Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stands for enduro/sm?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 30 Oct 2018    Post subject: Stands for enduro/sm? Reply with quote

Hi all,
Ive been struggling with a pair of old stands for years , some bikes theyre great on, others sh*t.
So, recommendations for something suitable for the tdr125 plz?
One of them lifts that lift it up from under engine? (Hydraulic?)
Or any other suggestions?
Doing a full strip down so a decent stand would help.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:39 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Stands for enduro/sm? Reply with quote

I've got a cheapish scissor lift stand like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132789568757
They are heavy and a bit cumbersome. Also your bike is only a little lower than the max rating.

But does get it nice and high and is reasonably sturdy. (But at max height, not as good as it could be.)

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Stands for enduro/sm? Reply with quote

G wrote:
I've got a cheapish scissor lift stand like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132789568757
They are heavy and a bit cumbersome. Also your bike is only a little lower than the max rating.

But does get it nice and high and is reasonably sturdy. (But at max height, not as good as it could be.)

Hi,
Thats the kinda thing i was considering.
Are they sturdy enough?
I know ma wee tdr is only a 125 but its quite heavy, for what it is.
Id hate to have it fall on me Shocked

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:00 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Re: Stands for enduro/sm? Reply with quote

You are meant to strap the bike on to hold it in place.
I've had my KTM690 on mine. It did struggle a bit with that, but was okay. Wasn't going to fall over on the stand and did manage me clambering over the bike too - though of course if you take the complete front end off, then add some extra weight on the back you might have problems, but be sensible and you should be okay.

Nice also that as it's on wheels, if you've got a smooth floor you can slide it out of the way sideways etc.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of them cheap £20 pedal lift stands. Its ok for the job but not of fantastic quality. It did used to lift my Dad's DRZ400SM ok, so it shouldn't have any problems with a lighter bike like mine.

I do see why the high rise scissor lift things that G linked could be useful though. I tend to remove one wheel or end of the bike at a time, but when I had both wheels out I had a milk crate at each end with a plank on top and this did the job ok, if not ideal.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I've got one of them cheap £20 pedal lift stands. Its ok for the job but not of fantastic quality. It did used to lift my Dad's DRZ400SM ok, so it shouldn't have any problems with a lighter bike like mine.

I do see why the high rise scissor lift things that G linked could be useful though. I tend to remove one wheel or end of the bike at a time, but when I had both wheels out I had a milk crate at each end with a plank on top and this did the job ok, if not ideal.

Hi,
You got a link or a pic?

cheers,
GAZ

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look for a JIB (jack in box) stand on ebay, you should find a suitable one. Most have a loading weight on box. I had a ccm 644 on mine and a klx 450, your tdr should be fine.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 02 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=380977603899&category=179733&pm=1&ds=0&t=1543431381000&ver=0

Mine looks like this, but they are often sold cheaper at bike shows or at MX race events etc. Some of them have a decent load capacity too.

Only thing is they aren't adjustable, just up or down for sliding under the bike. It lifts the wheels about 4" off the floor on my KMX, which is ok for working on, though a full bike restoration instead of maintenance work would benefit from a sizzor lift stand like the type that G linked.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 05 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful that the clearance of your bike is sufficient to wedge a pedal type lift stand beneath it. I have one and it isn't. Iow, my KLX is too low (!). So I have to back it up the kids' little plastic bmx ramp then waggle it under with my foot whilst I keep the front brake on with my right hand. It's a faff but one of those things you adjust to and end up being able to do in your sleep. I did think about modifying the stand but it's actually quite bloody difficult when you come to plan what to do.

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/workshop__and__tools/bike_stands/drc_bike_stands/drc_wide_black_lift_bike_stand?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqS36s6J3wIVh7TtCh350g7OEAQYASABEgIDlvD_BwE

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Be careful that the clearance of your bike is sufficient to wedge a pedal type lift stand beneath it. I have one and it isn't. Iow, my KLX is too low (!). So I have to back it up the kids' little plastic bmx ramp then waggle it under with my foot whilst I keep the front brake on with my right hand. It's a faff but one of those things you adjust to and end up being able to do in your sleep. I did think about modifying the stand but it's actually quite bloody difficult when you come to plan what to do.

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/workshop__and__tools/bike_stands/drc_bike_stands/drc_wide_black_lift_bike_stand?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyqS36s6J3wIVh7TtCh350g7OEAQYASABEgIDlvD_BwE

Hi,
How low does this stand go?
Bike weighs 130kg btw but not sure of how much clearance I have, I'll measure tomorrow hopefully.
Edit: looking through ebay they all seem to have a lowest height of 29cm-32cm, here's hoping or I'm using car jack then stand.
Cheers,
GAZ

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think 95% of the stands will be quite low enough. My CRM250 went up on my current stand no problem - slid it underneath with about 20mm to spare. Same stand won't go under KLX250 - even though it feels taller!

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:23 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the SM wheels on the 690 (138kg + fuel before the extras I've got on it) I'd generally have to lift the bike on to it - rest against my leg and lift the rear up.
With cheap stands and heavier bikes I've sometimes found it's easier to do this with the stand already locked up than lift the bike with the stand. (Especially when the cheap stand lost it's roller - I had to stand on the stand lever while pulling the KTM up.)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 102 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1