BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Feel conned by Bennetts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:22 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best price for insurance is found using price comparison sites and then bought by clicking through topcashback to get myself some free cashback. Mr. Green

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamalittle wrote:
Not related to the OP but my renewal quote with Bennetts just landed. £450 against last year's premium of £250. No surprises there then!

Jumped on their website, popped in exact same details, add-ons, excesses etc and quote came back at £219. Rang em up, politely told them to stuff their renewal, and took out new policy online. Chap on the phone didn't seem in the least bit interested when I called them out on the absurd premium hike.

"We've searched our bank of insurers and are pleased to offer you our best possible quote". My arse.

Pain is, I do like Bennetts' packages - roadside assist EU, helmet & leather, legal costs etc as when bought as a package it's pretty reasonable. So year after year I stick with them, despite having to take out a new policy each time. Just waiting for the "We need your NCD" phone call Rolling Eyes

I had a similar issue with my current insurer when my renewal came through the other day.

Bearing in mind I have 8 years no claims, no convictions and I'll be 36 this month, they still wanted.... Wait for it...... £999.98 to insure my MT-09.

After a search on comparison websites, like I do every year, I managed to be get it down as far as £341, with the exact same details on my current policy.

When I rung up to politely tell them that I won't be renewing my policy with them, the guy on the phone asked what price I managed to get for a new policy. Told him the new price and he was all like "yeah, that's fair enough, can't argue with that can you?"

Didn't see a point in getting angry with the person on the other end of the phone, he's only getting paid a crappy wage for his job, he's not going to give a shit either way.

But yeah, in short, insurers have and always will do exactly what they want, with little regard for the individual and their needs.

ಠ_ಠ

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Best price for insurance is found using price comparison sites and then bought by clicking through topcashback to get myself some free cashback. Mr. Green

Which is my normal strategy too. Doesn't necessarily work though; at my own last renewal a couple of weeks ago the cost of the policy (with Brightside) was about £80 higher if I went via TopCashBack, despite double-checking that everything on the two quotes was filled in the same. As the cashback was only about £16, guess which quote I accepted...

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:24 - 10 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Two things at play here:

1) you mention you were paying in instalments.
So, what happened when you took your policy out is that Bennets took out / gave you a loan to cover the total cost of the insurance (Insurance must be paid in full at the time of taking out the policy)

You owe 4 months on the loan at £20 a month + £20 admin fee =£100...

That^^.

Ste wrote:
It's not up to them to decide whether they will continue to insure the vehicle after you've sold it.

If you ring up and tell them that you've sold the vehicle then the policy is finished. That much isn't open to discussion. Laughing

And that^^.

Insurance brokers/companies are assholes but there's not much that they could do different in that scenario.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It's not up to them to decide whether they will continue to insure the vehicle after you've sold it.

If you ring up and tell them that you've sold the vehicle then the policy is finished. That much isn't open to discussion. Laughing

we have a similar problem with a dealer service plan

mrs was looking at changing the car but the garage wanted over 130 quid to cancel

and unless we bought the new car from them they refuse to service any other cars
which is great but they don't sell the cars we are looking at
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:31 - 11 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamalittle wrote:
Not related to the OP but my renewal quote with Bennetts just landed. £450 against last year's premium of £250. No surprises there then!

Jumped on their website, popped in exact same details, add-ons, excesses etc and quote came back at £219. Rang em up, politely told them to stuff their renewal, and took out new policy online. Chap on the phone didn't seem in the least bit interested when I called them out on the absurd premium hike.

"We've searched our bank of insurers and are pleased to offer you our best possible quote". My arse.

Pain is, I do like Bennetts' packages - roadside assist EU, helmet & leather, legal costs etc as when bought as a package it's pretty reasonable. So year after year I stick with them, despite having to take out a new policy each time. Just waiting for the "We need your NCD" phone call Rolling Eyes

I had this when the car insurance was up for renewal.

I called them up and the lady on the phone told me that the underwriter of the original policy had sent out the "new quote" on their letterhead and it hadn't actually come from them. FWIW the renewal was almost £500, what i actually ended up paying was a smidge over £200 from the original insurer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2