Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Short Term Future Classics

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Short Term Future Classics Reply with quote

Morbid thoughts time as a friend has just died.......

I've been trying to think of something a bit different to leave for my grandson for when I myself depart this shitty old world.

He's 4 years old and machinery mad so i was thinking of buying a modern bike and laying it up properly in a drybag and a container for him when he turns 17 or when I snuff it, and it will really really piss off his non motorcycling mother. Twisted Evil

Just in case he turns into a non biking pooftah it might as well be something that will get him a few quid if he decides to sell it.

I was thinking of a Triumph Rocket 3, relatively rare and like it or loath it, one hell of a piece of motorcycle hardware.

What else is there that people would recommend. Max budget about 10 thousand and something that will be desirable in 15 or so years time?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:52 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Grom, just look at what's happened to fizzies.

BMW S1000R? Pretty much broke the mould and gave the green light to everyone else to start with traction control etc.

Tuono V4? Undenialbly batshit mental.

Push your budget a bit and you've got a kawadsaki H2. Forced induction always seems to be a popular

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If think he'd prefer the cash Wink rather than a f**ked old bike he'll have to pay someone to get going again.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good thoughts!

But we are now entering the pinnacle 125cc bubble, and I expect RS125's or Pegaso's to go the way of FS1E's.
I can see the more trendy 2005-2015 plastic sporty scooters going the same way. Speedfight's, Runners, Aerox's etc.

I think BMW R1200GS's will go up as will original Africa Twins and Super Tenere's. They were the first Modern adventure bikes, and started a hugely popular class and genre of motorcycling today.

How about a retro muscle bike or something like a new Kawasaki Z900RS? Retro is still a huge thing for older bikers still alive today and despite lots of people and BCF'ers saying the retro bubble has or would burst, it's not panned out that way yet. There's still plenty of 50-60 somethings with deep pockets that a really good retro bike to take them back to their youth will make their dick rock hard.

Or maybe take a chance on one of the most wacky looking transformers bikes like the MT10 etc, as one day young people might look back all misty eyed over the transformers generation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but by the time he's ready to ride, don't forget, will have to be at least 21 to ride a Rockett, by which time, spares will be hard to come by, and the ice will be well on it's way out..

Why not, an piece of electric motorcycling history, and get a Zero or 1 of the other marques being realesed in the short term. Granted the battery will be buggered, but, replacements should be relatively easy to come by/made up..

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 13 years is enough time for anything to become a classic and hence worthwhile investment. Original R1s are now getting in the frame - aren't they? I'd go for the best of that ilk I could afford.. or 10 grand could just about buy you my big bro's 916 I think..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bequeathed my Grandad's camera.. it aint worth anything, but I do use it.. so how much its not worth, really isn't at issue... it was my Grandads.

I actually also have my Gt Uncle's camera. Grandads's is a 35mm Kodak Retinette, Uncle Johns is a 120 Medium-Format Ziess Ikonta, and at every f-f-f-family get to gether I recall for twenty odd years, the two of them would be arguing over why thier chosen camera was 'better'. Uncle John had been a spotter during WWI and taught to take and develop photo's by the army, and he argued that the enormouse 6x9cm negative and wonderful Ziess optics gave fantastic resolution, and although he could only get I think Eight photo's per roll of film... and that film was 'expensive', he could bring it home, develop it in the kitchen and make contact prints, without an enlarger to go in the album, he could even do it in thier caravan when they went on holiday. Grandad's argument was always "Yes, but COLOUR!" siting that shooting slide-film, he only paid to get it developed and every-one could look at the pictures blown up to the size of a projector screen... which we never did, despite his attempts when all the Christmas goodies had been devoured and novelties had lost thier interest, and he disapeared into the dining room to set up the projector... that perenially had a blown bulb, no shop open between Christmas and new-year sold!!!!

Oh the bisto......

SO! Your bequest aught to have some 'personal' connection and or sentimental value... if it does, what it worth matters little... its the memories that matter.

