Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car license with bike experience

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Car license with bike experience Reply with quote

Cold days are starting and want to spare the bike for a while over the winter.

Anyone on here who done a car license after having a bike for a while.
Been riding for over 3 years with full A2. Had 2 car lessons and went absolutely easy. Anyone got an idea of how many lessons is recommended, just out of couriosity or other people's experiences.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:41 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean taken a driving test for a license after having rode your bike for 2 years.

road craft is road craft.

i suspect your time on a bike will hold you in very good stead for a car driving test.

just no filtering..

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my car test in January.

I've had my bike licence for 7 years, so I've clocked up many miles and also clocked up a lot of road experience.

I did my bike licence with only a year's CBT under my belt, which is probably why it took 3 attempts to pass Mod 1 and 5 attempts at Mod 2, that and test nerves got the better of me through a few of those attempts.

Fast forward to last October, did 9 lessons in the car and passed first time. In my opinion, the car test is a lot easier than the bike test. No silly riding around cones, no swerves, just get in the car, answer a couple of questions, do one single manoeuvre (ONE MANOEUVRE, unbelievable) and you'll be fine.

ಠ_ಠ

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:06 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car test is 100x easier.

Practise parking.

rest is childs play.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Car test is 100x easier.

Practise parking.

rest is childs play.

Agreed, practice that parking. My instructors car had little stick-on blind spot mirrors that he angled downwards so that you could see the white lines of the parking bays and kerbs. I got on with them so well that I bought the same ones for my own car.

You'll also find that when doing a parking manoeuvre that you'll want to set yourself Reference points on the windows of the car. For example, when I was learning to parallel park, I would park up alongside another car find a reference on the passenger window in relation to, let's say, the other cars wing mirror, and then perform the manoeuvre while using the angled blind spot mirror to look for the kerb.

I bet all instructors are different in teaching you the manoeuvres, but I bet they all tell their students to use points of reference when doing a manoeuvre.

Observation is still key when driving, so don't think you can get away with not doing any observation whatsoever. My instructor picked up that I rode a bike as I was looking everywhere on my first lesson.

ಠ_ಠ

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a number of years of riding bikes, I took my car test. I found it all very easy, no problems.

...well, just one Laughing
Whilst under instruction one time, I was about to go for a gap to get onto a roundabout, this in an XR2i, dual controls.
The instructor jammed his foot on the brakes and said, "you're not riding a motorcycle now, you wouldn't have made that!"

I was in disagreement, but there you go Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 1 2hour lesson I personally didn't know what exactly I need to practice, from instructors point of view I perfectly done all manovers and would past the test, this was first time I attempted them aswell, with perfect driving on road (apart from squizzing in a tight spot). Not sure whether it will be easier to get own car and practice with a family member, then wasting money on lessons.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:
After 1 2hour lesson I personally didn't know what exactly I need to practice, from instructors point of view I perfectly done all manovers and would past the test, this was first time I attempted them aswell, with perfect driving on road (apart from squizzing in a tight spot). Not sure whether it will be easier to get own car and practice with a family member, then wasting money on lessons.

Probably varies for different people.
I did an intensive driving course, 2 weeks I think, driving every day except weekends, about 2hrs behind the wheel each day (there were 4 or 5 of us with the same instructor). I did no other driving, had no other access to a car in that time, it was clearly enough. Doesn't mean to say everyone would find that enough, and some would probably manage with less.
If you think he/she won't just angle for more lessons to get more money off you, then ask your instructor what he/she thinks. That's what you're paying him/her for.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Hasujek wrote:

Probably varies for different people.
I did an intensive driving course, 2 weeks I think, driving every day except weekends, about 2hrs behind the wheel each day (there were 4 or 5 of us with the same instructor). I did no other driving, had no other access to a car in that time, it was clearly enough. Doesn't mean to say everyone would find that enough, and some would probably manage with less.
If you think he/she won't just angle for more lessons to get more money off you, then ask your instructor what he/she thinks. That's what you're paying him/her for.

The instructor seemed fine, but he couldn't give me a rough idea of how many lessons and only what we need to practice is road safety, hmm? Not only, booked my lesson for 4 weeks after first one. Long time to wait and no idea what to practice.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Car license with bike experience Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:

Anyone on here who done a car license after having a bike for a while.

just out of couriosity or other people's experiences.

yeah, me. Been riding bikes since I was a kid.

Learned to drive when I was 30. Hated it, it doesn't feel right, or safe.

I actually gave up on driving lessons cos it sucked so much, but my well meaning in-laws, bought me "bottomless driving lessons" one Christmas until I passed me test. So, I passed my test, somehow.

I wish I was a good driver, but I am a crap one, I can't do it, and I don't like it.

Never driven in the UK without an instructor, did pass plus, had refresher lessons. Hate it.

I did drive an auto in NZ though, but most days I saw like 12 cars and a couple of tractors.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my car test first time, after probably 15 lessons, though there was a gap of around a year after the first 5. I think 10-12 would have been reasonable if I hadn't stopped.

