Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First gear decisions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:30 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: First gear decisions... Reply with quote

Hey there, new rider here, looking for some input in my first gear decisions. My bike will be a brand new Lexmoto Valiant which my step dad just bought for us to share. (I did prefer a rugged Suzuki GN for half the price...but this one was free!).

I have a semi flexible budget of 3-400 for 4 pieces I'm skipping boots for now because all I wear are heavy duty boots.
I won't be doing any long journeys nor commuting as of now, it is for pure enjoyment and practice.

I think I have decided on the helmet, HJC IS-17 discounted at £99 at sportsbike shop. There's cheaper ones but I'm unsure if it's worthwhile.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/107118

My biggest indecision are jackets!!! There are tons and tons of them.
Pretty decided on textile, although I saw some really cool used Wolf leather jackets for 50 quid.

Current contenders are all available for 100-125 and have matching trousers available for a further 100~
Oxford Montreal 3.0,
Oxford Oslo at 50% discount
RST Rallye
Richa Phantom
A used Wolf GT-s Titanium for 125 (looks to be as new)

From reading some reviews they all look alright, and I was quite inclined to the Oxford Montreal kit, seems to have some really neat features. But would the Wolf jacket with double RPR completely blow it out of the water??? Or are there even cheaper jackets just as good?

And with the Montreal, would the hi viz version be a good idea, or look plain stupid Laughing
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/386933

Still haven't looked at the final piece, gloves...

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you cover the Lexmoto in a product called ACF-50 (£15 for a spray can or £30 for a bottle) the moment you get it delivered: letting a bike from such a brand go through the roads this time of year without protection will soon see it with problems.

All well and good looking at helmets but you need to go and try some on in person -- and learn how to PROPERLY tell if a helmet can fit -- before buying one. First time mistakes include buying a helmet far too big for the persons head (watch videos online if you're unsure; make sure you wear it for ten minutes or so -- take someone with you so you don't get bothered).

In terms of gear RST Blade range are entry level and should sort you out for now (Wolf are made in the same factory but I've only ever been tempted by their gloves). RST low level ranges are basically all the same and differences appear when you get into their PRO ranges. You'll basically just want something with a removable thermal layer for when it gets warm (but by that point in time I'd suspect you'll be buying more gear as time progresses).

You didn't ask but look here -- https://securityforbikes.com/ -- for your chains (or Almax; a different website) because stuff they sell in shops are pants. 125 cc's are so hot for being stolen at the moment that it's redonkulas. 16 mm for at home and 13 mm for around should do you well, you'll need as many locks as you can afford in the current climate.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:04 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for that lightning fast reply!
I'll take your advice on the rust protection (hadn't even thought of it). I wanted to get a used bike, seeing as I'll only keep it for 1-2 years, but my stepdad wanted something to keep for himself and with warranty Laughing my opinion was a good bike wouldn't even need warranty for anything that we couldn't learn to fix, but I digress.

I'm waiting for the weekend to go visit some shops and try some things on, it's a bit weird how all the brands make things different size.
Although I'm a bit conscious of wasting their time and then buying online bc it's cheaper Karma might end up buying from the shop.

Whats your opinion on the Wolf jacket? It's not scuffed so I figure it hasn't been compromised. Is it a good opportunity to get something double quality at half price?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the is17 fits, it's well worth getting. Oxford jackets are very tight on the biceps, try first. I use a richa phantom without linings all summer and stick linings back in for wet and cold. Much better room if you have biceps than the Oxford I tried (and sold). You haven't mentioned gloves.....as with everything, try before you buy. If you're looking at second hand jackets, goretex should be on list of wants too.

Fit is everything. Don't squander money on something you're not sure of.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:34 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% try on all you can in clothing shop. Some of the jackets you really need to try as with inner-liners etc size chart is only so helpful.

Nothing wrong with trying and buying online cheaper, its really up to the store to be competitive. Usually there will be some okay discounts going too.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
Although I'm a bit conscious of wasting their time and then buying online bc it's cheaper Karma might end up buying from the shop.

I always just say I'm trying it on to put on my Christmas list and my mum/granny/wife may come along later and buy it. (It could happen! Very Happy)

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
(I did prefer a rugged Suzuki GN for half the price...but this one was free!)

