Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
yada yada yada
iphones just work better.

No they don't, they realllllly don't, I relented and paid the idiot tax so my daughter could have an i(diot)phone. I've tried usiing it, and I detest it with a passion, if I was to use it for work, productivity would be abysmal, but at least I'd be being paid for the time I was using it to do something simple, in my own time, not worth my time, effort or hassle

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an iPhone is like putting a child lock on things.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this is basically boiling down to both being the same, just personal preference. A lot of the issues people seem to be experienced may just be lack of familiarity.

Is there anything that I can do with an android phone that I can’t do with an iPhone?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:35 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would depend what you are wanting to do with the phone. I need mine to amend GPS at will, switch between data cards and let me confirm and fuck around with tools on the go.

It needs to do that and have battery life, android is the way.

If you are watching YouTube vids, using WhatsApp and general phone then an iPhone is fine. Overpriced for the use but fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Windows Phones since 2012. Embarassed

Bought an Android phone last month. I really, really, ought to have got one sooner. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I feel like this is basically boiling down to both being the same, just personal preference. A lot of the issues people seem to be experienced may just be lack of familiarity.

Is there anything that I can do with an android phone that I can’t do with an iPhone?

Android has a back button. It's like adding a mouse to a computer.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the back button when I have to do stuff to my wife’s iPhone when it’s not “just working”.

Horses for courses, I don’t want an iPhone simple cos they are common, I prefer the screens on my Samsung’s (didn’t really get along with my HTC) and they tend to cost less, in my opinion anyway.

I don’t dislike iOS, I prefer an iPad to an android tablet.

Android suffers like windows, they don’t control the hardware so it’s installed on shit but expected to be flagship quality.

I can’t see me moving back to a iPhone, not until it’s different enough from my iPhone 4.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
The biggest thing you are missing in CHOICE

As in, you can buy an Android phone to suit pretty much any need/budget, unlike iPhone where you get a choice of 2/3 phones, there are literally hundreds of Android phones to choose, so it really comes down to "what do you want" from a new phone

I suppose, it also depends how much you have "invested" in apps and such like to know if it's worth changing, i certainly wouldn't switch operating systems now as i have so many paid apps and devices linked into the whole Android/Google services, it would be costly, and a pain in the back side to make the switch

both my wife and I have had numerous problems with android phones of low and mid budget running out of memory very easily, despite not having many apps and ensuring photos etc go on a memory card.

£150 for a pristine iPhone SE 32gb has resolved the issue for the wife - we'd have had to have paid far more than that for the same amount of memory on android.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
The biggest thing you are missing in CHOICE

As in, you can buy an Android phone to suit pretty much any need/budget, unlike iPhone where you get a choice of 2/3 phones, there are literally hundreds of Android phones to choose, so it really comes down to "what do you want" from a new phone

I suppose, it also depends how much you have "invested" in apps and such like to know if it's worth changing, i certainly wouldn't switch operating systems now as i have so many paid apps and devices linked into the whole Android/Google services, it would be costly, and a pain in the back side to make the switch

both my wife and I have had numerous problems with android phones of low and mid budget running out of memory very easily, despite not having many apps and ensuring photos etc go on a memory card.

£150 for a pristine iPhone SE 32gb has resolved the issue for the wife - we'd have had to have paid far more than that for the same amount of memory on android.

You can get a brand new Motorola G6 Play for that - dual SIM too.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
dydey90 wrote:

Android has a back button. It's like adding a mouse to a computer.

And left, right, up, down keys in Swiftkey - who'd have thought you might want to move the cursor around in your text?

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We let staff have the choice of iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.

The only hardware failures we've had have been a volume key not working on an iPhone and a usb socket being broken on a Galaxy.

We've had to replace batteries more often in iPhones.

Both phones just work. iPhone is no easier.
In fact I'd say iPhone is harder because you need to use iTunes to do things. With the Samsungs you don't need to install anything on your pc.

I do like the lightning connector for charging, in that you can insert it any way round.

