Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you get bored of motorcycling?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Do you get bored of motorcycling? Reply with quote

I think I'm in a bit of a bike rut at the moment.

I had set out this year to ride more after having kids and stopping for various reasons, and to a point I did so.

I sold out my zzr and "traded up" to a ducati monster. only a 620 injected one... but it sure was pretty. that turned out to have some gearbox/gear selection/possibly clutch issue that dealer was unwilling to entertain so I rejected it and it went back.

ended up with an injected blackbird all kitted up for touring, just in time for a black forest tour, which was awesome. this was the right bike for the job, and the trip was just bloody lovely.

since then I've done some riding, done some advanced rider training. flirted with the possibility of joining the blood bikes (I already work for the blood service where we screen and process donated blood).

but I'm just lacking wholly in enthusiasm for riding at the moment and haven't ridden for at least a month.

maybe it's the bike. I like it, but it's a bit soulless maybe.

anyone else lost their way a bit? did a different bike bump start your love for it? did you find another solution?

help Thumbs Up

TL:DR... sort of lost the love... how do I get back?

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think about giving it up a while back, the fucking traffic round here is a nightmare the state of the roads and the time spent putting gear on made me consider selling the bike. Crying or Very sad
I sometimes enjoy working on them more than riding.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:27 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a means of transport. Boredom doesn't come into it.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can get OP's point, but are you trying too hard, or just trying to use having a bike as a hobby to fill your time only?

I don't these days class myself as a biker, and I don't class bikes to me as an A-B form of transport either.

Im just interested in old bikes, messing with them, and being wrapped up in nostalgia an maybe some modern day incarnations of back in the day stuff. I'll always have a huge interest in bikes and want to surround myself with them until I die really. Using them though? Yeah maybe here and there and for fun, but I can't ride anything I'm not happy with or havnt really worked on first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do. I'm bored of how much of a pain it is to get the damn bike out to the street. It's such a faff that 9/10 I
just don't bother gong for the ride. Got out twice all summer long. There's no good reason for that, I can't
blame work or kids as I have neither to worry about and my wife doesn't pose an obstacle in any way either. It's
not the bike either, it's a hoot to ride. I just think it's how much I can't be bothered to shift a bunch of stuff to
get the bike out. TBH if I do I just go for the same old 13 mile ride I always go on, get bored and go home again.
So maybe that's a factor as well.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we probably all go through that stage at some point, now don't laugh, but, what got me back really enjoying riding, was my Mash, most of the chatracter of my old Enfield, but, more motorway friendly, and relaiable. For a while before that, I'd had a brand new bike, that corroded really badly in no time at all, and, a crap weather bike, that was, well, crap, and so insanely dull.

It also help, that we've had a couple of winters with decent snowfall, and I like riding in fresh snow especially..

Perhaps you just need to find a bike, with a different feel/character?

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bored of riding, more anxious.

I've had my bike nicked once this year (got it back, did a thread) but live outside of London and have seen a lot of bike jackings and thefts reported around my area via Facebook groups. Over the summer there were a group of people riding around on a stolen Triumph in my village trying to bike jack people (they almost hit my car trying to pull out round a HGV on a blind bend), in the next nearest town people have been surrounded by gangs on stolen scooters and mugged/had their keys swiped/had a knife pulled on them.

I know that statistically the chances are very low but for the first five minutes or so I am anxious to the point where I have just decided not to go out, especially now that it is getting a little cooler it is easy to make excuses to stay in or take the car instead.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Even at -5 on the way to wrok at 05:30 it's a fuckton better than sitting in a cage.

DVLA and Insurance Cartel (sorry 'Arry) enforced absence, I'll not stop now until I can't physically ride one.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No. Even at -5 on the way to wrok at 05:30 it's a fuckton better than sitting in a cage.

Now I can't say I'd ever agree with that. Would I rather be in tee shirt sleeves, mug of coffee in the cupholder,
listening to the news on the DAB, in my climate controlled, quiet, waterproof, windproof car? Or wearing 8
layers of clothes, teeth chattering, visor steaming up, numb fingertips and damp crotch trying to not get knocked off
by the cagers who didn't scrape their windows properly??

In my experience, at 05.30 there's not much traffic on the road so I'd definitely take the car/van.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes in phases, not really bored sometimes, more find other things more appealing to do at the time.
Did about 5k early doors in the summer then it just got too hot to really enjoy it so did other stuff that mainly involved drinking cold beer in pub gardens.
The riding bit isn't the main thing for me, messing with the bikes in winter in the garage is more my bag nowadays. Bored riding? Sometimes, bored with bikes, never.

OGR.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misread the title as masturbating..

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No. Even at -5 on the way to work at 05:30 it's a fuckton better than sitting in a cage.

Now I can't say I'd ever agree with that.

I used to the the same. Spend over a decade off 2 wheels. Then come see how you feel. went for a spin today, because why not. I had to scrape Ice off the seat beforehand. You don't get over it, you just tell yourself you're over it.

