Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Feel conned by Bennetts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 11:15 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Feel conned by Bennetts Reply with quote

Sorry for any fans of insurance... rant ahead, but feel I've been conned a bit.

I recently sold one of my bikes, which was on its own on a Bennetts policy (with a few years of no claims now), so I called them up today to cancel aforementioned policy.

The chap on the line told me there will be a cancellation charge, of which he'll calculate throughout the process. I felt that was okay, I'm used to being charged accordingly after all, and assumed from previous experience with insurance companies there wouldn't be much of an issue - or much of a charge either.

Wrong.

The cancellation charge worked out at over £100, for some bizarre nonsense insurance-small-print-fuelled-jargon-tastic reason. The problem is, I still had 4 months left on the policy, and was paying a little over £20 a month in instalments.

Hence my problem; it would cost me more to cancel the policy than to keep it running (!)

Once I fathomed that, I asked whether I could call them back before proceeding, as despite being a bit of a hassle, I could transfer one of my other bikes to my Bennetts policy, which would make more financial sense.

But apparently, the Bennetts bod explained that I'd already cancelled the policy by merely mentioning I wished to do so (even before he told me the cancellation charge figure), and that I was now legally bound to pay over £100 for doing so.

One expensive phone call. Even if I'd hung up, apparently the paperwork was already to be dispatched and I'd receive a bill in the next couple of days.

In future I'll always triple check the small print on all of my documents before making such a phone call. And probably never use Bennetts again; even if I get a cheap quote from them, it's going to need to be £100 cheaper than the other insurance brokers out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you have to have insurance permanently on any vehicle that isn't SORN, and cancelling the insurance is a legal requirement when you sell or dispose of a bike, I don't doubt that they can basically charge you what you like for it.

Personally I'd have complained until they waived the charge, but that's just me. Have you tried tweeting them and stuff like that? Sometimes that works? Have you tried going on bikesocial.co.uk and complaining? (It's their 'motorcycle social network').
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a massive row with them for doing this about ten years ago, and vowed never to use them again.
They don't all do it, at least Carol Nash didn't last time I changed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things at play here:

1) you mention you were paying in instalments.
So, what happened when you took your policy out is that Bennets took out / gave you a loan to cover the total cost of the insurance (Insurance must be paid in full at the time of taking out the policy)

You owe 4 months on the loan at £20 a month + £20 admin fee =£100.

2) You asked to cancel, were told there was an admin fee and said "ok" or something similar and so had initiated the cancelation period - I don't agree that this is right, but can see how it's happened.

The latter is why I will always say to insurance companies "I am thinking of...." so that any recording of the call will clearly show that I was asking for information to inform a decision, not that I wanted to do something.

You may be able to contest the admin fee,

You may be able to argue point 2 that you were not aware that you had canceled and were expecting to be asked "do you wish to go ahead with cancelling the policy now"

Arry is the chap on here to speak to.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also ended up highly disgruntled after being charged by an insurer for removing a bike from the policy after having sold it. (FWIW, I'd paid the premium in full up front).

Advice gleaned from BCF was that if you decide not to bother cancelling, and if the new owner then ends up having an accident without insurance (maybe even riding his new bike home), then legally your insurer will still be on the hook for any third-party claim resulting - and because you've broken the T&C's of the policy they will come after you personally for the amount of the payout (ie, they could take your house). So, realistically you have no option but to play their game.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar thing last year albeit for a car.. Adrian Flux mind.

Phoned up to say my policy was incorrect as my car is parked in a 'private car park, but publically accessed', when they put 'public car park'- I live in a flat.

I said that i would not be cancelling the policy to start a new one because i was not in the wrong, i put the phone down.

Found cancellation documents in my inbox minutes later and a cancelation fee on my on-line banking...

Later they phoned up to say that they were indeed wrong through recorded messages that i had indeed said what I did. Got full re-fund. Hate isnurance.

All my vehicles are over 25 years old now, and when I take out a policy they don't tell me that the policy would be 'classic' and therefore i would not receive NCD. I request normal policy now straight from the off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:24 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between charging a fee due to non declaration of relevant information and cancellation as you've sold the vehicle. In my experience (including bennetts a couple of years ago) they cannot charge you more than the remaining outstanding balance due.

