Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:17 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: My gear Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:
I replaced the helmet, you guys are right, of all the things to cheap out on, a helmet ain't one, I also noticed the date and it's near expiry.

Helmets have an expiry date? Smile I suspect a lot of helmets have spent a while on the shelf.

Well...I mean it's over the age that it is recommended to replace...9 years to be exact Mr. Green

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:40 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who told you that?

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:30 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Who told you that?

Biking magazines/websites, youTubers, cbt trainer Shifty

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arai recommend replacing your helmet 7 years after date of manufacture and 5 years after date of purchase. https://www.araihelmet.eu/en/faq

AGV recommended you replace your helmet 7 years after date of manufacture and 5 years after date of purchase. https://support.agv.co.uk/support/solutions/articles/5000626659-how-do-i-know-when-my-helmet-is-past-its-best-

Shoei recommend replacing a helmet after about seven years. https://www.shoei-europe.com/uk/service/faq#k

I can't be bothered to look at any more but I'd expect advice from other manufacturers to be similar. It's UV light that's slowly damaging your lid so the actual life span of a helmet is going to vary hugely from person to person.

Basically, you don't need to worry too much because helmets do not have expiry dates or best before dates or anything else along those lines. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Arai recommend replacing your helmet 7 years after date of manufacture and 5 years after date of purchase. https://www.araihelmet.eu/en/faq

How do you find that out? I don't recall seeing one on the paperwork or are they somewhere on the lid?

I thought it was 3-5 years depending on the construction type. My main lid came from Amazon about 4.5 years ago (time flies Sad) so is probably due replacement this year. My spare lid which I really need to get rid of as it doesn't fit properly, came from an eBay random so f**k knows how old it actually is Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:33 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or are they somewhere on the lid?

It's somewhere on the FAQ page. Razz

How do I find out how old my helmet is?

There are several ways to determine the production date of the helmet:

1. By the production code engraved on the chinstrap D-ring. The code offers a capital letter followed by one or two figures. The capital letter represents the production year, starting with the letter A for the production year 2001. (B for 2002, C for 2003 etc.). The letter is followed by the production months. Example: O11 = year 2015, month November.

Your helmet's manufacture date may also be offered in figures only, located in one of three places, it may be on the:

2. The chinstrap D-Ring (Late 2000's to Present).

3. On a white tag on the long side of the chinstrap (Mid 2000's).

4. Stamped into the leatherette of the chin strap (Early 2000's).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
1. By the production code engraved on the chinstrap D-ring. The code offers a capital letter followed by one or two figures. The capital letter represents the production year, starting with the letter A for the production year 2001. (B for 2002, C for 2003 etc.). The letter is followed by the production months. Example: O11 = year 2015, month November.

Your helmet's manufacture date may also be offered in figures only, located in one of three places, it may be on the:

2. The chinstrap D-Ring (Late 2000's to Present).

3. On a white tag on the long side of the chinstrap (Mid 2000's).

4. Stamped into the leatherette of the chin strap (Early 2000's).

Nope Smile All I can see is the type approval label. I CBA removing the linings.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a manufacturer specific age marking? I don't think I've seen that on any of mine.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:26 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ste, I know they didn't explode after the "usable date", but wasn't too sure on the what/why and the consequences either.

Mine was 9 years old, so just over the recommendations, I think did well replacing it, even though it was new inside, if not because of the "hazard", because my new one is actually much comfier and easy to put on off.
Should have looked better before buying. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 107 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2