A bike YOU never ride, wont have any.....

If it turns out to be worth a fortune when he inherits it.... it will be sold... as a financial investment, you would be better off buying bonds or shares in his name every year, that the tax man cant lump in the inheritance taxes and other family members cant argue over.

If it turns out NOT to be worth anything but scrap value... 'cos the oil's run out, or governments Banned bikes, or new test rules say you have to do a double flip back table top in a pink tutu or whatever, its niether the investment you hoped, nor the sentimental memory it could have been, its just a folly.

Most valuable thing you can give the kid?

Time.

You want to piss of motorcycle loathing mother? Take the kid to bike races; to school-boy scrambles; stunt shows, rallies; give him things that will inspire him, invest in his future with things that no-one can take away, here and now, while he can enjoy YOU to go with them.

And knowledge is eternal.... material goods fleeting. Give him your time, and instead of putting stuff in the bank or shed, put it in his head...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 07 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go the whole hog and get something that's going up in value exponentially now, then add enough spares to keep it going, that won't be available in 20 years and will piss off everyone.

I'm thinking a really nice 350LC for around £5K, then the same again in spare parts Twisted Evil

Sounds slightly facetious, but as I've just discovered with my 17 year old scooter, it's the parts situation that will be the ruination of many an old bike and, assuming the grandson just wants to cash in, that could be the way to a small fortune, maybe more so than the actual bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:07 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia SXV?
Prices don't seem to be going down too much and there's nothing really similar.

While I'm sure the S1000RR etc could easily get a cult following - as the early R1 and early blade seem to be - with all of them, there's always been better models evolving from them.

Of course there's some reasons the hand-grenade reliability of the competition twin hasn't justified any competitor models.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha MT01. It's rare and odd enough to have a cult following and prices already seem to be upticking.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes will be banned when he's 17, get him a good quality tin foil hat and a mumsnet subscription.

OGR.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input.

To answer a few points, I do loads with him. We are the Tomy Thomas the tank engine master track builders Cool and he comes on my boats with me with his pirate suit and cutlass. Thumbs Up

I want him to have something a bit different to remember me by. All my grandkids will get a legacy but he's a little bit special and, I hate to say it, but my favourite. He's the only one who gets excited when he's going to visit Grampy.

So maybe a bike, maybe something else but I have no idea what.

ATM I quite like the idea from Shaft of something like an LC and bits but will 2 smokes be allowed at all by then?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 08 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

ATM I quite like the idea from Shaft of something like an LC and bits but will 2 smokes be allowed at all by then?

As linux said, will ICE's of any sort be acceptable then?

My guess is they will be, it's going to take at least that many years to introduce enough of an infrastructure to make electric vehicles a reality for the majority of users, but, even if the LC isn't really usable, it's about legacy.

Who doesn't like to see a mint condition steam traction engine, or the spectacle of the London - Brighton run?

Those machines will never be totally outlawed; you might not be able to use them every day, but you wanted something different..............

Edit My Dad learnt to drive relatively late in life and he picked me up from my birth in his first car, a pre war Morris 8; I wish he'd wrapped in cotton wool and included a few spares that were easy to come by 53 years ago - no bloody good to me as a daily driver, but what a thing to drive around on high days and holidays - instead he took a five pound profit and sold it for a tenner, to some bloke who stopped him in the street.

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:04 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy as much gold as the cost of the bike.
Probably best off with gold Brittanie coins to avoid tax.

Probably make him a very rich young man

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

it's the parts situation that will be the ruination of many an old bike a

That will be much less an issue in future, even now it's less of an issue, as, 3D printing will come to the rescue there..

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

As linux said, will ICE's of any sort be acceptable then?

My guess is they will be, it's going to take at least that many years to introduce enough of an infrastructure to make electric vehicles .

Don't forget, the sale of new petrol & diesel vehicles will be banned from 2040, over here, as it stands already, and they're aiming to bring that banned date down to 2032.. In France & Germany, that date is set for 2030..