Go directly to the ombudsman.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arseholes

decided to let them auto renew one year as the price was acceptable, four days later no money had left my account, no confirmation email, no post so rang them up and due to a 'weekend computer glitch' she couldn't tell me if my renewal had processed or not, in a panic I quickly took out some insurance with someone else and an hour later they called to say I was on cover even though the payment hadn't been taken, I told them to shove it and wouldn't be returning

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:10 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Go straight to making a formal complaint

AFAIK you have to do that before you can go to the Ombudsman.

But wait for a post from arry. Mr. Green

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
Had a similar thing last year albeit for a car.. Adrian Flux mind.

I said that i would not be cancelling the policy to start a new one because i was not in the wrong, i put the phone down.

Found cancellation documents in my inbox minutes later and a cancelation fee on my on-line banking...

I have had them cancel and start a new policy when I changed a bike as doing so was cheaper than transferring the policy, but they did so by telling me this would be the case - effectively got a couple of free month's insurance as a result!

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Two things at play here:

1) you mention you were paying in instalments.
So, what happened when you took your policy out is that Bennets took out / gave you a loan to cover the total cost of the insurance (Insurance must be paid in full at the time of taking out the policy)

You owe 4 months on the loan at £20 a month + £20 admin fee =£100.

^ This - it's not unusual for that to happen, it's the peril of paying "In Installments" ...

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennetts are still arseholes then, I steered clear of them and Carole Nash when I was riding, their quotes on my bikes were obscene.

Last edited by Bikeless on 11:25 - 08 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Go directly to the ombudsman.

What exactly are they going to do?

I had an issue with van insurance a couple of years ago, I filled in all my details properly as requested on a comparison site (stating I had 0 NCB), the cheapest quote was for around £780, so I took out the policy, I got a phone call asking me to prove my 9 years NCB.... after a lengthy phone call they tried to charge me an extra £1000 because they "assumed" that because I'd had my licence for 15 years by that point I had at least 9 years no claims bonus Confused

Several complaints later I contacted the ombudsman, they said that I had done everything right and it was the insurance company at fault (they contacted the insurance company with this information too), the ombudsman decided I be compensated for time wasted etc..... then said it was up to me to pursue the £175 from the insurance company Evil or Very Mad

Still haven't even received as much as an apology

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Advice gleaned from BCF was that if you decide not to bother cancelling, and if the new owner then ends up having an accident without insurance (maybe even riding his new bike home), then legally your insurer will still be on the hook for any third-party claim resulting - and because you've broken the T&C's of the policy they will come after you personally for the amount of the payout (ie, they could take your house). So, realistically you have no option but to play their game.

What would happen if you called up and said look I've sold the vehicle, it's up to you if you continue to insure it? I thought normally they have you by the balls as you want a refund, which they deduct from. I'm still butthurt having paid £70 for 2 weeks insurance (I cancelled during the cooling off period).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit isn't it this new insurance system/cover ruling. I take it that's it's an EU thing? Or is it just because plod has asked for continuous insurance compulsory ruling to make their life easier?

No help to OP, but I think the way to sell any vehicle now is MOT it for 12months, then Sorn it and cancel policy. Keep bike locked up in house or somewhere safe and very secure. Don't meet buyers at your house, just pick a location that's convenient. No test rides unless they tax and insure it or have 3Rd party cover. If someone wants your bike enough they'll play by your rules.

If not they can do one,! No fucks will be given in true Hetz style.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:05 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not up to them to decide whether they will continue to insure the vehicle after you've sold it.

If you ring up and tell them that you've sold the vehicle then the policy is finished. That much isn't open to discussion. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
No help to OP, but I think the way to sell any vehicle now is MOT it for 12months, then Sorn it and cancel policy. Keep bike locked up in house or somewhere safe and very secure. Don't meet buyers at your house, just pick a location that's convenient. No test rides unless they tax and insure it or have 3Rd party cover. If someone wants your bike enough they'll play by your rules.

