Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oxford Advanced Touring Hot Grips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 26 Oct 2018    Post subject: Oxford Advanced Touring Hot Grips Reply with quote

Hi,
If anyone is interested ive just ordered these grips fro Sportsbike Shop at a good price (price matched)

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/handlebar_accessories/hotgrips_advanced_touring_uk_specific/

£55 delivered with code SJT3T

or they have dropped the premium version to £45

My hands were feeling the chill this morning so these will go on then my muffs.
Hope this helps someone

Mark

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sport version for £40 posted

https://www.mandp.co.uk/oxford-hotgrips-sport-uk-only.html

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think its a good price Laughing Not having any oxford branded rubbish on my bike.

Many of the cheapest chinese ones are significantly better.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:10 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Why do you think its a good price Laughing Not having any oxford branded rubbish on my bike.

Many of the cheapest chinese ones are significantly better.

I really don't get the Qxford hate.....

I've had heated grips, worked fine.

I've had covers. lasted for years.

I've had chains, bikes weren't nicked.

I've had throw over panniers that lasted 3 european tours on my busa with no leaks.

I reckon it's pragmasis poofters or almax arseholes who don't like Oxford.

Folded arms

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the oxford adventure grips. They're a little longer than the sport and touring ones. I killed an R&G set of grips in about a year, really high wear rate despite being far too hard. On my second set of oxfords having got 3 or 4 winters out of the touring set before they wore through. Still on original oxford controller.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&G heated from Ebay £37 delivered. installed on one of our training bikes when we bought it 4 years ago and still work fine, now installed on my bike. Work fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:17 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's 2 versions of these premium grips BTW guys the OP's link is for the new version with waterproof connectors, based on the product code in the M&P version they are the older model without the waterproof connectors which should still be fine but use dielectric grease or tape to waterproof.

I got the new version at last years NEC show for £50, definitely the best deal they had IMO, installed them this weekend to replace Keis Chicane grips (throttle failed after 2 years use, much thinner wiring in comparison)

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh - I know several people who have the Oxford heated grips and absolutely love them.

As with most brands I assume they do some things well and others not so well. Grips, it seems, are good. Chains not so good.

I've still not got heated grips. Going to buy some this week, I think. It's feeling chilly.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:43 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

going to get some grips for the f4i, is the advanced version much better than the standard version then? does the standard issue have problems with getting too wet?

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:

It's fashionable to hate on Oxford products on the internet.

Dont know about the rest of the Oxford products but the hot grips are excellent. Had them on my bikes since 2011 and no complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:

just like its fashionable to hate you on here...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
KITT wrote:
just like its fashionable to hate you on here...
Who?
Oh. Rolling Eyes

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Oxford a mixed bag, the grips I had from them were spot on for over 2 years before I sold that bike.
On the other hand the jacket and gloves I had when I started riding were branded 'Bone Dry' and were less waterproof than a fleece.
I just avoid their clothing.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sports/premium were hit and miss for me.

I've had 3 sets of oxford grips from SBS. first worked flawlessly. Second was DOA and the third which i eventually removed, only worked on the throttle side. Left side was hit and miss whether it worked.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the sports advanced for £52, EL692UK is the product code.
These have the watertight connectors, and 9 heat settings.

Didn't see links above Crying or Very sad

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-HOT-HEATED-GRIPS-ADVANCED-SPORTS-UK-SPECIFIC-WEEKEND-ONLY-SALE-/332851986590

Link not working now though, price has gone up.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I really don't get the Qxford hate.....

I've had heated grips, worked fine.

I've had covers. lasted for years.

I've had chains, bikes weren't nicked.

I've had throw over panniers that lasted 3 european tours on my busa with no leaks.

I reckon it's pragmasis poofters or almax arseholes who don't like Oxford.

Folded arms

I bet Oxford don't secure their warehouse with an Oxford lock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fitted the normal premium touring grips to the deauville, paid £45 on eBay, bit annoying considering how cheap these recent advanced ones have been! The wiring is all tucked under the tank behind the frame, so they shouldn't get wet anyway.