Eh? What's half of nothing?

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:57 - 25 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

I always just say I'm trying it on to put on my Christmas list and my mum/granny/wife may come along later and buy it. (It could happen! Very Happy)

Very good point indeed.

Evil Hans wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:
(I did prefer a rugged Suzuki GN for half the price...but this one was free!)

I meant, he spent £1800 on the Lexmoto, (on-road price with a lot of stuff included), I was eyeing a £800 Suzuki GN that would leave 1k free for gear for both of us and even future repairs.

However, as he wanted to buy the Lexmoto, it was pretty much free for me.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:17 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:08 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

C

Mr. Green

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

C

See - you CAN master concision! I told them, I said you watch - one day he'll amaze you all with a post so pithy, so droll and in literally the shortest form.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: First gear decisions... Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
Hey there, new rider here, looking for some input in my first gear decisions. My bike will be a brand new Lexmoto Valiant which my step dad just bought for us to share. (I did prefer a rugged Suzuki GN for half the price...but this one was free!).

I have a semi flexible budget of 3-400 for 4 pieces I'm skipping boots for now because all I wear are heavy duty boots.
I won't be doing any long journeys nor commuting as of now, it is for pure enjoyment and practice.

I think I have decided on the helmet, HJC IS-17 discounted at £99 at sportsbike shop. There's cheaper ones but I'm unsure if it's worthwhile.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/107118

My biggest indecision are jackets!!! There are tons and tons of them.
Pretty decided on textile, although I saw some really cool used Wolf leather jackets for 50 quid.

Current contenders are all available for 100-125 and have matching trousers available for a further 100~
Oxford Montreal 3.0,
Oxford Oslo at 50% discount
RST Rallye
Richa Phantom
A used Wolf GT-s Titanium for 125 (looks to be as new)

From reading some reviews they all look alright, and I was quite inclined to the Oxford Montreal kit, seems to have some really neat features. But would the Wolf jacket with double RPR completely blow it out of the water??? Or are there even cheaper jackets just as good?

And with the Montreal, would the hi viz version be a good idea, or look plain stupid Laughing
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/386933

Still haven't looked at the final piece, gloves...

Box branded lids are fine for 125s. Jackets - I'd be buying a second hand Spada (w/ removable linings), used of eBay. In XL or XXL. For those two bits of stuff you'd be coming in under a ton.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should pay more close attention to what gear you get. especially heading into winter. good gear that will keep you warm and dry will be the difference of whether you stick with motorcycling or not.

most helmets are decent these days, just get one that fits and forget the price. though I'd recommend definitely getting one with the built in sun visor especially with the sun so low at the moment.

jacket, just get something waterproof with armour. it doesn't have to be stylish. personally i'd be on ebay looking for a 2-piece goretex set that zips together to stay dry over winter.

boots, up to you, but you say heavy duty boots? does that mean toe caps? you don't want to drop a bike on a toe cap and have it buckle in on your foot. plenty of waterproof bike boots out there with proper protection. i got some richa monza-2 boots for £30, 2 years ago and apart from the soles, they still look new now.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great idea to ask about kit to wear. With helmets I can't stress enough that you should actually go and try different ones on. Size charts mean almost nothing because they vary so much inside - very good advice offered to try on, wear for a while and not be pushed by a sales person.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

C

Someone call an ambulance, he's obviously had a seizure at the keyboard.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lids gloves and boots - New

Everything else. Used via ebay.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:52 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all your advice! I think now I can shop more confidently Very Happy

When I say heavy duty boots I mean thick leather, the kind that lasts forever, no steel caps as I read that in an accident they can bend/warp, as they are only designed to take vertical force.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave leather for now, get some textiles.

I bought my first set of textiles last year, which considering I've been riding 9 years now is stupid. I suffered with a leather 2 piece for most of that, wearing a one piece rain suit over the top for bad weather. Froze my tits off and got soaked regularly.

Prioritise the textiles and buy leathers later if you want them Thumbs Up

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:02 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: layers for warmth and break stuff in Reply with quote

Whatever you are wearing, if you find yourself getting cold as winter sets in layers underneath it will help a lot, I have seen biker specific thermals but camping/hiking gear, thin thermals, underneath a wicking tee-shirt or top etc.

