Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lexmoto Adrenaline EFI fuel breather

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Lexmoto Adrenaline EFI fuel breather Reply with quote

Good day fellow bikers,

I have a 67 plate lex adrenaline EFI and i was advised the fuel breather inside the tank had snapped off? The bike runs perfectly fine but when over half a tank the fuel floods the breather.
Apparently this is a fairly common problem with the EFI model. I've looked into purchasing a new tank for Lexmoto directly for just over £100 assuming this would fix the issues.

Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics of the offending part?
I'd want to remove the tank and examine it before spending any dosh.
If its a common fault/weakness there may be a DIY repair and/or beefing up job you can do to prevent it happening again

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have pictures right now, its inside the tank i believe it used to be a tube that came up, now is just a hole in the tank.
The DIY is open the tank up and reweld from what i've head but i cant find much on it online forums.
I've seen some chat in Owners groups on facebook
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:48 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect getting someone willing to reweld a fuel tank will probably end up costing more than a new tank all told, so it's a bit of a no brainer. If the repair is less likely to go wrong than a new tank, and the repair cost is identical to that of a new tank then I'd probably consider it.

However, as alluded to above, finding someone willing to weld a fuel tank will be difficult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a pic from Ebay
It's some thing I'd have go at fixing with JB weld
Do you have the pipe?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IKsAAOSwPfBb058a/s-l1600.jpg

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have the pipe and id have no idea where it was supposed to be on the inside of the tank let alone be comfortable opening op the tank and resealing it Laughing Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the breather, that bent tube in the middle? If so, I don't understand what the OP meant by "it's snapped off" and "it used to be a tube that came up, now is just a hole in the tank".

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i dont know what it looked like before this fault occurred, if anyone has the EFI and could compare that would be great. When i look into my tank i just see a hole in the middle i was advised that there was supposed to be a fuel breather there. I never had any reason to look inside of my tank before this issue Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:
To be honest i dont know what it looked like before this fault occurred, if anyone has the EFI and could compare that would be great. When i look into my tank i just see a hole in the middle i was advised that there was supposed to be a fuel breather there. I never had any reason to look inside of my tank before this issue Very Happy

Hole? What hole? Where you put the petrol in, or what?

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Calumh96 wrote:

Hole? What hole? Where you put the petrol in, or what?

a hole on the inside of the tank obviously. On the higher end of the tank there is a hole which supposedly had a "fuel breather" there previously. Unfortunately i've never seen inside the tank of a EFI before so i dont know what it previously looked like.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they get broken cos bad design and folk clout them with filler nozzles?

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ive spoken to someone with the same bike who had the same fault and this was his description
"it's a totally shit design it is a copper pipe that comes up near the filler cap. It is very easy to Catch with the fuel pump if you go in to far"

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH ha! so my theory was right then

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:
so ive spoken to someone with the same bike who had the same fault and this was his description
"it's a totally shit design it is a copper pipe that comes up near the filler cap. It is very easy to Catch with the fuel pump if you go in to far"

Surely it should just bend?

Looking at the pic. that Mr Forte posted, I might be inclined to push a piece of nylon tube up the pipe shown on the upside-down tank, so that it goes up to where it should go, securing it by smearing the sides with "Araldite" or similar, cutting it off at the outside end of the copper tube, and sliding whatever flexible pipe that goes on, back on.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

If it's a copper pipe, it will be brazed or soldered in, no welding required. So it's snip, purge, drill, replace with a bit of brake pipe or something (or shove plastic up it and stick it).

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

If it's a copper pipe, it will be brazed or soldered in, no welding required. So it's snip, purge, drill, replace with a bit of brake pipe or something (or shove plastic up it and stick it).

Yep, I'd use JBWeld and copper brake pipe routed out of harms way.
It seems beyond OPs skill set though and if he buys a new tank
it will still have the same design fault and be prone to the same failing

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see how it could be bodge job repaired but the issue is still opening up the tank to do so thats where i wouldn't be comfortable

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So get your bit of Nylon tube, get tank off, empty, push tube up through the cleaned (inside!) remaining stub of tube on bottom, when about 2.5cm to go, smear the sides of the exposed nylon tube with Araldite, continue to feed the tube in ensuring Araldite is continuously drawn into the metal tube as the Nylon one feeds in, allow to set, snip off Nylon tube, reassemble.

Or take it to someone who can braze a new piece of pipe in (ask for an estimate of cost first!), or buy a new/2-hand tank.

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:08 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
So get your bit of Nylon tube, get tank off, empty, push tube up through the cleaned (inside!) remaining stub of tube on bottom, when about 2.5cm to go, smear the sides of the exposed nylon tube with Araldite, continue to feed the tube in ensuring Araldite is continuously drawn into the metal tube as the Nylon one feeds in, allow to set, snip off Nylon tube, reassemble.

Or take it to someone who can braze a new piece of pipe in (ask for an estimate of cost first!), or buy a new/2-hand tank.

I've made the choice, i will order a new tank and attempt the repair once i have the new tank for educational purposes Embarassed

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Lexmoto sent me a new tank for the old model Neutral
Curiosity killed the cat and i took my old tank off to get the snapped part out. Photos linked below. Unfortunately due to the angle there's no way to form a repair that doesn't involve splitting the tank open.

https://imgur.com/a/ZWSXEqg

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:
Curiosity killed the cat and i took my old tank off to get the snapped part out. Photos linked below. Unfortunately due to the angle there's no way to form a repair that doesn't involve splitting the tank open.

But that copper tube does look as though you could get a bit of bendy nylon tube up it....

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Calumh96 wrote:

But that copper tube does look as though you could get a bit of bendy nylon tube up it....

The underside of that is a long curved tube but its much thinner, where would i run the nylon tube to anyway?

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:14 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fitted my new tank now and am moving on with life.

For those who have this issue i have heard that other people who have snapped this have just blocked the hole in the tank completely and seem to ride just fine.

I'm not sure what long term damage this would cause i'd assume the breather is there for a reason.

misscrabstick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:51 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure it is an actual breather, I suspect it's a drain for the area around the outside of the filler cap, it's purpose being to drain away rainwater and fuel spillage.

Blocking it from underneath would simply mean a danger of rainwater buildup getting into the tank when you open the filler cap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 157 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1