Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sell me Android

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Sell me Android Reply with quote

New phone time, had an iPhone 6 for nearly four years now but various things are failing on it, so it’s time to upgrade.
Obvious choice is iPhone 8.
My brother has a Razer Phone and keeps telling me how great it is and I must admit, the battery life alone would be great.

I haven’t had an android phone in a looong time. What am I missing?
I don’t do anything advanced, no gaming longer than the time I spend on the toilet and I’m not running a business through it.

I was recently looking into NFC/RFID chip implants and realised there’s no point getting on with an iPhone. Found out there’s a lot that can be done with these chips, even if it’s not implanted. I haven’t seen anybody that has done anything with them though really.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only morons use iPhones.
Harsh but true.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing you are missing in CHOICE

As in, you can buy an Android phone to suit pretty much any need/budget, unlike iPhone where you get a choice of 2/3 phones, there are literally hundreds of Android phones to choose, so it really comes down to "what do you want" from a new phone

I suppose, it also depends how much you have "invested" in apps and such like to know if it's worth changing, i certainly wouldn't switch operating systems now as i have so many paid apps and devices linked into the whole Android/Google services, it would be costly, and a pain in the back side to make the switch

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Sell me Android Reply with quote

Oh and the New OnePlus 6T has just been released.
I wouldn't spend a penny on another phone without looking at this first, it's quite possibly the best phone for the monies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEMaOUbo1E

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Sell me Android Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Re: Sell me Android
If I have to go to the effort of selling you something, I want monies in return. I think your first port of call is a phoneShop. If shinySuit#3/4 cannot answer questions, don't part with monies.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:35 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Android as a work phone, and an iPhone as a personal phone. I've done this for six years and had Three iPhones during that time, and three different Android phones, with the last two being Samsung Galaxy S8 and A6 respectively. The iPhone is just nicer. Things are easier to do on it, and it just works. The androids seem to crash every so often, doing something that is instant on an iPhone seems to take an age, and I just think the interface is ugly compared to the iPhone.

iPhone for the win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The iPhone is just nicer. Things are easier to do on it, and it just works.

Unless you want to install something like kodi, or copy and paste something, or drag and drop a simple thing like an mp3 onto it.

Yeah that's right, I have to install a bloated itunes and all of its shitware onto my computer, much easier.

Can you explain one thing that is easier on iphone? You know, an actual real word example like I just did?
I was forced to use iphones for work and Jesus they are horrid.

Also, I cant even remember if my Android phones have ever crashed, but then neither have my iPhones.
I have heard they crash twice as much in a study years ago, but then if your iphone crashes once a decade, then I can live with twice a decade.

Probably the reason androids might have this issue is that they can install questionable apps outside of the playstore, which could mean less tested. If you stick to decent apps, I'm pretty sure you're golden.
I'm also quite sure Android has gotten better over the years and not worse, so crashing really isn't a reason to bandy about.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Probably the reason androids might have this issue is that they can install questionable apps outside of the playstore, which could mean less tested. If you stick to decent apps, I'm pretty sure you're golden.
I'm also quite sure Android has gotten better over the years and not worse, so crashing really isn't a reason to bandy about.

I don't think it's questionable apps so much, just some apps in general are not fully tested on all Android platforms, which is understandable, as like i mentioned earlier, there are hundred of handsets, so unlike iPhones, where apps only need to be tested on a handful of devices, Android apps are released with only limited testing

I know my missus used to have issues running the FitBit app on her old Hauwai (sp?) phone, but that was before they were as popular as they are now, her newer Samsung runs it fine

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Only morons use iPhones.

Thank you for that well thought out and logical statement.
Sent from my iPad.

rpsmith79 wrote:
CHOICE ... "what do you want" from a new phone ... how much you have "invested" in apps

What I want, because so many phones are now so equally capable, is currently boiling down to good battery life, a torch and be small enough to fit into my pocket.
The money I have invested in both platforms is negligible, I don’t really buy a lot.

UnknownStuntman wrote:
If I have to go to the effort of selling you something, I want monies in return.

I will give you eight American dollars. Because that’s the monies I currently have.

MarJay wrote:
I have Android as a work phone, and an iPhone as a personal phone. ... The iPhone is just nicer. Things are easier to do on it, and it just works. The androids seem to crash every so often, doing something that is instant on an iPhone seems to take an age, and I just think the interface is ugly compared to the iPhone.

This is basically what it’s boiling down to. Because I’m not using it for super advanced things, I’m not sure I’ll make full use of the additional customisation of Android.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:35 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
MarJay wrote:
The iPhone is just nicer. Things are easier to do on it, and it just works.

