Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

VBSEdit is a nice little editor for vba which will compile your little utilities into .exe files.

Does it create a single .exe, or also a folder with dependencies?
I've used the Windows VBS environment and that compiles with those extras required for distribution.

Single .exe
https://www.vbsedit.com/faq/convertexe.asp

I write utilities in vbscript compile them and then bung them on our utility server for running on schedules.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a web applications developer for like 17+ years.

Started as a hobby, learning html, making terrible black and red websites in the 90s then got asked about doing something with databases and taught myself classic asp.

Learnt pascal and c at college but that consisted of me writing a space invaders game within 2 weeks of starting the course and not bothering to do anything else for the rest of the year.. god i miss college.

I still do some classic as we have some legacy apps here but otherwise I'm fiddling with c#, mvc5+ .net, mssql, angularjs etc..

I do have qualifications in c#, visual studio apps, angularjs but everything else like html, css, javascript (jquery etc), sql, asp, blah blah is self taught.

I always like to learn new things and blazor is actually looking quite interesting. It's basically angular but the MS way using c#. full stack spa using webassembly. Quite cool.

As a job the company I work for writes and maintain a system various fire services (and nuclear plants) use to record all their training & incident recording and development on.

tracks
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:31 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPLAB and LabView.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:36 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:

I always like to learn new things and blazor is actually looking quite interesting. It's basically angular but the MS way using c#. full stack spa using webassembly. Quite cool.

I found out about Blazor a few months ago.

Definitely looking forward to it becoming a thing at the production level.

The first official release was announced very recently: Server-Side Blazor to Ship in .NET Core 3.0

When the client-side version is ready, I foresee a sharp rise in all things C#, all things Dotnet, and a rise in the hype around the "anything that isn't Javascript" mentality.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:47 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Any programmers on BCF? Reply with quote

For a few years now - full L/WAMP stack with JS+JQuery (and some of that for greasemonkey recently) etc.
Also Android, Selenium in Java and a few other bits and pieces.

Separately, need to get back to learning Data Science/Python stuff - and right now I'm doing some C++ for Ardunio.

So definitely a 'master of none' Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 277 days between these two posts...

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:37 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Is Blazor ready for production level stuff?

This side project is way off and not anything that's been officially commissioned so I've gone full retard and loaded up VS2019/.NET Core 3.0 Preview. Blazor running on that is pretty feature complete and I've not had to interop any Javascript hacks yet Smile

I did the same but had to interop a fair few things. This was a few months ago, I dunno how much Blazor has improved since then? When I was using it, a lot of the Razor code had red wiggly underlines, as if to be an error, but it compiled and worked.... The whole system felt very much like a work in progress. The good kind, though!

Quote:

IIRC Blazor was initially compiled to JS? Not sure... anyhoo, now the client-side uses WebAssembly which would make for a slow first page as the browser does the equivalent of downloading .NET Framework to run the code Sad However, this scales well as everything runs in the browser and you'll just have some minimal dataflow to the backend.

I read that the large download size is going to be reduced greatly in time, to make client-side Blazor sites comparable in size to your average HTML/JS website. It was something to do with Microsoft teaming up with the Mono folk. Didn't really look into it too much, I just hope those download sizes can be reduced..!

Quote:

Bonus with server-side: all the debugging is in VS! And no care what browser they have: it either works or it doesn't and it'll look pretty consistent on almost anything. And as mentioned before: no one peeking at your JS and stealing all your ideas Wink

The thing about server side is that it removes the joy of it being a proper SPA (unless I'm missing something?).

One thing I don't get about server side is: What does the user receive when they load a page? Web Assembly? Same as client-side but only loads things bit by bit? What are page download sizes like?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
One thing I don't get about server side is: What does the user receive when they load a page? Web Assembly? Same as client-side but only loads things bit by bit? What are page download sizes like?

The browser loads a "Server-Side Client" of sorts and this maintains a Signal R connection to the server. Regardless of whether anything is actually happening on the web page you're eyeballing if you interrupt this Signal R connection (e.g. pause the program in VS) you'll eventually get a "Loading, please wait..." type thing on the browser.