How will you get the bike there? Smile I've not had any issues selling privately (yet Praying ), the first person to turn up has always bought them as I'm honest in my descriptions etc.. Test rides I play by ear (when buying and selling), I'll admit I've let people have test rides without insurance Embarassed

Ste wrote:
It's not up to them to decide whether they will continue to insure the vehicle after you've sold it.

The horror stories seem to involve the owner selling a vehicle and not informing their insurer. I can't see why they'd leave a policy running if you've informed them you're no longer the owner, but told them to stick their admin fee. Whether or not the guys from can't pay take it away will end up knocking on your door, who knows.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I had a massive row with them for doing this about ten years ago, and vowed never to use them again.
They don't all do it, at least Carol Nash didn't last time I changed.

is the reason i changed from bennets to carol nash. Genuinely better service, cheaper, fewer fk ups.

Classic policy FTW

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

How will you get the bike there? Smile I've not had any issues selling privately (yet Praying ), the first person to turn up has always bought them as I'm honest in my descriptions etc.. Test rides I play by ear (when buying and selling), I'll admit I've let people have test rides without insurance Embarassed

There's always a way, just like how a machine can suddenly appear at a test centre for a full A-licence test. Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:58 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As explained, the small print wasn't really jargon it was the credit agreement you never read.

It is always more expensive to buy insurance on credit, bankers have mouths to feed too you know. Smile

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:45 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not related to the OP but my renewal quote with Bennetts just landed. £450 against last year's premium of £250. No surprises there then!

Jumped on their website, popped in exact same details, add-ons, excesses etc and quote came back at £219. Rang em up, politely told them to stuff their renewal, and took out new policy online. Chap on the phone didn't seem in the least bit interested when I called them out on the absurd premium hike.

"We've searched our bank of insurers and are pleased to offer you our best possible quote". My arse.

Pain is, I do like Bennetts' packages - roadside assist EU, helmet & leather, legal costs etc as when bought as a package it's pretty reasonable. So year after year I stick with them, despite having to take out a new policy each time. Just waiting for the "We need your NCD" phone call Rolling Eyes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
There's always a way, just like how a machine can suddenly appear at a test centre for a full A-licence test. Wink

Well unless you have a van that would mean riding it to your secret location untaxed without insurance. It seems a little risky for paranoia Smile

Spamalittle wrote:
Not related to the OP but my renewal quote with Bennetts just landed. £450 against last year's premium of £250. No surprises there then!

Jumped on their website, popped in exact same details, add-ons, excesses etc and quote came back at £219. Rang em up, politely told them to stuff their renewal, and took out new policy online. Chap on the phone didn't seem in the least bit interested when I called them out on the absurd premium hike.

"We've searched our bank of insurers and are pleased to offer you our best possible quote". My arse.

Pain is, I do like Bennetts' packages - roadside assist EU, helmet & leather, legal costs etc as when bought as a package it's pretty reasonable. So year after year I stick with them, despite having to take out a new policy each time. Just waiting for the "We need your NCD" phone call Rolling Eyes

Neither were Admiral. I checked renewal quotes before 'my renewal was due' (so over a month before), £600, as soon as I was in the one month renewal window they stopped giving out quotes on their own and comparison sites, and a renewal came through for £900 Rolling Eyes

Their best over the phone quote was £750 even after I'd told them I knew what they were up to, "prices change all the time sir", so I let the policy expire, that unblicked me from online quotes, got it for £580.

Unfortunately like MCE (for bikes) they're massively cheaper and I'm stuck with them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:11 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you didn't try running your details though any of the price comparison sites to see if anyone is cheaper than Bennetts? Sad

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That (running details though any of the price comparison sites to see if anyone is cheaper than Bennetts) is what I'm about to do. Their online mechanism quoted £4K for TPFT insurance on his RS3!!!

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:15 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So you didn't try running your details though any of the price comparison sites to see if anyone is cheaper than Bennetts? Sad

Yup - much of a muchness and with add-ons Bennetts were close to the cheapest (and I aint using MCE again).

Ran it through their website directly when buying the policy as often when you put your details in price comparison websites, half your details are missing/changed when it gets imported to the provider site. They keep marrying me off Pale
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2