I started re-using hiking gear I already had and you can end up with three layers, for the same bulk as a normal woolly jumper but much warmer.

The summer gloves I have which I really like, are useful in colder temperatures now with a cheap pair of thin thinsulate gloves worn underneath.

One of those neck-tube things that you can pull up into your helmet can make a huge difference and thermal socks too.

I don't really feel the cold in normal life but pratting around on my 125cc on ring roads practicing for imminent mod 2 recently for hours has taught me, you can get pretty cold after hours of wind-chill.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RST kit is reasoanble, I go throgh kit quite fast and my blade trousers and evo jacket I bought in early 2016 are still going. that's good for me. I'm considering a rallye when my jaket finally dies as the sporty evo is a bit short.

IS17 is a good helmet, (5 star safety rating https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ ) it's not a good fit for me, but I've had other HJCs and bought an IS17 for my now ex. I've got an rpha ST which has the same visor. It's ok, the pinlock is a good fit, but some early ones crack at the catch. The ones with premium metal catches dont last as long but are interchangable with the plastic catches.

I've had problems with the Shark skwal visor mechanism and my AGV K3SV has a fragile visor with a poor pinlock implementation and the sunvisor mechanism keeps breaking.

Don't skimp on gloves. They're the most likely part of you to hit the ground. You might end up needing more than one pair, I'm not sure to advise getting full winter gloves or all season watherproofs.

Go Goretex for gloves, it's where it makes the most difference. I've had HG and IXS goretex and they'be been great, cheap gloves don't last long and bulky ones are hard to move it. I had a really chunky pair of BKS gloves and whilst they were very war I couldn't move in them. Every time I go glove shopping there's never waterproof Alpinestars in my size that I like but I like their summer gloves

I've just got a set of Richa Hurricane gloves which are a non-bulky all season glove that importantly have a long narrow gauntlet that fits inside my jacket cuffs. Unless you have ape-hangers water runs down your jacket into your gloves wirh it chucks it down.

I've had good experiences with my Richa ColdProtect gloves, they're a full on wihter glove but aren't unmanageably thick. If I had to have one glove for the next 6 months, no heated grips or muffs, it would be these.

Whilst you'll hear a chorus of fit muffs for winter here, get confident on your bike first. Then don't skimp and get the rigid tucano urbanos.

With all of your kit, check the whole item is CE certifed if you can, not just the protective inserts. Whilst some non-certified kit can be good, you don't get to find out untill someone else has tried. There's a lot of reasoanbly priced certified kit out there that I wouldn't otherwise touch. Category 2 gloves are better than cat 1, but mostly only bulky winter gloves are meeting cat2 at the moment. AAA clothing is better than A, but I've not seen affordable textiles better than A rated. Most certifed leathers are AAA.

As for boots, put and empty boot on it's side on the floor. Stand on the side of the sole and see if it folds. if it does, that's broken bones in your feet if you drop a bike on it. And you want the boot to come up over you ankle.

But the best gear is gear you can afford, not gear you're saving for. I had an off maybe 3 or 4 months into riding. Cheap (like £40) trouses and a hand-me-down leahter jacket held up. Got my ankle caught uner the bike and dragged along. There's a mark on the boot where the chain bit them, and some scuffing. I had some minor soft tisue damage in my foot. But my gloves didnt pull off my hands being dragged feet first, and my jacket remained zipped to my trousers so it all worked well enough. You probalby don't need kit that can withstand sliding down a racetrack at 150mph, you do need to survive urban stupidity.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:50 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: My gear Reply with quote

Hello guys, just thought I'd report in in case anyone is interested.

It seems one can fully kit out on the cheap WITHOUT compromising quality, but it takes some research and diving into eBay or visiting a lot of shops. So here goes:

Shark s600 dark knight: £25
Can you believe?? It was an ex display item and when I asked the guy offered it to be for 25 as long as I bought something else.

Akito leather jacket with elbow, shoulder & back protector: £20
No scuffs, fits me perfect and has a full trousers zip.