TBH I haven't looked too much into the voodoo behind it but it seems to send the absolute bare minimum to render a page. I like it mainly because I can debug everything in VS which suits a pile of chaotic ideas thrown together...

At the moment my program mashes up raw TCP sockets to an old legacy service, XML messages to a more "modern" service, JSON requests over websockets to a cloud service and pulls in data from a SQL server... oh yeah, and renders web pages Very Happy So a complete mess!

Eventually though I may do it all as client side: the target audience are going to be wandering about, taking orders from punters. They may dip in and out of WiFi range from time to time. Be nice if they only need a live connection when they literally hit "Send Order."

Personally I like Blazor because "moar C#" so why not but if you went at it cold with no experience of JS/Jquery/Angular/etc. you wouldn't "get" what they were trying for. That and I don't really like JS - but then I'm not an expert on it - whereas I've seen the progress on C# since before version 1.0 and it all seems to be going in the right direction. Certainly I'm a little disappointed when I have to write bog standard version 7.x instead of the upcoming version 8.0 Smile

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

The browser loads a "Server-Side Client" of sorts and this maintains a Signal R connection to the server. Regardless of whether anything is actually happening on the web page you're eyeballing if you interrupt this Signal R connection

Ah, that old chestnut. I remember now. I avoided looking into the Signal R stuff simply because I haven't done it before. Didn't fancy learning two new things at once - Blazor and Signal R - so I went for the client-side option even though Microsoft said it isn't really ready yet.

Sounds like the server-side version of Blazor should be able to do a good job of the SPA thing in most aspects anyway.

Quote:

That and I don't really like JS - but then I'm not an expert on it - whereas I've seen the progress on C# since before version 1.0 and it all seems to be going in the right direction. Certainly I'm a little disappointed when I have to write bog standard version 7.x instead of the upcoming version 8.0 Smile

Yeah I quite like the whole C# ecosystem too. Only been doing it since 6.0 though. I'm glad I chose it as a first programming language to get properly into.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 19 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Ah, that old chestnut. I remember now. I avoided looking into the Signal R stuff simply because I haven't done it before. Didn't fancy learning two new things at once - Blazor and Signal R - so I went for the client-side option even though Microsoft said it isn't really ready yet.

Oh no, server side Blazor uses Signal R but you don't see jack-shit about how it works. Okay, so it's good to be aware of Signal R's strengths and weaknesses but you don't ever get knee-deep in it. Just Blazor away Laughing

A separate note though: Signal R is very handy if you'd like to maintain a live, event driven connection to a web page e.g. server sending out notification updates at random times.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:39 - 20 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

A separate note though: Signal R is very handy if you'd like to maintain a live, event driven connection to a web page e.g. server sending out notification updates at random times.

I presume it's how things like gmail work? And Facebook etc. Real-time notification stuff. I've never had to make anything like that before.

Interesting to know, cheers!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 28 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

News from the rumour mill: Kendo UI is going to have a Blazor version.

BTW SignalR is specifically a Microsoft technology (Apache licence though so free to use) I doubt people like Google would be using it Wink They probably just use WebSockets directly.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 195 days between these two posts...

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing as this has been spammed up to the top of the threads list...

I'm well into my new job now, back in the UK. Really enjoying it so far, if anything just because the commute is less than 10 minutes walk, which is excellent Very Happy

I've been tasked with porting an iOS app over to Xamarin, which is frankly horrible. The project was half-started when I came onboard, and the plan of action has been to use an 'Objective-C to C#' converter and hope for the best with each file (some 150 files in total, all joyously interconnected with each other).

Terrible idea. It should have been a rewrite from the ground up. The converter does nothing more than output 'code that looks like C#', so the results always need copious amounts of debugging and alteration by yours truly. It's an absolute spaghetti minefield cluster fuck of code.

