Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rear shock reccomendation: YSS Any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:44 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Rear shock reccomendation: YSS Any good? Reply with quote

Hello,

So I'm having a motorcycling 'mare right now. The KR1S is pretty comprehensively f*cked in the engine dept, the CBR needs work before it does another trackday, I have too many bikes and the VFR seems to now have a duff rear shock.

So, I've been looking at shocks on ebay and the like, and it seems I can get a YSS shock for about £265. This is expensive, and more than I want to spend but the second hand ones all look as f*cked as the one on my bike right now. I've not heard of YSS before, anybody got experience with their shock absorbers? They seem to be shipping in around 7 days, but it won' t be made custom for my size and weight.

The other obvious choices include:

Arrow Hagon - £300 - Decent OEM replacement, but not as good as other aftermarket shocks. May have a long lead time and I need the bike to commute. Can be made custom for my weight but might increase lead time.

Arrow Hyperpro - £360 - If I order today I could have it by the 14th of December, so that's probably a no. Decent enough shock though. I assume made to order?

Arrow Nitron - £430 - Nitron's basic shock should blow pretty much anything else out of the water, but three week lead time and it may be massive overkill for a commuting machine. I know it'll be built well though! It will certainly be better built than the Hagon and is made to order to my weight and riding style.

Is it worth spending the extra money? Are there other budget brands out there that might be good? (Maxton don't show prices or lead times on their website... poor form! Wilbers have to be made to order in Germany and don't seem to list one for my bike on their price list even though they do appear on Ebay coming from France...)

If I'm going to spend up to £430 then the Nitron is a no brainer, but I don't really want to spend anything at all if I can help it. Getting the current one rebuilt will take the bike off the road for far too long, so that's out. And buying a possibly f*cked second hand one and having *that* rebuilt is a possible minefield and I may well end up spending more than a YSS at £265...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

YSS are an established brand from Thailand that do alot of shocks for monoshock, twin shock and scooter fitments. They are from what I've heard a good quality well made budget shock. All I know specifically is that they are well liked by the RDLC/YPVS community and are better than the cheap factory stuff. Maybe on par with Hagon as an credible brand of quality budget shock with adjustment but not all the features of high end shocks.

Where can you get the YSS shock from, as whatever I buy I'd want it to be built to suit my weight, and the desired ride height etc. If they can spring it to suit you then I'd be interested, but anything else like a Hagon, Nitron, Wilbers etc would always be built this way to order.

Is this VFR a daily work beater your trying to run on the cheap, or would you like it to ride well and be a nice all round useful bike for leisure and touring too? That'd be my deciding factor in which way to go.

No-one wants to be swapping shocks in and out all the time, but if you got a clean used shock cheaply as a stop gap until you can have a unit built to suit your requirements irrespective of the make, that's what I'd consider doing.

I'd be happy with a Hagon, Wilbers or Nitron on my bikes, and if I could get a YSS sprung to suit then I'd try one too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:44 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Is this VFR a daily work beater your trying to run on the cheap, or would you like it to ride well and be a nice all round useful bike for leisure and touring too? That'd be my deciding factor in which way to go.

Deffo a work beater, but at the same time I'll be riding it more than any other bike I own, through winter and all that. My commute is between 1hr10 and 1hr40 depending on traffic (and which site I'll be at that particular day).

The YSS comes from Ebay but I would assume it's not sprung for my weight (I weigh under 10 stone, so I'm most certainly below average!). But the sprung for my weight aspect means a longer lead time....

The YSS shocks are available from Brooks Barn, and looking at their site it seems the spring is standard... I'm edging more and more towards spunking the money on Nitron...

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 14:13 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

YSS are very Good, I have one on my Pan, and most ST owners swap one of these in as the replacement when original fails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never fitted one but for a winter bike or adventure/off road bike I really like the idea of these Neoprene shock tubes. If I was going to spend money on a nice shock for an all year round commuter I'd definitely look at fitting one to protect any new shock you fit if there's room for one and it won't burn on the exhaust system that is?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just a work hack why not seek a second hand replacement and/or get the original rebuilt? Will probably cost less than the yss and you could always change spring rate etc.

I haven't been impressed with any hagon shock, but wouldn't hesitate with a nitron, as it will indeed blow the others out the water.

As an aside, I'm in track bike hunting mode. What did you pay for your CBR? I've got the option to buy back my old k4 750 for 2.5k, but unsure if a road legal sports bike is good for me.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:51 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
If it's just a work hack why not seek a second hand replacement and/or get the original rebuilt? Will probably cost less than the yss and you could always change spring rate etc.

I haven't been impressed with any hagon shock, but wouldn't hesitate with a nitron, as it will indeed blow the others out the water.

As an aside, I'm in track bike hunting mode. What did you pay for your CBR? I've got the option to buy back my old k4 750 for 2.5k, but unsure if a road legal sports bike is good for me.

£2.5k... It is cosmetically f*cked though.

Hagon can turn a shock around in three days... The Nitron is £100 more expensive...

The second hand replacement thing is an idea... and I can get it rebuilt by Brook, but they charge a flat rate of £125 to rebuild a shock, and that's if there's no worn out parts. I'm looking at £80 for a half decent shock, and if it needs parts that adds on cost.. so I could end up paying close to the price of a YSS.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:13 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilber is another make. Can't fault mine and helpful guys on the phone.