Unless you want to install something like kodi, or copy and paste something, or drag and drop a simple thing like an mp3 onto it.

Why would I want to install Kodi on my iPhone? Why would I want to drag and drop an MP3 when all of the music I could ever want is on Spotify?

Placing an app in a group is easier on the iPhone, as is changing most of the settings, triggering app updates, unlocking, Email, texting (you can turn off the predictive text correction, which is pointless for me as I can actually spell and usually when it changes a word it changes it so something I don't want. Android is particularly bad for this).

The concur app on the iPhone allows you to re-size receipts in a 3D way which flattens crumpled receipts nicely. The android version doesn't do that. Admittedly Calimoto on Android doesn't force you to restrict yourself to a small area of the country on the free version, but I've not used it in a while so maybe it's now the same as the iPhone version. I find Bluetooth pairing easier on the iPhone.

You just use it and it works. If you want to hack it, have four different home screens that all randomly seem to shuffle around in four planes, if you want to use some Android only apps, then use Android. If not, use an iPhone. It's just nicer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Why would I want to install Kodi on my iPhone? Why would I want to drag and drop an MP3 when all of the music I could ever want is on Spotify?

Placing an app in a group is easier on the iPhone, as is changing most of the settings, triggering app updates, unlocking, Email, texting (you can turn off the predictive text correction, which is pointless for me as I can actually spell and usually when it changes a word it changes it so something I don't want. Android is particularly bad for this).

The concur app on the iPhone allows you to re-size receipts in a 3D way which flattens crumpled receipts nicely. The android version doesn't do that. Admittedly Calimoto on Android doesn't force you to restrict yourself to a small area of the country on the free version, but I've not used it in a while so maybe it's now the same as the iPhone version. I find Bluetooth pairing easier on the iPhone.

You just use it and it works. If you want to hack it, have four different home screens that all randomly seem to shuffle around in four planes, if you want to use some Android only apps, then use Android. If not, use an iPhone. It's just nicer.

Hmm, so much wrong with all of what you say.
I wont even bother.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Pro: I spend some time setting up my text replacement to include my favourite swear works, so my phone will now autocorrect ducking to fucking, rather than the other way round.

Con: I never want/need to connect my phone to WiFi, so I get a notification once a week saying “your iPhone has not been backed up in # weeks” because I’m not trusted to use mobile data for backups.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:02 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Hmm, so much wrong with all of what you say.
I wont even bother.

I second what Marjay says here - these are my feelings on it exactly.

iphones just work better.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
I second what Marjay says here - these are my feelings on it exactly.

iphones just work better.

Ok here goes, so grouping apps on Android is just dragging one icon over the other and they are grouped. That's hard.

Chainging settings: Same thing on both phones, go into settings and change what ever it is you want to change. Android are known for being more customiseable, so maybe the depth of changes are scary?

Triggering app updates: Auto update. That's hard.

Unlocking: ? I have facial recognition or fingerprint or pin unlock. I don't see how this is easier or harder on either.

Email: Wut? I just open hotmail/Gmail app and email.

Texting: It's widely known that Swiftkey is the king here. You can turn off auto correct, you can make it learn, you can do pretty much anything you desire in texting on Android. Not an issue.

I have no idea about the concur app, I will take his word that Apple one is best.

Bluetooth Pairing: Same steps on both, with no issues. I have never known anyone to suggest Android bluetooth pairing is a problem or hard. I pair in seconds and pairing lasts forever, or until I remove it.

Yes the apps are customisable on the home screens for Android, I dont see this as a negative, you can just leave it to default and have it like Apple does. You can however choose to put your most used apps on the hope screen for ease.

I still dont see how iphones 'just work better'.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most purchasing behaviours are driven subconsciously based on emotion.

The fact that you are asking random strangers on the internet to convince you otherwise should give you the answer you need.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdFXddVsUuQ&t

Someone that actually knows what he is talking about.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Android dominates the market with a whopping 87%, while iOS comes at a distant second at 12%.

87% of people can't be wrong..............

................just like 52% of Britons can't be wrong, just ask BNP72 Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life. Android. HTH.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:21 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if an iPhone could be had as cheaply as an android, everyone would have an iPhone, apart from the weird people who would have stubbornly stuck with Windows phone, Blackberry or Symbian.

They are expensive, and whether they are worth the money is subjective, but I like my iPhone more than my android phones. I can honestly say I would not have an android phone as a personal phone.