Akito leather trousers: 25£
I wanted some matching trousers, which I found with the full zip and all, but I got distracted and lost the auction.
Ended up buying another pair. They are pristine and fit good, problem is, I didn't realise they only had the jacket zip at the back, and too short on the ankles (I forgot to compensate the riding position). Knee protection is on right place though, just missing an inch or two of leg.
Could they actually be lengthened, or am I better of searching for another pair??

talkToTheHat wrote:

Don't skimp on gloves. They're the most likely part of you to hit the ground.

I'm still missing proper gloves and ride with standard leather ones. (Don't bash me).
Was looking at some akito ones as well, but not sure if they are good enough. They'd be more for the rest of the year tho not winter.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AKITO-HI-SPEED-PLUS-KEPROTEC-motorcycle-gloves-Medium/283271559650

I want to spend more on those as talkToTheHat suggests. But found it hard to pick a model as there's so many. Both the Hurricane and ColdProtect look quite good. The saving I made would allow me to pick these up.

talkToTheHat wrote:

As for boots, put and empty boot on it's side on the floor. Stand on the side of the sole and see if it folds. if it does, that's broken bones in your feet if you drop a bike on it. And you want the boot to come up over you ankle.

2 of mine survived the test, the other 2 failed, thanks for the tip and all other advice as well.

So, to sum up:
Helmet:£25
Jacket: £20
Trousers: £25
Gloves:£15-?

Some nice gear, new or with minimum wear, for possibly <£100.

Thanks folks.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: My gear Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Bargain, but I'd be slightly concerned about the number of times an 'ex display' helmet may have been dropped.

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

too short on the ankles (I forgot to compensate the riding position). Knee protection is on right place though, just missing an inch or two of leg.
Could they actually be lengthened, or am I better of searching for another pair??

You might find that they are fine with proper bike boots. In fact, some people prefer their trousers to come up a little short.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: My gear Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Bargain, but I'd be slightly concerned about the number of times an 'ex display' helmet may have been dropped.

Probably no more than the amount of times you're likely to drop your own helmet Smile

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:13 - 26 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: My gear Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Ahah, good point, but looked across every inch and took the smooth and scratch free surface as a "Not severely dropped" sign Rolling Eyes

Not anymore though, went out for a ride and scratched the visor Dance!

The trousers are more comfy than I expected, but if the boots were of the short kind there'd be a gap. for wind to get in.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:52 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: My gear Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Hey there, just leaving an update, if anyone's interested...

I replaced the helmet, you guys are right, of all the things to cheap out on, a helmet ain't one, I also noticed the date and it's near expiry.
Bought a comfy Duchinni 605 flip-up with side grooves that is a breeze to put on/off with me curly long hair (I had to wear a scarf or similar before otherwise the hair would get stuck) and glasses. Loads of boxes had arrived same day I went to pick up the bike from service/tyre change (OEMs sucked), and the dealer made a nice discount.

I've traded the leather trousers for two other pairs, couldn't fit me belly properly in there after all...anyways, I have a "proper" pair with all round zip, and a more casual pair, although no knee protection worries me a bit on the second pair. Still better than jeans tho! And quite warm.

I added to the collection a mint Wolf Outlast jacket for £30, and some Akito 3 season leather gloves I like a lot for £15 quid, new with tags from ebay. Idk how some sell these things so cheap, esp the wolf which RPRs at 250+, but good for me! I'm on the lookout for matching wolf trousers to complete the two sets, but there's no matching 32" yet Very Happy

Still no intention of buying boots though, only ones I like are the Spada Pilgrim and Harley Faded Glory, which is the kind of boot I wear all wear round anyway. (I can leave my address below if any of you are feeling generous Wink )

Now I'm looking for proper winter gloves Laughing the chill is horrible after the first 10-15 minutes...but I have another thread on that.

All in all I'm happy with me gear (-gloves), has kept me warm and comfy from 30 to 60 minutes rides.

BTW, why did no one warn me biker gear was addictive!?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: My gear Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
I replaced the helmet, you guys are right, of all the things to cheap out on, a helmet ain't one, I also noticed the date and it's near expiry.

Helmets have an expiry date? Smile I suspect a lot of helmets have spent a while on the shelf.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2