On the odd occasion I've had to take a car/van for work purposes, I've hated it.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been meh about riding for a while, especially on the road. I’d rather willy wave about how clever I am fettling and tuning then doing a few thousand boring shit road miles.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike saves me on average an hour and a half a day of sitting in traffic. Can't get that time back so no, biking doesn't bore me at all.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I used to the the same. Spend over a decade off 2 wheels. Then come see how you feel.

I did spend over two decades off of two wheels. Lived on bikes in all weathers through my childhood and teens
but stopped at 19 due to lack of money. Came back to bikes aged 40 and passed the test just before I turned 41. But
despite all of that, if it's less than 10C there's not a chance in hell that I will take the bike out. I like my comfort too
much and don't mind the extra time it takes getting places. As an ex bus driver, I have solemn acceptance of traffic
delays down to a fine art. You have to learn to sagely sigh and get there when you get there, helps that I'm my own boss.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do sometimes get a bit bored with it, but winter is a good time for that to happen if it's going to. Although at the moment, I just can't afford it all.
I combine it with other interests; use the bike to go to places and events that interest me, some to do with bikes, most not.
Touring re-injected the fun of it for me, but now, I feel spoilt by the places I've been, and it's hard to find that same enjoyment on local rides.
Definitely other things are more important to me right now though, but hopefully I'll be in a position to get out on the bike more at some point.
I don't get bored with my current bike though - I'm fortunate enough to have settled on something that is just right for me. I had to go through quite a few bikes over many years to get here though, and trying different bikes was what used to keep it interesting for me. If I had the money, I'd do that again, but without ever selling my current one.

Don't hold up bikes as the be-all and end-all in your life. Always keep other interests that you can go to when you feel like this, and don't feel you have to ride all year round, or even all summer. If biking is an integral part of your life, that'll come naturally, but don't force it if that's not you.

Oh, and moving to the opposite end of the country made it interesting again, and I'm still not familiar with many of the roads and places within reach of a day's riding up here. Bit drastic though!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

99% of my riding is commuting, work dictates that I need to use the car often. If traffic is "normal" the car takes no longer than the bike, once you take in the time to tog up, walk to the garage (it's in a separate block), get the bike out, lock garage back up, and do the untog at the other end. The bike comes into its own on days when traffic is shite, and afternoons where the weather is nice so I come home the long way.

I'd like more bike time to have the luxury of being able to get bored with it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get bored with commuting on the bike. Always quite happy to be riding before and after work. I can't always motivate myself to go for a short ride over a regular route but o get out for quite a few longer runs and like to go exploring or on overnight camps on the bike. That's really where my main interest in it lies so I never get bored with that.

I do have lots of other interests though so I sometimes give them more attention.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't for over 10years had a bike that I expected to do daily trips on from point A-B without any drama or issues. In fact owning a turn key bike that I just have to put petrol in and service it once in a while would really bore the arse off me tbh!

I know that if I had to be at work on shift for a 6am start I'd feel differently, but this concept of starting a journey and knowing your bike will get you to the end destination without any fuss troubles me somewhat now, and in fact most of my riding is just to see if a bike still works after I've messed with it.

Trains are more reliable than my bikes and I accept that and am happy with it!

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of bikes are getting boring to ride, legislation is making them less exciting, best ride I had this year was a sunday to aberdovey on an MV Dragster, properly engaging ride, red hot weather, it was legendary.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Goes in phases, not really bored sometimes, more find other things more appealing to do at the time.
Bored riding? Sometimes, bored with bikes, never.

This, entirely.
It comes and goes in phases. I mot’d the zzr and promptly did 3k in a month going to work on it. Barely been out in three months.
I can’t imagine not having bikes.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:

I can’t imagine not having bikes.

I, unfortunately, can. It ain't pleasant!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Do you get bored of motorcycling? Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
I think I'm in a bit of a bike rut at the moment.

I'm just lacking wholly in enthusiasm for riding at the moment.

anyone else lost their way a bit

I can understand that a bit.
I’ve been to most of the local places/roads around here and you can only go so many times and it starts to get boring.
My friends with bikes have different ideas to me cos we’re all different.
That means we never go out as a group.
Work/time/money means longer trips are few and far between.

Put into that mix, a bike that no longer holds your attention and you can see how someone could lose the love.

Maybe that’s why I have a strange weird taste in bikes, cos im trying to keep the love Smile .

Maybe OP should buy a strange bike that’s out of his usual thinking and go somewhere they’ve never been before.? Or do a track day.
Just an idea.

Dtaylor12345
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very bored of my restricted bike due to the a2 lisence. Not being able rev more than half way pisses u off

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 28 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a time I'd need say tea bags and go off for an hour on the bike and get them
on route instead of walking round the corner to the shop.
Any excuse for a ride.
Recently I've found I enjoy tinkering on my own and other bikes more and walk to shop
so bike off road and stripped for winter refurb.
Will see if grin comes back in the new year.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4