The home screen on Android is a nightmare, and it's easy to lose apps that you've moved because there isn't a consistent way of getting back to the same screen. You need to swipe left then down to get to one of the pages, and if you swipe down then left it doesn't seem to get you to the same place. The iPhone just has left and right movements and when you leave an app somewhere it stays there. There is also the whole 'remove icon' without uninstalling the app deal, and then you find you've not uninstalled the app you wanted but just deleted a symbolic link like a Linux machine.

I just don't like Android and I don't think I'll be convinced differently. I actively chose Android for my last work phone, and then regretted it pretty much immediately. The only advantage it gave me was the simple differentiation between my work and personal handsets.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I think if an iPhone could be had as cheaply as an android, everyone would have an iPhone

Galaxy S9 is from £739
Huawei Mate 20 Pro is from £899

Do you think these owners want an iphone?

MarJay wrote:
The home screen on Android is a nightmare, and it's easy to lose apps that you've moved because there isn't a consistent way of getting back to the same screen

All apps are resident in the apps section. If you cant organise a few apps on the home screen, then yes, maybe a simple phone that doesnt allow you to customise it is best for you.

MarJay wrote:
You need to swipe left then down to get to one of the pages, and if you swipe down then left it doesn't seem to get you to the same place

You can make everything left to right, as I have done.

MarJay wrote:
I just don't like Android and I don't think I'll be convinced differently.

Yes, you seem not to be able to get to grips with basic customisation, let alone the more advanced options that Android has to offer.

Pjay wrote:
Only morons use iPhones.

QFT

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:05 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a very technical field. I spend my days configuring complex systems. I'd rather not have to do it on my phone too.

My Galaxy S8 when it was brand new cost a tenner. I couldn't get an iPhone for a tenner even with the same contract. Nobody pays full price for a phone. Someone subsidises Android phones, nobody does that for iPhones to the same extent. There is a reason for that, people want iPhones. An Android is just a runner up, a backup plan.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I work in a very technical field. I spend my days configuring complex systems. I'd rather not have to do it on my phone too.

My Galaxy S8 when it was brand new cost a tenner. I couldn't get an iPhone for a tenner even with the same contract. Nobody pays full price for a phone. Someone subsidises Android phones, nobody does that for iPhones to the same extent. There is a reason for that, people want iPhones. An Android is just a runner up, a backup plan.

The Galaxy S8 Edge was £10 more expensive on launch than the flagship Apple iPhone.

You are talking bollocks.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
New phone time, had an iPhone 6 for nearly four years now but various things are failing on it, so it’s time to upgrade.
Obvious choice is iPhone 8.
My brother has a Razer Phone and keeps telling me how great it is and I must admit, the battery life alone would be great.

I haven’t had an android phone in a looong time. What am I missing?
I don’t do anything advanced, no gaming longer than the time I spend on the toilet and I’m not running a business through it.

I was recently looking into NFC/RFID chip implants and realised there’s no point getting on with an iPhone. Found out there’s a lot that can be done with these chips, even if it’s not implanted. I haven’t seen anybody that has done anything with them though really.

I'm a big fan of android, I hate iphones.

If you use and like iphone, get an iphone. New iphone will have good battery life too. Expensive though.

The big advantages of android used to be SD Card and removable battery, but the latter has been removed to increase sales. Using Android makes you appear more technically competent, so if you work in that sort of area Android might be a good idea. Similarly if you are a pop or movie star, or perhaps a homosexual, then iphone is a good accessory to have.

I think you should stick with iphone, just get a cheaper one.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Erm...... i do, and have done for the past 8 years, i hate having to buy phones on contracts, and being stuck with them until the contract expires, so i go with PAYG (currently with EE and paying a tenner a month), and buy my phones outright whenever i choose

And no, your brand new phone didn't cost a tenner, you just spread the cost of it over whatever contract period you took out, and paid a tenner upfront

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:25 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective, I like having a back button and a menu button and a home button.

I tried using an iPhone, I wanted to go back a step.. couldn't figure out that I had to drag down or up to go back, soft button works better.

I want to disable data, drag down, click mobile data.
GPS, same.
NFC, same.

I know iOS has got a bit better since iOS9, but the flexibility of my OnePlus6 is far beyond what I achieved on an iPhone 8. By a very very long way.

I've got 2 day battery life, sub 30 min charging, instant USB access, double SIM, actual debug modes that are usable and adjustable resolution for different apps. That and its fucking fast.

Its a preference thing, I use OSX as my daily machine, so I don't dislike apple, I just dislike the fact my mobile device that costs £450 is far more usable and open than one thats double the cost, but people are reliant on using an iPhone because its easier.... but again, its preference but feels like you are paying to be at a disadvantage :\

But yes, I buy outright, getting a loan on a device is just silly, my contract is £14 a month for everything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4