new commuter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:54 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: new commuter Reply with quote

hi all

with the ULEZ in London looming it is time to think of a new commuter, currently on an 02 cbr f4i, tbh with traffic getting worse and worse in London I've had enough of sports bikes (even though I love the look of them).

I know the best option would be a scooter but I prefer the riding position of a proper motorbike.

Comfort is now more important to me than pure looks Rolling Eyes although I would still like it to look half decent.

Currently thinking of a Fazer 600 or 1000 or perhaps MT07 or 09 as these still look quite nice and have the power I would want, will also most likely stick a box on the back as this will be my transport mon-fri and only use the old car on the weekend (which I dont take into the ULEZ).

so realistically what I am looking for in a bike is
1. comfort - 6ft2 19-20st
2. half decent looks - I prefer twin headlight ones and a bit of width to my bike but still need to be able to filter easily
3. ABS! Rolling Eyes
4. reliable - i don't want to be fiddling with the bike all the time, one because i'm lazy, two because i don't really have the time and three as my knowledge is limited
5. reasonable mpg - similar to a cbr600 would be fine for me

any others ideas of bikes i should be looking at?

thanks

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget?

I'm roughly your size and test rode the MT09SP recently, it's a great bike and super comfortable ergonomically. They are quite popular with the local scums though.

CB600F?

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:57 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

hadn't though of a budget Laughing probably in the £4-6k range max. I do like the look of the MT09 but agree it may attract unwanted attention, most of the time parking won't be an issue as garaged at home and "secure" parking at work, i might start taking it to the gym with me rather than drive which is why i was looking at a box on the back too.

CB600F might be worthwhile, are they the new CBF basically?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB600F

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CBF600

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:47 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in similar position as yourself, just upgraded from an old Fazer FZS600 to a newer FZ6 S2 from 2007.

So, how does it stack up in London?
You need the FZ6 S2, older ones don't hit the Euro 3 mark. The S2 looks better, better brakes, and has extra cat in the exhaust.
They're cheap and well under your budget £2.5k got me a 2007 model with 12k on it in decent nick. TBH I'd only consider something more fancy if you've got decent secure parking either end of your commute and don't it picking up the odd scrape and scratch from tight parking bays and nitty gritty filtering.
Only some FZ6's had ABS (mine didn't), so you may need to pay fraction more for one with ABS.
It's got a bit more low down grunt and torque than the old FZS600, great around town and on twisties.
I really miss the 21 litre tank and 230 mile range of my old 2003 FZS600. But mpg wise, both get about 50-55 ish. And if anything like my old Fazer, it should be pretty bullet proof and cheap enough to maintain.
I'm 6'1" and have found the pegs to seat distance a spot cramped, been getting a bit of knee ache on long journeys and covering rear brake (e.g. for low speed filtered in town) is a little awkward angle wise on my ankle. I'm going to be looking into a raised seat. Imagine you'll be similar here.
It's a bit more upright that a CBR, but still a little lean forward, you may find it a nice compromise.
The under seat exhausts do get toasty, reckon that'll be nice through the winter, but I do worry that'll piss me off in summer....

Other bikes in this category you should perhaps consider:
CB600F Hornet
SV650 (though some say these are a bit cramped for tall folk)
BMW F800ST or GT - bit tamer, but very good mpg and practical.

But with your budget, perhaps look at
CB650F
MT09/07
Tracer 900 (or 700)
Kwak Z650/Z900
Really depends on your security and how bad the insurance is for you. For me in East London all the above were £1.5k+ to insure...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:34 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I'm thinking that an ER6F might be a good idea. I'm going to have the same problem in a couple of years...

Arrow Full fairing - weather protection
Arrow Very comfortable
Arrow Cheap insurance
Arrow Enough grunt but not warp speed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same spot a month or so ago. It was shortly after nearly being bike-jacked for the second time on my SH300, I decided it's too dangerous to ride a fun scooter through London on a regular basis.

My shortlist included Hornet, YBR-250 (on the basis of undesireability and very long tank range, but they're scarce on the ground), FZ6 S2.

My constraints were strong preference for ABS, a post-2007 model because of ULEZ, and nothing new / fancy / too desireable because of thieves and year-round commuting. This ruled out things like MTs.

I ruled out the ER6 because I've already had one and don't want to go back.

I found a decent newish Hornet for relatively cheap (3k) and went with that. Biggest downside is the tank range, I get about 110 miles and fill with 14.5L fuel, normally down to last bar by 90 miles.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a 64 plate CB500X for my commute into work.

Light, piss easy to ride, ULEZ compliant. Cheap to maintain, cheap to insure. Get 200+ miles out of a tank.

Its not going to set the world alight, but I really enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

from what ive looked at and dont mind looking at without wishing i was still on a sports bike i have narrowed it down to:

tracer 700 or 900
CB500x or CB600F/CBF600
Z650 or 900

anything in particular i should worry about with any of these?

going to miss riding a sports bike but comfort is more important now (getting old) and a top box but damn they are ugly

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:55 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Tracers - check oil cooler on front of engine for corrosion. Mate of mine had his rot through after 2 and bit years of use, from brand new. I think it was cud getting stuck around it, then just rotting through some bit so it leaked. Cost him £400-500 odd to replace it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 12 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:
On the Tracers - check oil cooler on front of engine for corrosion. Mate of mine had his rot through after 2 and bit years of use, from brand new. I think it was cud getting stuck around it, then just rotting through some bit so it leaked. Cost him £400-500 odd to replace it.

