BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What TV

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: What TV Reply with quote

I have a 37" 720p TV that I have to keep in the corner of the lounge. I also have to sit in the opposite corner (weird shape lounge). Basically I want a bigger TV because I can't see it properly from 15 feet away.

I don't need 4k, or smart TV. Don't care about sound as it's run through amp and speakers anyway.

Any reason I shouldn't just get the cheapest 43" - 49" 1080p TV going?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:47 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, blacks.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an LG or Samsung Smart TV, go to the app store and add SmartSTB then buy IPTV for it.

Best money youll ever spend.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDR Thumbs Up

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: What TV Reply with quote

You can consume BBC propaganda through a TV of any size. I prefer the ones with low resolution and the volume off. High res, low latency screens should be used... for gaming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:05 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a projector, screen and good light control.

My projector is about 6 years old now. Is awesome. It's on full zoom and still makes an 84" 1080 image. If I got a bigger screen, I could wind it out to double that size.

Solves your corner problem too. Projector on ceiling, retractable screen mounted on the wall. Keep something else in the TV corner.

Good room light control and a high contrast ratio are essential for a projector setup. Also a bit of strong tape rendering any way of turning it off that does not involve the remote impossible. This includes the switch on the back of the projector, the one on the plug and the plug itself.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 01 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE43NU7400-43-Inch-Dynamic-Certified/dp/B07D769GTS/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1541103961&sr=1-8&keywords=samsung+tv

just got the 40" myself

why not smart? Netflix, prime and all the catch-up apps preinstalled

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£350 notes buys a good 4k 43" LG screen with 4k streaming and all the smart tv goodies that you didnt think you'd use like being able to throw your phone screen up to to tv or cast youtube vids etc. £425 notes gets you the same but 49" and to be honest I use the 43" version on my PC to edit photos and video as its colour and contrast is actually bloody good if you turn of picture profiles. 4K is better for a screen that big but you need a 4k supply either sky or web based if its mostly just TV your going to be watching

But for that money why get something less as if it is less spec its also older tech and not worth saving a few quid as you'll be watching it for the next 5 years!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BMY54PF/ref=psdc_560864_t2_B07D769GTS

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:56 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
£350 notes buys a good 4k 43" LG screen with 4k streaming and all the smart tv goodies that you didnt think you'd use like being able to throw your phone screen up to to tv or cast youtube vids etc. £425 notes gets you the same but 49" and to be honest I use the 43" version on my PC to edit photos and video as its colour and contrast is actually bloody good if you turn of picture profiles. 4K is better for a screen that big but you need a 4k supply either sky or web based if its mostly just TV your going to be watching

But for that money why get something less as if it is less spec its also older tech and not worth saving a few quid as you'll be watching it for the next 5 years!

43" is no way large enough to make a 4k screen worth it. You need at least 60" or it's a waste of money.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:38 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE've just bought a 43" JVC telly for the boy for Christmas - £299. 4k, smart tv, 4 HDMI's, 3 USBs, SCART (he will be using it for all of his consoles, including older ones). Not a bad looking telly, and decent for the price.

At the same time, I saw a 82" 4K screen for £3100. It was a thing of beauty...

Even cheaper now... https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue82nu8000-82-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10178189-pdt.html

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
bladerunner wrote:

43" is no way large enough to make a 4k screen worth it. You need at least 60" or it's a waste of money.

How so? 4k gaming on a 28" screen is some next level shit Very Happy I also upgraded my TV fairly recently from 1080p > 4K 50 inch, and even GTA V on my standard Xbox One looks massively better. I can only imagine what RDR2 looks like on the One X (must resist the urge to find out).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:48 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
43" is no way large enough to make a 4k screen worth it.

What about monitors? Mine are 4k and nowhere near that (LG 27UK650)

The difference is unreal between that and my standard 1080p kit.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:09 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A monitor is different, I'm not an expert on computer displays but I know with TVs that your eye won't be able to see the difference between a really good 1080p signal on a 42" TV and a 4K one. Maybe with HDR and deep blacks it will look subjectively better, but it's not the resolution thats really doing that.

