Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Balancing twin carbs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:07 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Balancing twin carbs Reply with quote

I have a couple of old Honda twins, which use Keihin CV carbs with diaphragm slides and no holes for vacuum gauges. I’ve been following the procedure in the Honda and Clymer manuals to balance the carbs, which involves testing one side at a time by pulling the plug on the other cylinder and increasing the revs on the carb you’re working on to keep the engine ticking over. This is the method...

1 - Remove plug from right side
2 - screw in throttle stop screw on left carb to get engine to tickover
3 - adjust mixture
4 - adjust idle
5 - repeat on right side
6 - start engine on both cylinders (high rpms now)
7 - adjust idle on both cylinders so that pressure from exhaust is equal

I’m happy with this technique, using a Gunson colortune to assist in getting the mixture right, but would like to know if anyone has a better way of balancing at the final step, other than feeling the pressure at the ends of the silencers?

It feels a little ambiguous and vague. I have a Morgan Carbtune I’ve used on 4cyl Hondas like the CB400F, but these bikes don’t have any vacuum holes on the intake, so other than getting a spare set of intake manifolds and drilling some holes, I require another method. Is feeling the exhaust it?

Thanks!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not found anything better than kitchen scales for balancing carbs.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:32 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s idling at a reasonable rpm while firing on both cylinders, then the idle is balanced well enough for me.

The throttles should open together. Can you see the butterflies moving if you jam the slides up? If the engine pulls evenly at tiny throttle openings without juddering, then again it’s probably ok.

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:33 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the cable’s adjusted so that both throttle levers open at the same time. I usually screw the throttle stop screws out so that there’s a slight gap and then screw back in just so that there touching, and then make simultaneous adjustments on each side from there.

They seem fine. There’s no dip when I open the throttle and they idle pretty steady, I was generally wondering if someone had concocted another method for measuring each carb, but as you say, if it sounds fine and runs fine it probably is fine!

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 09:59 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not screws on the head of engine? My 350 has 2 screws just behind where the inlet manifold bolts to the head. I need to do mine and it's not smooth at all, but need to knock the screw out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be wanting one of these.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OiSE9nq4M

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: balance Reply with quote

Aldi etc. do a relatively in expensive non contact temperature gun.

Equal exhaust header temps ( hot ) as well as carb temps ( cold ) .

A "listening tube" can also be used but takes practice.

There usually blanked off ( by a smallish cross head screw ) take off points on honda's, what models have you got?

The intake flow type could be used, a unit that fits over the carb air intake and measures/indicates intake air flow.......

If you are removing plugs, remember to allow the removed plugs ht passage to earth, or, type dependent, knobble that cylinder LT cb points.

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:31 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
Is there not screws on the head of engine? My 350 has 2 screws just behind where the inlet manifold bolts to the head. I need to do mine and it's not smooth at all, but need to knock the screw out.

It’s a ‘71 and AFAIK it’s not got any screws. I think the G5 ‘74 model and up had them on the intake rubbers.

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:31 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

That’s exactly it 👍🏻

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:34 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: balance Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Aldi etc. do a relatively in expensive non contact temperature gun.

Equal exhaust header temps ( hot ) as well as carb temps ( cold ) .

A "listening tube" can also be used but takes practice.

There usually blanked off ( by a smallish cross head screw ) take off points on honda's, what models have you got?

The intake flow type could be used, a unit that fits over the carb air intake and measures/indicates intake air flow.......

If you are removing plugs, remember to allow the removed plugs ht passage to earth, or, type dependent, knobble that cylinder LT cb points.

Thanks for the suggestions. It’s a K3 ‘71 model and has the removable points cover on the left side.

I’ve heard of people using heat temp guns to measure header temp differences, and I do like an Aldi bargain even if Workzone stuff is a bit hit and miss. I’ll check the website and see what’s available.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Balancing twin carbs Reply with quote

scotto75 wrote:
I have a couple of old Honda twins

Listen to them (use a length of smallish diameter tube).

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: carbs Reply with quote

cv type with rubber diaphragm dash pot pistons.......if carbs are off the bike, and initial "set" ( after a good clean and all float heights correct etc. ) you can use the ball bearing method or even the drill method, but the ball bearing method is better as you do not "trap" a drill via the sprung loaded throttle butterflies etc..

A said, the carbs are OFF the bike. place 2 ball bearing of the same size down the air takes with the dash pots off. Open the throttle via the mechanism and the idle speed screw, and listen for the balls to drop.

A vice gripped carb holder can be made so the carbs are held secure and level etc. via the holding tool not the carb bodies them selves.

If they do not drop at exactly the same time, the butterflies are not in sink, so adjust via the butterfly balancing adjustment.

Remember that throttle butterfly spindles can and do wear, and can/do leak air in.

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:57 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: carbs Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

A said, the carbs are OFF the bike. place 2 ball bearing of the same size down the air takes with the dash pots off. Open the throttle via the mechanism and the idle speed screw, and listen for the balls to drop.

This is good. Got to get the carbs off as i’d like to check floats again so will give this a shot.

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:00 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Balancing twin carbs Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
scotto75 wrote:
I have a couple of old Honda twins

I’m generally always listening to them as individual cylinders but maybe knowing what to listen for takes time, and the 250 is only recently roadworthy again so i’m learning how it sounds, if that makes any sense. The 350 has velocity stacks and shorty mufflers sound all it sounds is loud Smile.