I cut off the battery terminals and fuse, then stuck some uninsulated bullet connectors on. They are wired to my relay now so it's impossible to leave them on. I don't trust the auto off feature.

Downside appears to be that I don't have the memory functionality.

Heat wise they are pretty good. I had thick gloves on this morning as the muffs haven't been fitted yet, tonight's job maybe, they kept me toasty, knocked it down from 100% to 75%, then down to 50% as my gloves got warmed through.

Decent Thumbs Up

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of heated grips... I want a set now.

I've had the muffs on the ZZR1100 for a couple of weeks and the turning circle is now laughable, once moving steering is fine obviously.

But I still get chilly fingers, it's because I'm a skinny lanky ginger who can't keep his body temperature up in the 60 + mph at 2 °C air temp.

These will be lovely. Question for muffs users, do you mount the controller outside the muffs or within somewhere? I've got clip ons with no spare space between the grip, lever and mastercylinder on each so, how do you do it?

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:45 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

freezing hands this morning, any links for a good price on the sports advanced? if not will just buy from SBS

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
All this talk of heated grips... I want a set now.

I've had the muffs on the ZZR1100 for a couple of weeks and the turning circle is now laughable, once moving steering is fine obviously.

But I still get chilly fingers, it's because I'm a skinny lanky ginger who can't keep his body temperature up in the 60 + mph at 2 °C air temp.

These will be lovely. Question for muffs users, do you mount the controller outside the muffs or within somewhere? I've got clip ons with no spare space between the grip, lever and mastercylinder on each so, how do you do it?

I had muffs on the deauville last year, I chose to remount the heated grips controller outside of the muffs, as the old controller was a clamp fit and would end up inaccessible with the muffs. These new Oxford ones, I've mounted the controller to the clutch lever clamp bolts, so I'm hoping they will go under the muffs easily and still be accessible.

If they aren't I'll have to play around a bit and move it outside.

As for turning circle, I feel you there, I have a bit of manual handling to get my Deauville back into my gate, I push it in backwards once I've turned it around, to make the mornings less difficult. With muffs I can't get an easy angle for my wrists to push the bike around easily. But you get used to it, it's only a few months!

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasons for disliking the oxford grips..

The Advertised low battery cut off, did not cut off. Flat battery. Make sure it is connected on a switched live/relay. They may have dropped that feature claim now?
Several flat batteries and bump starting caused regulator to fail.
Controller is not waterproof. Switches take about a year to rot and die.
Controller requires you to look at led's which can be difficult to see, and remove hands from the muffs.
Rubber turns to shit. You can cut it off and slide another grip over the heater, but its a bodge, although that did take a couple of years.
Waterproof connectors are irrelevant, that part never failed, but they advertise it as a usp, knowing that controllers commonly fail.

There is no innovation or feature to make this an 80 quid product. There is no advantage over R&G or anything else. Paying for a brand, a shit brand. Sooo much profit on a rubbish product, couple quid to manufacture.

The £10 chinese ones are better, other than grip glue needs to be pre-emptively replaced. Nothing to look at, switch is inside muffs. You also get a new throttle tube, and being splined for easy removal, which I like (but requires bar ends).

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:05 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Controller is not waterproof. Switches take about a year to rot and die.

This has been the wisdom of the net for a while, this generation appears to be pretty good. I've had the same controller on this bike and the last one, outlasted a set of grips and sold the controller that came in my second set to a friend with an older generation controller.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first week with them on has been rather good so far. Warm enough with my old HG pantheon five finger hobbies from about 8 years ago and the grips alone.

It was pissing down yesterday, but of course long term will say if the controller is waterproof or not. It's supposed to be waterproof and sealed, so we will see.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, MCN or running an offer this month on their 12 month subscription, £85 for 51 issues, with a free set of Oxford Heated grips worth £79.99 (rrp)

Not bad if you already get the occasional issue of MCN
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2