I don't like that the iPhones don't have a headphone jack - not everyone wants to listen to music via bluetooth.

Android phones are also handy if you want to use two numbers (SIMs) in one phone.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

And left, right, up, down keys in Swiftkey - who'd have thought you might want to move the cursor around in your text?

In Android you can also tap at the point in the text you want the cursor to appear, you don't have to use the arrows. If you long press on a word you can select text, and you can drag the selection left and right to cover blocks of text Smile

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

Carry on using it after Apple have decided it's time for you to give them more money and add to the mega-mountain of perfectly good scrapped phones?

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler: ordered the iPhone.

Decided it’s not worth having to go through the whole re-adaptation process on the strength of a back button.

The 6 has lasted for four years, which is longer than any phone since my Motorola Razr.
At least I don’t have to try to justify having that pointless notch in the screen, which is the way everything seems to be going.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
I do like the lightning connector for charging, in that you can insert it any way round.

Newer Android phones are USB-C now, which can be inserted either way around.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

yes, and it's something that bugs me intensely when using my (free from work) Ipad. You can't place apps where you want them on the screen, they always 'ladder; from top left. Whereas on my Motorola G6 play (which cost £125 or so) I can place them exactly where I want.

Oh and said Motorola comes with 32gb memory plus a micro SD socket with can be directly piggy backed onto the phone memory so with a 32gb card I now have a 64gb phone with a 2 day battery life for around £140.

Happy days Thumbs Up

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy and Paste, try doing such a simple thing on an iPhone.

Good lord, it's 2018.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Unless you want to install something like kodi, or copy and paste something, or drag and drop a simple thing like an mp3 onto it.

You can actually install Kodi, its just complicated and expires after a week if you don't have a developer account Brick Wall Do you mean copying and pasting text? You can its just they've made it really f'ing clunky (in recent iOS versions) for some reason.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
The big advantages of android used to be SD Card and removable battery, but the latter has been removed to increase sales.

And the former with some models. I think Google were one of the first (at least my Nexus didn't have a SD slot), I had a mini panic when I got my oneplus, realised it didn't have one either, then checked and I had ordered the 64GB model so it was alright Smile

Paddy. wrote:
I know iOS has got a bit better since iOS9

I'd disagree on that. iOS 8 was slick, could do neat things like stream to my TV via Kodi, and up until 8.3 (iirc) you actually had sandbox access so could backup stuff. My iPhone 5 from 2012 is still on iOS 8 and still running brilliantly. Every Android device purchased has long since died, even flagship Samsung models.

My opinion hasn't changed, Android but go for a cheap(er) model. Apple have killed their devices with their recent versions of iOS IMO. If it wasn't for all the cracked music apps my iPad would be a paper weight right now Very Happy

As I've probably upset both Apple and Android fanboys I'll go now Thumbs Up

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:43 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

I just found that out on our Galaxy S9s Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:

Now that is first world problems Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Now that is first world problems Laughing

The most amusing thing is that the drive to standardise phone chargers, an EU idea which lets be honest is a great idea, won't be adopted by Apple, because then they won't be able to charge the earth for a glorified USB lead Laughing

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
The most amusing thing is that the drive to standardise phone chargers, an EU idea which lets be honest is a great idea, won't be adopted by Apple, because then they won't be able to charge the earth for a glorified USB lead Laughing

It seems Apple is going USB-C. It's about time they did something like this. Using non standard connections is pretty poor for the consumer.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember they had vaguely tangible reasons for their connectors, I know the lightning one is for the size. Not sure about the old 15 pin standard but when they started using that everybody had their own connector until the mini-usb came out.

It would be nice if everything could use the same charger, even if it’s wireless.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:03 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

The new Ipad announced on the 30th October is USB C

And you can copy and paste on apple devices...

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EU is a regulatory body, it makes regulations.

EU makes regulation on...

Pjay wrote:

It seems Apple is going USB-C. It's about time they did something like this. Using non standard connections is pretty poor for the consumer.

Only now that most accessories are bluetooth Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4