{edit} Maybe because you sit a lot closer to a monitor?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_Pm9WmpE--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1435998009385243206.png

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE43NU7400-43-Inch-Dynamic-Certified/dp/B07D769GTS/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1541103961&sr=1-8&keywords=samsung+tv

just got the 40" myself

why not smart? Netflix, prime and all the catch-up apps preinstalled
I've got an Amazon Fire TV box already, all the apps I need. Also have an android box if I want anything else. I'd rather spend all my money on screen size and quality rather than any other bells and whistles that I wouldn't need

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having the 'smart stuff' integrated. For example you can restart BBC programmes by pressing the green button. Before I'd have to switch to the TV stick, look for the remote, go into the iPlayer, find the thing I was watching. I know it's not that much of a hardship it's just less of a faff now.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:43 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_Pm9WmpE--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/1435998009385243206.png

Those people need their eyes tested I have a 50" 4k @15ft, and can certainly tell the difference between 1080p and 4k let alone 720p.

I have actual (well anecdotal) "Proof" too I moved some stuff around and used an old HDMI cable to plug in my PS4 Pro, the cable didn't support 4k, It took me less than a couple of minutes to realise something was up playing HZD.

If you put 480/720/1080/4k video on my TV I'd bet a substantial amount I can pick out which is which in all bar 720p/1080p.

720p/1080p is close enough it depends on encoding or other stuff IMO, I seen 720p Movies that look better than 1080p.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:51 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Would kinda make sense as I sit barely 2-3ft from my monitors. Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: What TV Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I have a 37" 720p TV that I have to keep in the corner of the lounge. I also have to sit in the opposite corner (weird shape lounge). Basically I want a bigger TV because I can't see it properly from 15 feet away.

I don't need 4k, or smart TV. Don't care about sound as it's run through amp and speakers anyway.

Any reason I shouldn't just get the cheapest 43" - 49" 1080p TV going?

Not that I know of, as long as the difference between outright spec. and usability doesn't bother you (things equally usable can have widely different specifications! Smile ).

I bought me ol' mum a 40" Finlux TV a few years ago, which was very good, excellent picture, although sniffed at by the cognoscenti. She lost the remote the Christmas before last, and they gave me another one! Part of the Vestel group, whose components are used in various brands of TVs.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be doing something wrong with my 4k TV, (60inch Toshiba), then.... I've had it for under 6 months and have yet to find anything* to justify it over HD.

I've tried a few games in 4k and not noticed any difference, (I've even watched a few comparison videos and all of them are only showing the difference when a character (or vehicle) is stationary).

I'm seriously considering flogging it soon

*I can view most of my photos full size is probably the only thing so far

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:15 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I've tried a few games in 4k and not noticed any difference

Games on a big screen with lag is just aids.

Running my One X on 1080p mode with Destiny 2 vs 4K, so much difference. Same as Assassins Creed.

Even more so, the 1080p/4K demo videos, VERY different.

I wouldn't ever game on a TV anymore, but I suppose I game competitively now, every ms counts Laughing

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Running my One X on 1080p mode with Destiny 2 vs 4K, so much difference. Same as Assassins Creed.

I wouldn't ever game on a TV anymore, but I suppose I game competitively now, every ms counts Laughing

You got videos to show what I'm missing out on?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:27 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Those people need their eyes tested I have a 50" 4k @15ft, and can certainly tell the difference between 1080p and 4k let alone 720p.

I have actual (well anecdotal) "Proof" too I moved some stuff around and used an old HDMI cable to plug in my PS4 Pro, the cable didn't support 4k, It took me less than a couple of minutes to realise something was up playing HZD.

If you put 480/720/1080/4k video on my TV I'd bet a substantial amount I can pick out which is which in all bar 720p/1080p.

720p/1080p is close enough it depends on encoding or other stuff IMO, I seen 720p Movies that look better than 1080p.

That's because non native resolutions always look poor. A 1080p signal on a 1080p TV will look far far better than a 1080p signal on a 4k TV!

Encoding is important, yes but all else being equal the above applies. You also have to bear in mind that 4k is often compressed more than 1080p just because it needs to fit within the same bandwidth!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:28 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I must be doing something wrong with my 4k TV, (60inch Toshiba), then.... I've had it for under 6 months and have yet to find anything* to justify it over HD.

I've tried a few games in 4k and not noticed any difference, (I've even watched a few comparison videos and all of them are only showing the difference when a character (or vehicle) is stationary).

I'm seriously considering flogging it soon

*I can view most of my photos full size is probably the only thing so far

The primary advantage of 4k over 1080p for most users is the improvement in panel technology. Deeper blacks and HDR. If you get a 4k Blu ray on a big enough 4k TV you will see a difference, but for anything that is compressed, upscaled or on a small TV you probably won't notice much difference.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:06 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

You got videos to show what I'm missing out on?

Probably not, my game is designed to work in 4K, it's all 4K. Problem is a bigger screen won't work for me. I'm literally playing to win Laughing converting from a 40 inch TV to a 27 monitor is literally a game changer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2