or been looked after the same with servicing etc.

What about the ones that have had engine re-builds?

I remember watching a test of a 200'000mile VW Tdi something or other that was just 10bhp down from about 115bhp that it had new.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:02 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Not sure you can use the "it's a 20year old engine so it's lost enough horses to qualify" argument though.

You can’t, that’s what I’m saying. I had to get an A2 licence and it seemed like it was designed so you couldn’t buy an older 600 for it and there was a lot of talk about “what if I dyno it and it’s less than 70kW” and the answer was no.

Looking at the wording of what I can find online, I’m not sure you’d get away with it in court as the word ‘original’ has now been taken out of the specification.

These questions always boil down to two things though:
-nobody will ever check. If the police did ask any questions, most of the time they’ll be fine with the restriction certificate.
-if you crash a bike with undeclared mods, you aren’t insured.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:44 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law references the original listed factory power of the bike, so you can't do the old "I've left the gate open for the last 20 years and all the horses have galloped away" top gear defence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 183 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2