Where should I stick a tube... obviously one end in my ear but the other inside the exhaust? And I would be trying to establish whether the sound of the pulses are equal? That would require one side to be spot on as a reference?

It’s a similar thing with measuring temperature, as I could establish accurately what the temperature is for each cylinder and how great the difference is between the two, but without a reference as to what they should be at under set circumstances it’s difficult to know what changes to make, other than they need to be the same.

As usual i’m probably over thinking it all

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

A synchrometer. I recall Rupert Paul of RIDE or BIKE magazine (he seems to know his onions) saying what a handy tool that was for his Ducati quite some time ago. I bought one thinking one day I'd learn to sync carbs, not knowing it was of no use for 4-cylinders. Embarassed (I have since balanced 4-cylinders using a Morgan CarbTune.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Balancing twin carbs Reply with quote

scotto75 wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Where should I stick a tube... obviously one end in my ear but the other inside the exhaust? And I would be trying to establish whether the sound of the pulses are equal? That would require one side to be spot on as a reference?

!!!!!! Hold one end of the tube to your ear, and the other to the carb intake. Listen to the slurpy hissing sound.

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:29 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
A synchrometer. I recall Rupert Paul of RIDE or BIKE magazine (he seems to know his onions) saying what a handy tool that was for his Ducati quite some time ago. I bought one thinking one day I'd learn to sync carbs, not knowing it was of no use for 4-cylinders. Embarassed (I have since balanced 4-cylinders using a Morgan CarbTune.)

I’ve got the carbtune, but no use on my bikes unless I make some holes somehwhere on the intake manifold. The synchrometer looks exactly like the tool I was asking for! I’ll have to check the diameters but if it’ll fit i’ll be up for forking some readies to give it a go.

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:31 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Balancing twin carbs Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Hold one end of the tube to your ear, and the other to the carb intake. Listen to the slurpy hissing sound.

Of course ☺️

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used fine needles used on injection syringes pushed into the intake rubbers to connect to the carb tune. The tiny hole self seals when the needle is withdrawn. See your local junky or you can buy at a chemists, you might get some funny looks though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: balancing Reply with quote

If you make the suggested carb holder which would ideally be vice mounted ( the holder not the carbs ) you can when all is level etc. use the float chamber drains to establish equal float/fuel levels.

Some length of suitable clear tubing arranged so they point upwards. Connect test tank and allow float chambers to fill and "shut off" ( ie floats float up due to fuel and then close the float needle valves just like an old fashioned toilet ball valve set up ) .

The fuel levels can then be compared, a bench activity as with the balls, but a good starting point.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: carbs Reply with quote

The video, the synchroniser, mainly used to the crypton ( in my SU days one ), but hay ho.

How much are these on the internet, but something similar could be made, a lightly sprung and damped "flap with pointer".....

As you are matching or balancing the throttle butterflies really, so they are both open the same amount, assuming the engine draws in ( or is that the atmosphere pushing in ) the same amount of air, as long as the "his" heard is the same, then they are in balance.

Tube to one ear, tube in carb mouth just before the dash pot piston ( make a "distance piece ( wrap of tape ? ) so the tube is in the carb the same amount carb to carb, you want them to be "equal, yes? ) with engine at idle or 2k revs ish......

Compare his carb to carb.....if one is hissing more its drawing in more air than tuther......

so its cb250k3 1971 in gold ??

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: cb Reply with quote

cmsnl does not show vacc screws on the head and then times me out for the carbs diagram....there may be take vacc off points on the carbs ??

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: e bnay Reply with quote

vw porche weber 32$ on e bay........mmmmmmmm, maybe its time, or make on for my bikes.....onlpy duplicating my ears and gauges etc......but it could have its uses.......the crypton unit "dissappeared" many years ago, some bastard "borrowed/knicked" it !

the cmsnl carb exploded view does not seem to show a vacc take off point blanking screw either, but does show the float bowl drain blanking screw and overflow tube, which sadly are not interconnected, so fuel level comparison will be slightly more difficult in so much that to use the drain screw hole, an adapter will be necessary.

Simply find a similar screw, made from brass would be good and drill a suitable hole thru it. Solder on some brass or copper tube to make a stub over which you fit the clear plastic tube. some effort i know but.......

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:45 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I’ve had several similar thoughts! I had to replace the overflow drain tube on one carb which had snapped off with a small brass m4 nipple used on model aircraft. I did think about drilling and tapping a set of drain plugs to accept one of these, but have also seen people successfully sticking clear tube straight in the hole, after tapering the end and heating a little. The aim is for 2-4mm under the gasket?

I like the idea of making a rack to bench sync and check float levels.

I have a saved search on flea bay and when a suitable, cheap set of intake rubbers turn up I will drill and tap some holes for the Carbtune adapters to fit, but in the meantime, att £30, I’m putting the synchrometer on my Christmas list!

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: tube Reply with quote

Expo drills and tools or a good model shop will stock brass tubing, you mode 2 ?

Replace the overflow tube, its there for a reason. Unless of course you have adapted the drain and modified it to become an over flow as well.

Your bike has the, from memory, tin cross over bit to connect the throttles together ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2