Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CAR NOT BIKE break pad sensor workarounds

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:10 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: CAR NOT BIKE break pad sensor workarounds Reply with quote

I've got a ghastly 2004 Polo. Long ago the brake pad wear sensor at the front was removed and the wires cut and twisted together. I think there's a break in this wiring further up after it meets the ABS sensor wiring at a moulded junction. If the cable trunking is disturbed (a full turn of the steering wheel to the right consistently triggers this) then it trips the pad wear warning light and associated buzzer. Any ideas on how I can stop this false positive as it's really annoying?

ABS and emergency brake assist work fine.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a wee while since I did pad sensors but do they not work like this: Pad wears down and reaches the sensor. This (somehow) completes a circuit and sets warnings off??
Pads I've done in the past always only had one wire going to them. Once worn, it reached the disc which is ground in a car and completed a simple circuit.
Obviously modern cars might be different.

Edit: Just realised you mentioned wires twisted together. You sure those are from the pad wear sensor?? If there's more than one wire is that not the ABS sensor wire??

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On some German makes there's a wire embedded in the pad, when it wears through the circuit goes open and the braking system controller throws a warning.

This can sometimes be bypassed by disabling the pad wear warning in the ECU.

The trick applied here seems to be to permanently complete the circuit by shorting it, which is a bodge. Best resolution would be replace the sensor wire and fit oem pads.

Second best is to replace the worn wiring and short it out again, or short it further up where the wire is not broken.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW sensors are in the pads, current pads are pattern and have no sensors.

But the problem is that the cabling leading upto the pad is damaged somewhere. The ABS sensor is connected and appears to work.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:35 - 31 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:

But the problem is that the cabling leading upto the pad is damaged somewhere. The ABS sensor is connected and appears to work.

Theeres a repair loom available from VW, it splices in to the loom up under the scuttle somewhere, if your handy with a soldering iron and heatshrink it's not too hard.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:

Theeres a repair loom available from VW, it splices in to the loom up under the scuttle somewhere, if your handy with a soldering iron and heatshrink it's not too hard.

This, follow the wiring up, when you reach the big grommet carefully remove it,
You will then find a plug and socket, this is where you join the wires, if you look at the bottom of the loom close to where the pad plugs in, this will tell you what colours to join, if after you have the abs light on, then you know you got it wrong lol

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Is this available online somewhere or do i have to find a friendly vw service agent or suchlike?

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just find someone local with vcds to change the dash coding, if not then just connect the 2 wires together under the scuttle where they come thru.
If your anywhere near me I'll plug in and deactivate it for you, sy84ad ..
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:26 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:

The sensors plugs into the little recess at the top of the pad. Just buy another. You can fit them without even needing to remove the pads.

There's no way the pattern pads are designed so you have no place to plug in a sensor. A pad wear sensor light not coming on and going off again will be an MOT fail. I'd be surprised if shorting the sensor wires off will pass visible inspection now.

You're wrong, the wires are embedded in the pads. the pattern pads he has probably did come with seperate sensors but the person who fitted them threw them away .and it's irrelevant, as the problem is with the wiring on the car

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 04 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the sensor on the pad, that's gone as is the connector on the section of wiring loom it connects to, it's been cut short and shorted. Looks like i'm tracing the wire back. it resets when I turn the car off, but comes back on with steering lock.

Looks like a wire tracing job.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:48 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to fix the problem, not bodge it. This is such a cheap fix, why not just fix it?

You're not reading the thread properly.

The problem is that the plug (on the car wiring loom) that the sensor joins to is broken, this is common on VAG cars, even if the pad sensor wire was present there would be no way to attach it to the car.

why would someone throw a sensor sire away (or cut it off the pad)...
Because the was no way to attach it to the car and they didn't want it flapping loose? and how would i know? because he said it's not there Rolling Eyes

I already posted the correct fix, which is to replace the wiring loom for the sensor and abs sensor with a repair loom from VW which isn't a bodge.

Also The light doesn't need to illuminate for the mot it just has to not be on.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:44 - 05 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Fair enough. Worth doing properly.

Are the warning lights not supposed to be seen to come on and go off again on ignition for an MOT now? That's certainly true for most, other wise people would just pull the bulb.

The Abs Light and EML have to be working, we can test this because all abs and EML systems illuminate the lamp on ignition, however the brake pad warning system is optional and many systems don't illuminate on ignition, only if theres a fault, some don't even have a light just a text message on the display when the sensor reads a low pad.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1