As well as this, I have a guy telling me every day to "try to keep the code looking as much like the iOS project as possible". Anyone who has worked with Objective-C and C#, or has worked on iOS and Xamarin, will know very well that that is the most ridiculous request imaginable in the current circumstances.

Rant over Laughing I still like the job anyway.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 10 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest C# version? If you're on 8 (or at least a late 7) there's just so much elegance in there. Somehow I doubt Objective-C has quite got the pace (in language evolution.)

We chatted about Blazor before but at the moment I've shifted a bit sideways to ASP.NET Core web services and again the fit is just so elegant: the handling of dependency injection and background services.

The nice thing is the main core of the project is something I created for fun just to test Core out: I took an existing "old skool" MVC project and re-imagined it and now it's pulled the rug from under the parent and absolutely killing everything it's tasked to do Smile

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Objective-C is an outdated, verbose mess, I'm absolutely astounded Apple insisted for so long on developers using it to make iOS apps.

I've used C# 8 before, the main differences I noticed were relatively simple, i.e. switch statements and null reference warnings. I'm sure there's a load of other stuff but I'm back to C#7 for the work I'm doing now. No choice there as the project is set up for Net Standard 2.0 and I have no interest in upgrading it quite yet.

I've used Net Core for a lot of web stuff, it's definitely better for web API work. As for Blazor, I started making a Blazor website for a mate, and kind of wish I hadn't. There are niggly things that still just don't work right. Admittedly I haven't put maximum effort into it, but there are a few areas already that I could have fixed much more easily with a bit of Javascript. Perhaps I just got too comfortable using React to make my SPAs. I still trust Blazor will be a big thing at some point.

Entity Framework Core is an improvement too. It properly (or much better) ensures queries are not executed until they have to be, i.e. it much more strictly wants you to use IQueryable types so nothing is instantiated (and memory wasted) until the last moment.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Entity Framework Core is an improvement too. It properly (or much better) ensures queries are not executed until they have to be, i.e. it much more strictly wants you to use IQueryable types so nothing is instantiated (and memory wasted) until the last moment.

Haha! Yes, the laziness of it has caught me out on occasions. And yes, Blazor isn't the solution to everything Smile

Most amusing thing I heard today (just got the API keys etc. for Deliveroo) "Okay, we'll expect to hear again from you in the next 6 weeks for testing..." for one webhook and a couple of POSTs for syncing data?! I think not Very Happy

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 11 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Most amusing thing I heard today (just got the API keys etc. for Deliveroo) "Okay, we'll expect to hear again from you in the next 6 weeks for testing..." for one webhook and a couple of POSTs for syncing data?! I think not Very Happy

I detest payment APIs.

No, actually I detest any API where security is a top priority. So much faffing about with tokens, keys, etc etc etc. Each one has its own annoying process that you have to learn from the ground up each time. My experience is with Wechat, Paypal, Alipay and Stripe. Any of the Google APIs is a pain in the arse too. Navigating the Google Cloud or whatever it's called now is bad enough as it is.

Hell, I don't even like the bog standard social media login APIs. Have you ever had to work with OAuth? I think OAuth 1.0 was okay, but 2.0 changed everything. No more easy Jaascript plugins, it's all being pushed to the server side now where you have to write more and more of the finicky bits yourself. I'm glad I'm not doing any of that at the monent. A welcome break!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 12 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security? You'd think so wouldn't you but authentication of a Deliveroo order is just HMAC SHA256 (obviously my webhook needs to be https) and sync POSTs back are just Basic Authentication (again https.) Of course, the example code for their interpretation of HMAC doesn't match what I'm being sent but hey-ho Smile Then again I'm only dealing with orders; I only get notified whether an order is pre-paid I don't need to process cards and stuff.

In contrast for our own API I went with JWT, refresh tokens and tagging the client IP addresses upon generation. Nice and lightweight. If I wanted something tougher I'd probably dive into Azure's directory services. BTW I much prefer Azure over AWS which is what I last worked with.

<addendum> Talking of payment services all the chip & pin machines are switching over to Android so out goes lugging both tablet + card reader for mobility solutions Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3