EDIT: Get bidding.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 21:16 - 01 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:16 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Yeah I mentioned Wilbers, they only seem to come directly from France. They are supposed to be decent, but seem like a lot of faff to order if I have to wait for it to come from France or Germany (where they are based I think).

{edit} Just had another check of their site, and they are £363 from their UK importer, and with a 14 day turn around time, and that's not tailored to my weight...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:20 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Yeah I mentioned Wilbers, they only seem to come directly from France. They are supposed to be decent, but seem like a lot of faff to order if I have to wait for it to come from France or Germany (where they are based I think).

I phoned them up, spoke to a guy with a midlands accent, told him I'm overweight and ride like a dick. He told me what shock/springs/oil/airgap I needed and sent the stuff out.

I often order bike bits/gear from Germany. My last helmet came from Italy. Takes about a day longer.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The YSS shocks are available from Brooks Barn, and looking at their site it seems the spring is standard... I'm edging more and more towards spunking the money on Nitron...

They currently have 15% off on ebay!

YSS shocks are well liked by the Honda CRF250L crowd too! Im tempted to get one!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:25 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

EDIT: Get bidding.

Yup saw that but think it will go high.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're willing to take a chance, I've got a few club racing friends who buy cheap chinese shocks by length off ebay for less than £100.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I phoned them up, spoke to a guy with a midlands accent, told him I'm overweight and ride like a dick. He told me what shock/springs/oil/airgap I needed and sent the stuff out.

That'll have been John at Revs Racing then. I ordered my KMX Wilbers shock from Revs, and he talked me through it with regards to the spring rate I needed for my weight. I had an optional ride height adjuster added. It took around 4weeks to get my shock from Germany.

Im very happy with my shock, but it costs more than a Nitron sport shock and I didn't recommend to Marjay as the lead time wouldn't be suitable for his needs.

If I was lighter than average I might take a chance on an off the shelf YSS shock, but I'd speak to the UK importer first as I dare say they could re-spring it to suit if need be.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilber or nitron would be my preference better build and better full stop. Hagon does not impress me in either customer service or price for what you get. they also fail more often if you use the bike in winter. I think it was £150 for a rebuild of the last one I had on a KLE500 and yes it worked but it wasnt exactly adjustable and on the soggy side when new.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recluso got great service for a shock from Wilbers, via their Irish dealer. 300 quid ish I recall. **edit** They have several models of shock with varying levels of adjustment, 300 gets you the basic non adjustable unit, other than preload. Recluso has seen no need to adjust it at all, but as usual YMMV.

Shock Factory are made by a guy that used to work for EMC, Ive used one and it was great. 350 ponds.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:04 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a Nitron, which I'm pleased about... but I just spunked £430 on it... Sick

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a White Power shock on my CBR.

It cost more than £430 Confused
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:24 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I just ordered a Nitron, which I'm pleased about... but I just spunked £430 on it... Sick

You'll want to get the front sorted out now, At a minimum I'd change the oil and get it sprung for your weight. It'll feel odd if not.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:13 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
You'll want to get the front sorted out now, At a minimum I'd change the oil and get it sprung for your weight. It'll feel odd if not.

I'll see what it feels like first. The front is pretty squishy too, but the preload is pumped up a fair bit so I may be able to adjust it. I was going to buy some decent oil for it though.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put YSS twin shocks on a '90s cb500 a year or two ago. They were soft as fuck and also must've been not quite the right size because I could no longer use the main stand.

I quickly sussed out that with the bars on full lock the back wheel just about turned.

As for the softness, I actually liked it - better than being too hard, like some reckon the Hagons are. It didn't quite handle as well, but it was acceptable.

The YSS shocks were cheap.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Damn right you want to get the forks sorted and a bit firmer or when you dial the shock in right and you can go faster...the front is going to be running wide on the exit, feeling as vague as a vague thing on an indecisive day on the way in and bottoming out under normal braking on anything less smooth than surface plate! get that sorted and the chassis will shine!

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:13 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitron is a good choice, I went with Ktech for my MT09 because it represented better value at the fully adjustable end of the spectrum. But if I was to go for a shock with a combined reb/comp adjuster I'd pick the Nitron over the Ktech any day.

Look at it a different way, keep hold of your stock shock, if you ever sell the bike stick it back on and sell the Nitron on fleebay or an owner's forum. People will rip your arm off for it.

I'd be willing group bet you'd get £250-£300 for the Nitron at that point

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a YSS on my GSXR 1100, it’s absolutely fine and sensibly priced. Doesn’t have the range of adjustment of the original but it doesn’t have 60k of wear and tear either. At the end of the day it’s only a road bike.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:15 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
Damn right you want to get the forks sorted and a bit firmer or when you dial the shock in right and you can go faster...the front is going to be running wide on the exit, feeling as vague as a vague thing on an indecisive day on the way in and bottoming out under normal braking on anything less smooth than surface plate! get that sorted and the chassis will shine!

I’ll see, it is a commuter and I only have about three corners on my commute so... Smile but if I can get it to work without spending a further £300 on the forks I will.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2