They were a common failure point generally on the earlier years.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:08 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

cheers all, was watching reviews on the tracer 900 and looks pretty good, going to go test ride one soon, was randomly browsing and a VFR came to mind as a possibility too but maybe too close to a CBR so possibly pointless in terms of comfort. or perhaps I could just find some bar risers for the CBR, how high can they go?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
cheers all, was watching reviews on the tracer 900 and looks pretty good, going to go test ride one soon, was randomly browsing and a VFR came to mind as a possibility too but maybe too close to a CBR so possibly pointless in terms of comfort. or perhaps I could just find some bar risers for the CBR, how high can they go?

The crossrunner varient of the vfr800 is a good, underrated bike, if you can see past it's looks. Upright seating position, flexible engine and nimble about town, much better around town and tight twisties than the normal vfr IMO and you don't lose much high speed ability. No issues filtering either as it's not too wide. The looks are a bit of an acquired taste though and the vfr lump is a bit thirsty. I've had one for about a year now, can be had for a good price. Mine was a bargain meant as a stand in but I like it so much I'm keeping it.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

The crossrunner varient of the vfr800 is a good, underrated bike, if you can see past it's looks. Upright seating position, flexible engine and nimble about town, much better around town and tight twisties than the normal vfr IMO and you don't lose much high speed ability. No issues filtering either as it's not too wide. The looks are a bit of an acquired taste though and the vfr lump is a bit thirsty. I've had one for about a year now, can be had for a good price. Mine was a bargain meant as a stand in but I like it so much I'm keeping it.

I did look at the crossrunner too, looks quite nice tbh. although I have a hatred for the cyclops lights on bikes Sick

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:20 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

saw a triumph tiger today and also a Honda AT, hmmmmmm. think I narrowed it down now to tracer 900, triumph tiger or Honda AT; leaning towards tracer 900

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
saw a triumph tiger today and also a Honda AT, hmmmmmm. think I narrowed it down now to tracer 900, triumph tiger or Honda AT; leaning towards tracer 900

You won't regret the tracer. One of the most entertaining engines I've experienced and works well in that setup.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 14 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they fixed the speed/steering wobble on the Tracer?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:

Get a generic oil cooler on eBay for a tenth of that though

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:28 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

whats this? Neutral

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
M.C wrote:

whats this? Neutral

A violent wobble of the handle bars at speed. I found it happened to me at around 105 mph, but went away around 115mph. It didn't happen when I had a pillion on board. Some people have suggested a change of hand guards fixes it, others luggage, others still suspension set up and many don't experience it at all. It seems to be most likely and aerodynamic issue from the reading I've done.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:27 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A violent wobble of the handle bars at speed. I found it happened to me at around 105 mph, but went away around 115mph. It didn't happen when I had a pillion on board. Some people have suggested a change of hand guards fixes it, others luggage, others still suspension set up and many don't experience it at all. It seems to be most likely and aerodynamic issue from the reading I've done.[/quote]

Shocked doesn't sound great, luckily I'm just a london commuter so barely get above 40mph if I'm lucky! I might keep the old cbr600 if I decide to ride for fun

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tiger is a lovely bike but in London?

Is this your only bike because I would be inclined to go for something cheaper and not nick worthy and have a second bike for enjoyment if you can afford it.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The Tiger is a lovely bike but in London?

Is this your only bike because I would be inclined to go for something cheaper and not nick worthy and have a second bike for enjoyment if you can afford it.

i use my bike purely for commuting, currently on an 02 cbr 600 f4i as i like the look of a sports and the sound minus baffles Rolling Eyes i would still want to get on a bike i dont mind the look of and still has the presence and grunt of a sports, that is why i was edging towards the tracer900. bike is garaged overnight and secure parking at my work sites, guess i just need to watch out for bike jackings and acid attacks but so far ok on the old CBR, them sort of thieves seem to go for scooters rather than proper motorbikes, i doubt they even realize my CBR is 16 years old tbh

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 16 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
kgm wrote:
A violent wobble of the handle bars at speed. I found it happened to me at around 105 mph, but went away around 115mph. It didn't happen when I had a pillion on board. Some people have suggested a change of hand guards fixes it, others luggage, others still suspension set up and many don't experience it at all. It seems to be most likely and aerodynamic issue from the reading I've done.

Shocked doesn't sound great, luckily I'm just a london commuter so barely get above 40mph if I'm lucky! I might keep the old cbr600 if I decide to ride for fun

I've only heard of it happening at high speeds but who's to say it wouldn't happen on the North Circular Smile

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:33 - 03 Dec 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

after looking at bikes in person and having a sit on them I have narrowed it down to the following - will try to test ride most of them

CB650F or CB1000R - coming from a CBR600f4i I am more inclined to the CB over my other choices - bit worried the CB650F may feel sluggish as a drop in BHP from the CBR so contemplating the thou but feel it might be wasted on a London stop-start commute

FZ1/FZ8 - quite like the look of these and were comfy to sit on, hard to come by however and ABS doesn't seem to come up much which I want, unsure if I prefer the look of the FZ or CB tbh

MT09 - very nice looking bike, but in person and sitting on it feels very cheap not sure why and super light, going to test ride it and see what I think - slightly worried if I was to get this one as I know it is a thief magnet

MT10 not a choice but damn that bike is sexy, perhaps my next upgrade in a few years time

I need to stick a top-box on whatever I buy as it is going to be my main transport soon, so the bike still needs to look half-decent with that on Laughing

from the above anything I should pay good attention to? any owners of the above would recommend or steer clear of?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2