Handing the pink licence to the examiner helps too (he said so himself).

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thickest person I know took 15 attempts to pass the car theory test and 9 attempts to pass the car practical test after 3-4 years of weekly lessons.

She genuinely shouldn't be driving. No spatial awareness at all, numerous crashes. If even that pig shit thick moron can pass (eventually) then anybody can.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
I found the bike test the easiest of the two but we aren't all naturally gifted riders.

Erm. So gifted you avoided a BMW.....

https://i.postimg.cc/bNBwvrZ6/Screenshot-20181023-101008-Gallery.jpg

Back on topic, I passed my car test at the age of 30. A full 13 years after passing my bike test.
It was much easier than I thought it would be, I can only put it down to the road experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KITT wrote:
I found the bike test the easiest of the two but we aren't all naturally gifted riders.

Might also have something to do with being able to spend hundreds of hours wobbling around on L plates on a bike Wink

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
The thickest person I know took 15 attempts to pass the car theory test and 9 attempts to pass the car practical test after 3-4 years of weekly lessons.

She genuinely shouldn't be driving. No spatial awareness at all, numerous crashes. If even that pig shit thick moron can pass (eventually) then anybody can.

I wish there was some sort of continual assessment. Every ten years when you renew your license for example.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I wish there was some sort of continual assessment. Every ten years when you renew your license for example.

Until you get the letter saying, "book your reassessment now, or lose your license" ! And undoubtedly, it'd be something else you'd have to pay for Rolling Eyes

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the few people that learned to drive before doing my bike test. It was because of both family pressure to learn to drive, and also because I was too skint at 17 to afford a really great 125.

I thought the car test was fairly easy, but it's very different having someone sat next to you watching every move, than it is having a bloke follow you on his bike. More pressure even I'd say. I was happy with my car and bike control long before I was 17, but theres fewer legal opportunities to practice driving a car before you get your provisional, and all the private road (cough)driving doesn't prepare you for the highway code and driving to test standard with regards to traffic rules etc.

I did my bike test 21years ago, and yeah I thought it wasn't too hard after the car test, but the bike test back then would have been much easier than it is now admittedly.

I think spending some time as a road user on two or four wheels does help you alot when learning to drive/ride respectively.

I agree with MC on the car driving test being far too easy still though, and that regular maybe 5-10year re-tests should be mandatory as long as the test fees are reasonable and not a government money making piss take instead.

Car drivers should have to be motorway proficient before getting a licence and I'm all for all drivers having to do a mandatory CBT. Call me nasty but we need to filter out more people to reduce the number of extra drivers on the road, before none of us can go anywhere because of total gridlock.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: Car license with bike experience Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:

Anyone on here who done a car license after having a bike for a while. .

Started riding bikes 24 years ago, been a DAS instructor for 5 years passed my car test 18 months ago. Piss easy. Road craft is road craft. A lot of the biking lessons transfer over, you just have to get used to the extra size and how fucking slow it feels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

Until you get the letter saying, "book your reassessment now, or lose your license" ! And undoubtedly, it'd be something else you'd have to pay for Rolling Eyes

Providing it was from the date of your first test pass (as in your license expiry date reset when you pass), and it wasn't extortionate (around current test fees), I'd be happy in the knowledge you'd be getting a few more dangerous drivers off the road.

It seems an odd system where you could potentially pass at 17, wait until you're an OAP to drive again, then merrily mow down pedestrians in your automatic Micra.

pinkyfloyd wrote:
you just have to get used to the extra size and how fucking slow it feels

This x100 Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my car test 30 years after passing my bike test purely because my wife took her bike test and I wasn't having her have one up on me. Laughing

I booked one of these intensive courses - 4 days of 5 hours a day and then test the day after.

After 2 days we were just driving round enjoying the countryside.Thumbs Up

The only issue I had was I was using the wing mirrors more than the centre mirror but other than that it was a piece of piss.

Passes with 1 minor.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my car at 18, about a year after getting my full bike license in '95. 1 minor (signal timing I think, it was a long time ago), piece of piss.

Because of the DVLA's utter incompetence, it looks like I'll have to do it again should my Solicitor fail to convince them they have indeed fucked up again. I don't expect any issues should I have to.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my car test a week or so after the bike, I had around 10 lessons but I probably didn't need that many. The only thing to watch out for is the maneuvers you have to make.

I spent most of my car test in traffic Laughing

I believe 20 lessons is good for people new to the road.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:06 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:

Some car rental places offer dual control learners cars, Arnold Clark for example, just over a tenner an hour, just bring along a suitably qualified friend, when my oldest did it she was a student, they got it half price, so we just took two hour hires instead.

Couple of weekends in that, then a couple with an instructor, to give you an idea of routes and what the examiners are looking out for, no coasting for example, and you'll be fine.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you passed the theory test?

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 03 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Have you passed the theory test?

Yes, over a year ago.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2