Simple economics means, that before then, manufacturers will have moved over to almost entirely to producing electric vehicles, with some token marques continuing until the end..

As the scales tip in the balance of electric vehicles, it's the petrol/diesel infrastructure that will decline to the stage where it will become impractical for everyday usage..

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Don't forget, the sale of new petrol & diesel vehicles will be banned from 2040, over here, as it stands already, and they're aiming to bring that banned date down to 2032.. In France & Germany, that date is set for 2030..

Simple economics means, that before then, manufacturers will have moved over to almost entirely to producing electric vehicles, with some token marques continuing until the end..

As the scales tip in the balance of electric vehicles, it's the petrol/diesel infrastructure that will decline to the stage where it will become impractical for everyday usage..

I understood it as, the sale on any "conventional" ICE vehicle will be banned, Hybrids will still be allowed, and technically a car with Start/Stop technology is a hybrid (albeit, a very mild hybrid)

Quote:
The UK has pledged that half of all new car sales will be hybrid or electric by 2030 as part of its “Road to Zero” plan to reduce vehicle emissions, published on Monday.

The new policy outlines for the first time how the UK plans to reach its goal of ending the sales of “conventional” petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040, but it stops short of a complete ban on petrol and diesel vehicles.

https://www.ft.com/content/30f7e328-8372-11e8-96dd-fa565ec55929

Last edited by rpsmith79 on 12:52 - 09 Nov 2018; edited 2 times in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, true, but as most manufacturers aren't going down the hybrid route, it will be increasingly economically unviable for petrol stations to remain, or certainly for the number of current petrol station to be maintained.. Couple that with ever increasing pressure to bring forward the date.. I really wouldn't count on a traditional fueled vehicle as a long term investment

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Jock wrote:
Buy as much gold as the cost of the bike.
Probably best off with gold Brittanie coins to avoid tax.

Probably make him a very rich young man

All my grandkids will get the same monetary/investment wise.

This is meant to be something a little bit special for a little guy who really is fun to be with. Something he will (hopefully) treasure.

It doesn't have to be expensive, that 10g was a figure for a bike, something else might be more or less.

So, widening the remit, is there anything else people could suggest?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Yes, true, but as most manufacturers aren't going down the hybrid route, it will be increasingly economically unviable for petrol stations to remain, or certainly for the number of current petrol station to be maintained.. Couple that with ever increasing pressure to bring forward the date.. I really wouldn't count on a traditional fueled vehicle as a long term investment

And the 1st person to work out how a 3 car family living on a row of terraced houses (without designated parking spaces) will all charge their car overnight will be a multimillionaire

But we are going totally off topic now

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
I really wouldn't count on a traditional fueled vehicle as a long term investment

I would've thought that when ICEs are finally completely redundant, that's when examples of the better ones will really soar in value, as collector's pieces, even though no longer allowed on the roads? But 2030/2040 is a while away, and it might take some time after that to really see the value increase - maybe another generation or two?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

And the 1st person to work out how a 3 car family living on a row of terraced houses (without designated parking spaces) will all charge their car overnight will be a multimillionaire

But we are going totally off topic now

Multi-level parking, i.e. people have their own mini multi-storey car parks. Or houses built with underground parking, as per much of Europe.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take on a project and do something 'different'. He will treasure something a lot more if it's something Grampy made than just a bike that he maybe doesn't appreciate is a 'classic'.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Why not go the whole hog and get something that's going up in value exponentially now, then add enough spares to keep it going, that won't be available in 20 years and will piss off everyone.

Like that guy on The Motorbike Show, who was a born again biker, always wanted a Honda CBX so bought 39 of them: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6q3f0f [22min/22secs]... refresh if you get an advert.

This is what I mean when I talk about old weird men hogging all the classics Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 09 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying 39 of the same model is certainly weird behaviour in my book. You'd have thought he'd make it 40, a nice round number Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2